View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 snorkel 

Post snorkel
Hi TJM could you please give me the pros and cons of fitting a snorkel to my R51 diesel pathfinder Regards Diwayne

Sun May 02, 2010 1:57 pm

benefits of a snorkel if travelling in dusty areas is the air intake is higher so yoou can get cleaner air also handy if crossing creeks to stop motor sucking water and doing damage to engine
cheers phil

BONNIE THE SPOILT DOG[color=#FF0000][/color]

Sat May 22, 2010 7:48 am

Australian 4WD Action magazine No 123, September 2008 had fuel saving features which included the snorkel.
The test was with an 80 Series cruiser and resulted in a 9.2% fuel saving. The other benefits are as mentioned earlier, clean and dry air.

Sat May 22, 2010 8:48 am

I have no personal experience with snorkels, so this is simply a report I've heard from a snorkel user.

The actual item is only as good as the installer.
Apparently there can be problems if the components are not fitted correctly, by allowing it to suck water and dirt through bad joins.
Has anyone had this problem ?

;)
The Signs & Decal Caravan
http://forum.candm.com.au/album.php?albumid=16

Sat May 22, 2010 9:07 am

I have a snorkel on my Patrol and the air cleaner seems to stay very clean for longer. I have also been through some deep water more than once and having that fitted I know the motor won't suck in water and hydraulic, If this was to happen its expensive. The only problem I have had is water filling up my headlights.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:49 pm

The snorkel does not automatically prevent the ingress of water while making deep crossings. There is also an element of common sense and experience which comes into the equasion. If water crossings are not to be attempted, there is definitely a benefit associated with a reduction of dust, as quoted above. Another way to prevent dust ingestion is to hang back a bit further until the dust has cleared. Of course this is almost impossible with oncoming traffic. As for an improvement in economy, I have had snorkels on my last 4 outfits, 47 Series Tojo, 60 Series Tojo, 80 Series Tojo and my current 100 Series. I have yet to notice any improvement in economy, so don't rush out an have one fitted if that is the sole reason. You will be dissapointed.
ARB seem to do a good job, they have fitted all of mine with no problems whatsoever.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]