Small mods, big difference!

Have you done some nice upgrades on your RV? We would love to hear about them!
Joseph vW
Ex-staff

Small mods, big difference!

Post by Joseph vW » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:52 pm

We’ve had a great response to the “Readers’ Van Upgrades” article in C&M 175 about John and Susan Robbins’ mods to their 2007 Coromal van and John has kindly agreed to answer and queries that members may have about the mods that he has done. Remember that at the time of writing John had listed 77 mods and naturally we didn’t have space to cover them all. However, here is the list that John sent us:

1. Changed all external plated self-tappers to 316 stainless steel.
2. Fitted coloured snap caps to all window frame self-tappers (colour matched to van)
3. Fitted explore through the wall 12 volt signal boasted TV connection.
4. Fitted through the wall eze eye for direct aerial cable connection to TV.
5. Fitted LEDS to external light fittings.
6. Fitted extra mud/ stone flaps to front and rear of van.
7. Fitted aluminum stowage box to under R/H side in front of wheel to stow sink drain hoses.
8. Fitted to A-frame portable twin F/W filters for use when connected to parks water supply.
9. Fitted extra jockey wheel bracket to right side of A-frame for mule type jockey wheel.
10. Welded a second safety chain to R/H side of draw bar so they are crossed when connected.
11. Installed LED high level brake light to rear of van.
12. Installed spare wheel cover, JAYCO brand.
13. Fitted full width stainless steel towel rail to rear of van.
14. Fitted heavy duty PVC drain valve to F/W tank complete will support bracket.
15. Fitted sheet metal protection in front of F/W tank drain valve.
16. Installed vinyl cover over external A/C panel it is secured to panel with chrome press studs.
17. Fitted a more secure gas bottle stowage bracket in boot.
18. Installed a 12 volt light in boot.
19. Mounted all tools and ready use items using nylon clips to rear panel in boot.
20. Fitted to drain fitting on underside of boot a PVC venture pipe to remove any LPG gas fumes.
21. Secured to rear of van DO NOT OVER TAKE TURNING VEHICLE sign IAW RTA rules.
22. Had made shade cloth awning for R/H side of van to shade windows and A/C unit.
23. Fitted 12 volt on demand F/W pump for sink under van .
24. Fitted S/S eyes on each end of sail track to run guy ropes through for awning on R/H side .
25. Fitted BIG FOOT feet on all wind down legs.
26. Fitted stainless steel eyes to roll out awning legs to secure clothes line too.
27. Fitted Velcro straps to roll out awning frames to secure it during travelling.
28. Fitted LED light inside fuse panel compartment.
29. Fitted 7 pin flat socket to inside of A frame to plug in vans plug to protect it from weather.
30. Fitted 12 volt 2 pin socket from vans battery to run Engel fridge in rear of vehicle if required.
31. Fitted aluminum 12 mm angle to each end of sail track on pop top roof to divert water run off
32. Manufactured portable step to assess entering van when sites make the vans step too high.
33. Fitted nylon guides to draw bar brackets to take the creaking out of WDH bars.
34. Fitted extra reflectors to front and rear of van.
35. Fitted drain line under L/H rear of van with removable stand pipe for washing machine drain.
36. Fitted PVC pipe from sink drain under van, coming out under the A-frame and has a screwed connection to match the drain hose for ease of connecting.
37. Fitted aerial telescopic pole mounting brackets to A-frame and one on rear bumper bar.
38. Fitted PVC pipe stowage on rear bumper bar with screwed lockable cap to hold long items.
39. Fitted 2 new taps to sink one for vans water tank the other for town water when connected.
40. Rerun a new PVC drain line for sink up against back wall of sink cupboard to free up self space.
41. Fitted C TEK battery monitor to panel next to sink for checking battery condition.
42. Made and fitted to bench top near sink a stowage to hold detergent and hand wash bottles.
43. Manufactured a new cutlery draw and fitted into the front paneling to the right of the sink.
44. Changed the hinged down door under the fridge to a draw complete with extension runners.
45. Fitted battery operated wireless temperature gauge for fridge on panel next to sink.
46. Fitted nylon toggles to all zipper pulls on pop top sock to make using zippers easier.
47. Had extra power points fitted in areas that they were lacking from builder.
48. Installed extra LED light above sink.
49. Changed out all internal lights globs to LED were possible.
50. Fitted chrome towel rail near sink.
51. Fitted paper towel dispenser in kitchen area.
52. Fitted adjustable support arm for LCD TV.
53. Mounted micro waive to bench top above fridge.
54. Fitted a 240 volt hand vac.
55. Fitted hook to secure dust pan and broom.
56. Wife made a soft cover for fitting to TV for protection when travelling.
57. Fitted out the 3 wire baskets under the hot plates to hold dinner plates, pots and pans etc
58. Fitted out pull out pantry to hold cups, glasses tea and coffee containers etc.
59. Installed below pull out pantry in a second pull out basket to hold ready use items.
60. Fitted inside outside temperature gauge on fixed window glass.
61. Installed battery clock in panel between locker doors above bed.
62. Closed in area around portable toilet under bed.
63. Fitted 12 volt socket to outside of van for LED strip light that fits on curved roof rafter.
64. Fitted 2 mini 12 volt LED lights to vans entry step well to make using steps at night safer.
65. Fitted up rated gas shocks to bed lift up frame and front boot door.
66. Fitted spring loaded keep rods on shelves inside large pantry.
67. Fitted off centre adjustable bracket to dining table top.
68. Fitted clothes drying lines to pull down handles on ceiling.
69. Fitted water filter under sink to service onboard water tank.
70. Fitted 12 volt gas detector unit in kitchen area.
71. Fitted telescopic mirror on side of cupboard. (for wife doing make up etc)
72. Fitted hat stowage to ceiling above bed.
73. Manufactured portable stowage box to hold wedge shaped TV aerial secure when travelling.
74. Replaced original supplied mattress with ‘made to measure mattresses’ from Queensland.
75. Replaced original pull out bed extension press metal runners with solid 6mm thick metal ones.
76. Fitted on- off switch for 12 volt water pump on panel in front of sink
77. Fitted RV Electronics single tank water gauge

