View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 lr licence 

Post lr licence
Hi all, we are purchasing a new custom built motorhome, it will be built next year. I am a disabled driver and the problem is I have to get the LR licence before I pick the vehicle up. I live in Newcastle and the MH is being built in Victoria. just wondered if anyone has been in the same or similar situation or if anyone can offer some advice

Tony

Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:20 pm

Post Re: lr licence
Tony,

You will need to obtain a LR/MR licence before you pick it up. You can either checkout your local yellow pages for an individual or a company that is a licenced assesor for the RTA. You will need to visit the RTA and place in an application for a LR licence. This will cost you money.
Before you get your log books you will need to sit a computer exam on general road rules and truck based questions.
You can use the RTA website to access the questions that will be asked and you can take the trial test in your own time and as many times as you like regardless wether you get them right or wrong.
You will be required to take the actual test at your local RTA office and if you pass the test you will then be given an eyesight test and a log book which you will hand to you assesor to fill out as he or she takes you through your assement of your driving skills. This assesment part will take about 5 hours plus and will cost you about $700.

When you find an assesor I am sure they will take you through all the requirments that you need to carry out.

Hope this answer some of your queries.

John

Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:41 pm

Ersko wrote:
Tony,

You will need to obtain a LR/MR licence before you pick it up. You can either checkout your local yellow pages for an individual or a company that is a licenced assesor for the RTA. You will need to visit the RTA and place in an application for a LR licence. This will cost you money.
\Before you get your log books you will need to sit a computer exam on general road rules and truck based questions.
John

John .The LR licence is for a motorhome so no log book is required,a log book is only required for a commercial vehicle ,and as pointed out on another forum, they may only accept the actual vehicle that you're going to drive as it will have hand controls fitted to suit the person aplying for the LR licence.
The ONLY factual answer to the question will be from the RTA.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:48 pm

G'day tony,

Contact these people www.australianmotorhomes.com.au they should be able to assist with your enquiry and for the liscence trainining/assessing in your area.
Cheers,

PeterM.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi Wanderer

The log book I was refering to was the book that the driving assesor will use to tick off all of the points that you show compentancy in whilst you are doing you assesment driving course. If he passes you then you need to take this book completed and signed by him or her to the RTA so that they can issue with a licence

My assesor told me that it makes no difference whether I went for LR or MR as the vehicle and assesment is exactly the same. So I went for a MR.
This was approx. 18 months ago for the very same reason as Tony needs one.

I was taken in his MR set up as he explained I am going for a MR licence not just a licence to drive a particular motorhome. A bit like you dont just get a licence to drive a Ford or a Holden.

Anyhow the best people to get all the right info from will be your local RTA.

Anyhow hope to see you all out there.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]