Problem with EMG website

Tell us your thoughts on the C&M magazine
Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Re: Problem with EMG website

Post by Old Techo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:16 pm

glanyard wrote: OT,
I would be interested in your assessment of that item.
glanyard
Glannie, it arrived today.

I wondered how it may work as on 12 volts and limited amps it would be no match for an air powered rattle gun. It had to be some technique of developing inertia using high revs with a low mass then delivering with a single blow, much the same as using a hammer.

Due to rain I gave it a limited test on the Prado wheels. The nuts can be pretty tight after not being touched for quite a while. Plugging into the ciggie lighter and with engine off the tool ran developing speed for 3 seconds or so then stopped with a single ‘whack’. Must be some sort of dropped clutch arrangement. The wheel nut undid about 1 quarter of a hex on the first whack and I thought that was pretty good. Keeping finger on trigger the next whack was half a hex and the third a full hex and I stopped there. Certainly quite effective. I repeated the test on another wheel with same results.

When things dry out enough I’ll test the van wheels as they are even tighter.

Initial impression was quite good but wait for more complete testing.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:48 pm

Glannie, the sun shone today so out to the van in the shed.

I have my house battery on the rear bumper and it’s only a Prado cranking bat, not a deep cycle. The impact wrench cable is fitted with a ciggie lighter plug but also supplied are alligator clips wired to a ciggie socket. Using both I connected to said bat and the first test would be… does the 12 volt cable reach the front tandem wheel, and it just did.

My van wheel nuts are always quite tight as I retighten all 20 of them several times during a trip if the wheels have been off. So they take a fair cracking with a X-brace. I chose a nut and marked its exact position with a whiteboard marker. Positioned the new tool and pressed the button. After 2 or 3 seconds of wind up it went ‘whack’ and the nut immediately moved about 2 or 3 mm. Kept going and another 3 or 4 ‘whacks’ then the nut spun off quickly. This all took no more than 10 seconds. I then tightened the nut to the same marked spot and it took a similar few ‘whacks’. Once again I was quite impressed :D

I repeated the same test on 2 more nuts, different wheels, and exactly the same.

So as an impact tool it certainly does the job. The only unknown is the tool longevity. That won’t be known until somebody breaks or wears one out. That won’t be me as at home I have my air rattle guns.
Regards, Old Techo

JackDriver
On a roll

Post by JackDriver » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:16 pm

OT,

I’ve had one of the EMG 12V impact wrenches for four or five years now. Works a treat, especially on the caravan wheel nuts. I use it every time I do a tyre rotation or brake check on all both vehicles and the caravan. Mine cost me $99 though. :-x

Cheers,
JackDriver
Jackaroo 3L T/D MY 2000
Prattline Lo-Tow MY 1993

Jeffie
An old hand

Post by Jeffie » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:19 pm

OT, Glanyard etc,

Received my impact tool a couple of days ago so just now went out to try to remove the wheel nuts on the Navara.
4 wacks and the nut spun off, 3 wacks and back on again, used the wheel brace to finish off but could not tighten any more.
Tried a few others with the same result.
Sure beats using the wheel brace and a length of pipe to remove them.

Battery I used was a 10 year old 12v ride-on mower battery.

Only time will tell regarding longevity.

Jeff
Jeff & Heather
Isuzu MU-X LST
Coronet Grand Prince.

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:09 pm

Thank you Jeffie for verifying my tests.

Thank you Jack for your report on significant use and reliability. I’m sure that is reassuring for all players :D

Think positive. Perhaps 4 or 5years ago they were better quality and worth twice the current price. Also unlike current buyers you have been enjoying the benefit for years ;-)

Glannie… where are you?
Regards, Old Techo

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:50 pm

Glannie…. over here old son :!: :!: :!:
Regards, Old Techo