View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Pathfinder R50 Towbar 

Post Pathfinder R50 Towbar
Hi, while I appreciate all the assistance I get from forum members normally, I have a question for TJM amd I am willing to wait for the answer.

I have a R50 2001 Pathy with a genuine Nissan towbar Part Number C91640W001A which is labeled as rated to 2000KG towing capacity.

It does not have a square hitch, it has a tongue attached to the bar with 2 HT bolts. I have always been a little wary of this bar as every other bar I have seen rated this high has a 50MM square hitch.

Can I have your advice, reassurance or concerns please?

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:18 pm

I have never heard of a class 2 towbar rated at 2000kg, interesting to hear the reply from TJM.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Does it look as though the rivets may have been replaced at some stage ?
Doesn't sound right to me either.
Did you buy the vehicle with that T/Bar fitted, or did you get it done ?

;)
The Signs & Decal Caravan
http://forum.candm.com.au/album.php?albumid=16

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm

TJM does not manufacture towbars but Hayman Reese is a major manufacture in the market place .. The OE towbar you have would be manufactured to Nissan specs for the vehicle .. some towbars are rated on chassis ability to support weight .. the 50mm square hitch is a much better form of towbar but can still carry the same rating on some vehicles .. on a 4wd basis the hitch can double for a recovery point with a hitch replacement attachment with a bow shackle attached..

Brad

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:02 pm

Post R50 Towbar
Your OE Nissan towbar was made and fitted in Australia. Made possibly by Hayman Reese or another leading towbar manufacturer and most likely fitted at original delivery by a Dealer. Been a Nissan Service Manager for too many years and never yet heard of a problem with that towbar when used correctly and within spec. The later model bars with square hitches are merely the next generation of bar design. Hope that helps.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:37 am

Post Thanks Brad & Rooty
Thanks guys...this has worried me for years and Nissan always said "of course its fine" - but they would... wouldn't they?

H/R guy at a caravan show last year said no way, and no way we can fit our load levelling bars...reckoned the bar must be only rated 500KG

The information from you guys has helped a lot, and I appreciate it (and take back my old man grizzle about no response with an abject apology Brad)

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]