Portable wheel holder for tyre repairs

Share your inventions, innovations & ideas – words are good but images are GREAT!
dieseltojo
Major contributor

Re: Portable wheel holder for tyre repairs

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:55 pm

Good idea OT,
I carry a spare carcase on rough trips as well. Never a joy to fit them but it’s better than being caught out.

The hardest part but the most fun is setting the tyre back on the rim. Been a witness to a “lpg”
method and an “Ether motorstart spraycan” method. :D
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

geoff&glen
Been here for a while

Post by geoff&glen » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:19 pm

thanks for the photos O/T that should do the job but as J R says lifting the car could be a problem , as you say you have tried it hope you don’t have to use it would be a bonus .I would be carrying a repair kit with could get you out of trouble a bit easier .good luck
Geoff&Glen
2013 Isuzu d max
2014 Jurgens Tooradin j26 series

jock
Rising star

Post by jock » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:24 am

O.T…..On the other hand !!!!! allthough I was one to suggest that, on this particular trip, it is adviseable to take 2 spares for the tug and 2 for the van,,,I forgot to mention when you indicated that you would be taking an extra casing to roadsise repair in necessary, that there are plenty of places along your routes that have tyre changing facilities including Marree, Mungerannie Hotel on the Birdsville track, Birdsville, Lyndhurst and I think Arkaroola.
So it would be highly unlikely that you would need to carry out your own tyre fitting operations. Also, I presume that you are in the RACV.

Have a great trip (make sure you take your fly net hats)

Jock :)

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks Jock for the update and good wishes :)

You were one of several that recommended 2 spares. I agree that the likelihood of multiple failures is low but us Techos have a reputation for never being caught short. I am not one that takes kindly to being stuck anywhere and having to call upon help.

The last time I called for help was in 1965 and only after 2 tyre failures within 10 minutes – on the Hume highway no less, somewhere a bit north of the famous Pretty Sally hill. I called the RACV at nearly midnight and a grumpy man came and repaired only one flat. I travelled on, but only for a half-dozen miles before the tyre deflated again. So that was 3 flats.

Being miles from anywhere, between towns, what happened next made me an absolute legend. After considerable preparation I completed the trip to Melbourne in the wee hours of the morning…… with only 3 wheels fitted to my 1964 Falcon, and no damage done. Many people know about this but nobody here – that I’m aware of.

The reason for the 2 original failures was the only half-worn Pirelli tyres fitted with tubes (pre-tubeless days) both split in identical places and only about 10 miles apart. That is what I call brilliant quality control with uncanny use-by precision before the term use-by was invented. I had Pirelli radials on the rear (I was ahead of my time) and some other local brand cross-plies on the front. One day I may write the book that I was urged to do decades ago :rolleyes:
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi OT,
Pirelli that’s interesting the only time I have ever had real tyre problems was back in the eighties going from Roper Bar to Burketown even had the tow bar on the 60 Series unbolt and almost lost the van. Really not related to the types you are talking about as I was using the new Pirelli Scorpion they were supposed to be the greatest thing out for off road rallies at the time. Changed from BF Goodrich never again. That was the trip I used six type plugs in the one cut. The Scorpions were brand new when I left home and after 14,000K’s through them away. May be the latest Scorpions are OK but not when they first appeared.

Loved the old Pirelli Cinturatoes on the Austin Lancer back in the sixties and of cause the long wearing steel Michelin X, really the only two tyres worth having then.

JR
:razz:

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:09 pm

Brian wrote:Hi OT, I am interested in your front hitch. Have you done a post on this, I tried search but did not find it.
They are very handy, I had one back in the 70s on a falcon ute. But I thought with front air bag sensors it was very hard to fit anything under the front.
Any photos and info would be welcome. Brian.
G’day Brian,

I just found your post as a result of my tractor flat tyre. Sorry I am 3 years late :oops:

Here are the pics… http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic … 75#p186675
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Plumbum
On a roll

Post by Plumbum » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:19 pm

Old Techo wrote:
Brian wrote:Hi OT, I am interested in your front hitch. Have you done a post on this, I tried search but did not find it.
They are very handy, I had one back in the 70s on a falcon ute. But I thought with front air bag sensors it was very hard to fit anything under the front.
Any photos and info would be welcome. Brian.
G’day Brian,

I just found your post as a result of my tractor flat tyre. Sorry I am 3 years late :oops:

Here are the pics… http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic … 75#p186675
Cricket is supposed to be a five day game :mrgreen:

Return to “PICS – unsung inventions & ideas”