Pathfinder R50 Towbar

No longer serviced by TJM but retained for reference and still open to members
Crazyhorse

Pathfinder R50 Towbar

Post by Crazyhorse » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi, while I appreciate all the assistance I get from forum members normally, I have a question for TJM amd I am willing to wait for the answer.

I have a R50 2001 Pathy with a genuine Nissan towbar Part Number C91640W001A which is labeled as rated to 2000KG towing capacity.

It does not have a square hitch, it has a tongue attached to the bar with 2 HT bolts. I have always been a little wary of this bar as every other bar I have seen rated this high has a 50MM square hitch.

Can I have your advice, reassurance or concerns please?
2000 Pathfinder 4X4
2005 Traveller 17.5 foot van

Dunaruna

Post by Dunaruna » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:43 pm

I have never heard of a class 2 towbar rated at 2000kg, interesting to hear the reply from TJM.

Lance

Post by Lance » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Does it look as though the rivets may have been replaced at some stage ?
Doesn't sound right to me either.
Did you buy the vehicle with that T/Bar fitted, or did you get it done ?
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

TJM 4WD

Post by TJM 4WD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:02 pm

TJM does not manufacture towbars but Hayman Reese is a major manufacture in the market place .. The OE towbar you have would be manufactured to Nissan specs for the vehicle .. some towbars are rated on chassis ability to support weight .. the 50mm square hitch is a much better form of towbar but can still carry the same rating on some vehicles .. on a 4wd basis the hitch can double for a recovery point with a hitch replacement attachment with a bow shackle attached..

Brad

rooty

R50 Towbar

Post by rooty » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:37 am

Your OE Nissan towbar was made and fitted in Australia. Made possibly by Hayman Reese or another leading towbar manufacturer and most likely fitted at original delivery by a Dealer. Been a Nissan Service Manager for too many years and never yet heard of a problem with that towbar when used correctly and within spec. The later model bars with square hitches are merely the next generation of bar design. Hope that helps.
Rooty
Nissan Navara & Regal RSV

Crazyhorse

Thanks Brad & Rooty

Post by Crazyhorse » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks guys...this has worried me for years and Nissan always said "of course its fine" - but they would... wouldn't they?

H/R guy at a caravan show last year said no way, and no way we can fit our load levelling bars...reckoned the bar must be only rated 500KG

The information from you guys has helped a lot, and I appreciate it (and take back my old man grizzle about no response with an abject apology Brad)
2000 Pathfinder 4X4
2005 Traveller 17.5 foot van

Return to “TJM”