View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Dometic fridge freezing up 

Post Dometic fridge freezing up
I posted this previously in Tech Talk but may be better here.
We have a new van with a 3 way Dometic fridge model RM2553. We've had smaller ones before and no problems but this one has ice blocking about 60% of the fins inside the cabinet after about 3 weeks of continuous operation on 240v. The door seems to be sealed OK when closed and the van is level. It's only set to "3" and has no trouble freezing stuff in the freezer compartment. I defrosted it this morning and will try again. The manual says "defrost regularly" but I would have thought 3 weeks is a bit soon? What is the general experience?

Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:43 am

Does anything freeze up in the cabinet? If so, turn the thermostat down to 1 or 2. If it still freezes up, check that the capillary tube sensor(see picture) is mounted in the evaporator plate correctly. It should be held in by a plate with 2 securing screws with the tip of the sensor at the top of the holder but not sticking out of the holder. If this is o/k and the refrigerator freezes in the cabinet on a low setting, you have a thermostat problem. If it does not overfreeze, but still builds up ice on the evaporator, it generally means that you are getting air in somehow. Recheck your door seal using a thin piece of paper, insert between door seal and cabinet surround(were door seal closes against) and make sure there is some sort of grip on it. Also check, if you can, that no air is getting through were the capillary tube and the defrost drainage tube go through the wall of the refrigerator.
Leo
[ATTACH]2725[/ATTACH]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:21 am

I've just checked the capillary tube and it is mounted OK as you described. Nothing else in the fridge has frozen up.
After defrosting, I turned the fridge down to between 2 and 3 and, so far, no ice build up. Ice cream is still hard and ice cubes form as they should in the freezer.
I'll check the door seals in a few days if I have problems. It is a new fridge with magnetic door seals so hopefully should be OK.
Perhaps the door wasn't closed properly for a while before allowing moisture to build up.
Thanks again,
Ken

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]