If you would like to know more about any of these mods then feel free to post your question here and John will likely be able to answer it for you.

Regards,
Joseph van Woerkom
Former electrical engineer
Now C&M Technical Editor, 4WD & towing instructor
2000 Holden Jackaroo 3L Auto T/D
1993 Prattline Lo-Tow
[email protected]

Joseph vW
Ex-staff

Re: Small mods, big difference!

Post by Joseph vW » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:59 pm

OK, I'll start the ball rolling by posting one of the responses that we have received from (name withheld)

In response to candm advice on page 134, could you please put me in touch with John and Susan Robbins re their small mods list as follows:

• Nylon Bearings for WDHs:
o what brand of WDH they have done this to ?
o what rating of hitch do they have ?
o were the holes in the hitch drilled out ?
o was this agreed by the manufacturer ?
o who is the supplier of nylon bearings ?
o in view of the forces involved, is there excessive wear in the nylon bearings ?
• possible supply of the complete list of mods ? Sounds good !
(see initial post)

I like the summary re "It is the attention to the little things that make the whole greater than the sum of its parts". Very well put.

OK John, over to you!
Joseph van Woerkom
1993 Prattline Lo-Tow
[email protected]

robbo2
I'm new, be nice!

Post by robbo2 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi frosty Williams
What you have asked is not what you are looking for as my WDH is the 4 bar sheperds crook type from camac not the haman reese type hope this gives you some sort of a answer

John Robbins

Joseph vW
Ex-staff

Post by Joseph vW » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:16 am

Hi John,

We've had a few people ask about the hat storage idea you have on the ceiling on the van. Could you let the readers know where they can get these spring clips?

Cheers,
Joseph van Woerkom
1993 Prattline Lo-Tow
[email protected]

robbo2
I'm new, be nice!

Post by robbo2 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:07 pm

:razz: Hi fellow vaners
Some of you have been asking were i brought the spring loaded m/s steel hat stowage from .Ipurchased it from a local saddlery shop in my area, if you done not have a saddlery shop in your area may be try the 4wd shops like TJM, ARB ETC hope this is of some assistance to the many who have inquired about this item,

GOOD LUCK OR SHOULD I SAY GOOD HUNTING
YOUR FELLOW VANNER
JOHN ROBBINS

robbo2
I'm new, be nice!

Post by robbo2 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:19 pm

:razz: THE HAT HOLDER PEOPLE ARE ASKING ABOUT IS AVAIBLE FROM A 4X4 COMPANY CALLED PIRANHA OFF ROAD PRODUCTS AND THE ITEM IS CALLED HATSAVE SPRING LOADED HAT HOLDER

HOPES THIS HELPS GOOD HUNTING AND HAPPY VANNING
YOURS JOHN ROBBINS

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:33 pm

Hi robbo2,
I reckon you have to watch those hat holders if they are the wire type that holds the hat up side down. My hat hug in one for 9 months and I just left it there. The out side edges sagged in time, and ruined the hat. I removed the holder and it was hanging in the shed , till I gave it away.
I soaked the band and tried to flatten it with poor results. The old acubra never recovererd. Finished up looking like me , a bit second hand. :D
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

robbo2
I'm new, be nice!

Re: View new posts

Post by robbo2 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:33 pm

:razz: Hi fellow vanners i am robbo2 whos van was featured in issue 175 as small mods big difference ,a lot of vanners have been asking about the hat stowage i fitted to the ceiling of my van well after a lot of searching i have found a company who stocks them there name is PIRANHA OFF ROAD PRODUCTS AND THE ITEM IS CALLED HATSAVE SPRING LOADED HAT HOLDER,
HOPE THIS IS OF SOME ASSISTANCE AND ALL I CAN SAY IS HAPPY HUNTING
YOUR FELLOW VANNER
JOHN ROBBINS
[email protected]

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:35 pm

DT,
When we had a slouch hat (Hat, Khaki, Fur, Felt) problem in the Army, it was fixed using a wet cloth (Handkerchief, Cotton, for blowing noses) and an iron. This action flattened the brim like new. The shape (bash) of the crown was always done when the hat was wet.
glanyard

Return to “Readers' RV Upgrades”