View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 signs and murals 

Post signs and murals
hi everyone my husband and i are thinking very seriously about renting out the house and hitting the road for a few years. Unfortunately we will still need to earn some money. We have all the equipment to make small signs on cars and vans and my husband is also a very good airbrush artist. I would love to hear any feedback positive or negative on whether this would be a viable business on the road Cheers

Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:29 pm

Post Re: signs and murals
Maybe not viable as a business Kay, but could add a bit to the purse. We noticed a mobile sign writing outfit that came in and camped at a gravel pit where we were on night. We did not get to speak to them. If you find small towns without sign writing services, you could canvas the businesses and maybe get a bit of trade.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:21 pm
Profile WWW

we plan to put signs and murals on our own van and car and hopefully get a bit of business if not i can always fall back to nursing but ….after 40 years i am a bit over it hahahah thanks for your reply

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop
We do have a sign maker who is a member here, Lance is his name and I know he has a portable machine he often takes away with him, the other thing you could do is see if you can get astall at local markets on your travels, might get some buisness that way, good luck with it.
Frank

BLOGS
http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com
http://thewesternadventure.blogspot.com/

Also member of Travellers chat

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:14 pm

Frank & Brenda wrote:
We do have a sign maker who is a member here, Lance is his name and I know he has a portable machine he often takes away with him, the other thing you could do is see if you can get astall at local markets on your travels, might get some buisness that way, good luck with it.
Frank

We also have a friend in Queensland who takes his portable set up in his motorhome, looks for towns with weekend markets and sets up there, does a pretty good trade in smallish out of the way off the beaten track towns.

Http://www.travellerschat.proboards.com/index.cgi

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:16 pm
Profile WWW

Hi kayrob, we were in Cloncurry in mid July and we seen a signwriter in the park and he did my "UHF" channel numbers for me and he told me he had more work that he needed in the town and only wanted to stay for 2 weeks and was there for nearly 6 weeks. He had his his lap top and cutting machine in the annexe, has his name on the sides & rear of his ute and told me he was getting plenty of work as he travelled. Would pay the fuel bill OK i would think?? ;-)

Cheers
OGF

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:37 pm

kayrob wrote:
hi everyone my husband and i are thinking very seriously about renting out the house and hitting the road for a few years. Unfortunately we will still need to earn some money. We have all the equipment to make small signs on cars and vans and my husband is also a very good airbrush artist. I would love to hear any feedback positive or negative on whether this would be a viable business on the road Cheers

Small signs – perhaps you could advertise examples on ebay with a web link to an advertising site. You don’t need a fixed address as you can make them and post them from anywhere around Australia (after you have been paid).

Peanut

Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:49 am

If you husband is capable of very large murals maybe he could appfroach some of the many local governments in the country to have some of their commercial buildings exposed to murals depicting the history of the area. Could keep him in work for months.
I recall that the township of Sheffield in Tasmania was heading to become a ghost town, until the town fathers introduced the murals on local business walls. The town is now a must see tourist attraction when in Tasmania.
Good Luck
Jay&Dee

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:08 pm

JayDee wrote:
If you husband is capable of very large murals maybe he could appfroach some of the many local governments in the country to have some of their commercial buildings exposed to murals depicting the history of the area. Could keep him in work for months.
I recall that the township of Sheffield in Tasmania was heading to become a ghost town, until the town fathers introduced the murals on local business walls. The town is now a must see tourist attraction when in Tasmania.
Good Luck
Jay&Dee

With the air brush that should be a go-er

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:12 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the great ideas we will let you all know how we get on

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next