View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Converting an on road van to off road 

Post Converting an on road van to off road
Hi,
I want to modify an older (1980's) on road jayco campervan so it is better suitable to travel on rougher tracks, nothing extreme though.

Has anyone done this that could provide me with some information on how they did it and what they did?

Thanks,
Gary

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:44 am

Quick and simple is to move your axle from inside your leaf springs to under them (known as a spring over conversion) will give you a bunch more clearance and allow some bigger tyres to match your tow vehicle.

Bigger tyres also have less bump over an imperfection in the road than small ones.

Look at your A frame and chassis, the offroad jaycos have a beefier chassis and you may need to add some reinforcement.

If in doubt get work like that done by a qualified professional

Sean

Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:52 am

Oh and a pair of shocks would be a good idea too :)

Sean

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:01 am

A couple more comments on the subject, early Jayco’s used what I call the standard Holden axle and the Jayco suspension was as hard as a rock (slipper leaf spring) so it does not take much to bend an axle. Another issue was they used the old electric brake solenoids (round ones) and they soon flogged out on rough roads and also damaged the drum surface.
Another option but not as cheap is to fit longer softer leafs of good quality with shocks and update the axle to the Falcon size bearings which will still fit your drum hub. You can still under sling the axle but may not need to with better set springs.

Just noticed this thread is a bit old so you may not see it Gary.
JR

Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 am

It is curious why a thread from 3 months ago about suspension under a Jayco camper would be moved into a section for questions to TJM....

I have a feeling that whoever is in control of the thread moving has little idea of what TJM do, or doesn't really care what threads go where as long as there's a few in each section....

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:26 am

sorry for the delayed response ... The conversion is not in our field but we could help with some shocks if you could supply the compression and extentions you require ..

Brad

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:39 pm

It's ok Brad, I already have a shop that supplies me with shocks. Gary who started this thread need some however.

Tue May 04, 2010 10:34 am

I have been a 4x4 driver for a long time and there was only one definition of an off road 4x4, now there are soft roader's, SUV's, AWD's etc. Its getting that way with vans. I think from the original description the request is to be able to modify the van to go down dirt roads and with a little extra ground clearance to allow better access to some free camps. If so then the mods suggested are probably fine. On the other hand if the requirement is to go really off road then the basic van may not be up to it. Start saving the pennies as you will need them in this case.

Ian G.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Post Off Road
It amazes me what you need now just to go off road not the serious stuff,as our parents dragged their 60s caravan behind an old valiant year after year.Now apparently you need something built like a Hummer.Cheers Neil

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Woodpecker think of the cars in the 60's, especially the big variety, they were tanks! :) I would also assume that the vans of the day were similarly constructed, combined with relatively low performance there would be little in the way of stopping them. We today unfortunately have a tendency to 'get there quickly' which has its toll on both car and van.

I remember reading about people who crossed continents in little Ford model T's with two wheel drive, skinny wheels etc. Yes they did it but took months to cover what today we tend to take a couple of days to do, and they did it bloody hard.

I have used the very basics, shanks pony, and covered relatively long distances, but I'm an old fart now and like my comforts so we carry more and do it in style.

Ian G.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]