View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Dometic RMD 8555 AES 

Post Re: Dometic RMD 8555 AES
My Fridge is an RMD 8551. It has a temperature rating ST. The next box along has a T but that is the safety rating. My mistake.
Sid

Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:35 pm

Gary,

If you are anywhere near South Dandenong (within 2000ks or even more) I think it would be worth the effort to go personally to Jayco with your van and sort it out once and for all.
I dont have a Jayco but from what I hear they will sort out any problems with their product and you seem to have your fair share.
As you would know Jayco have been building vans in Aus forever and I find it unbelievable that they would put anything other than a T rated fridge in one of their vans.
Something does not add up here.

Best of luck

Jeff.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:25 pm

This topic has been done to death on the Jayco forum with so much venom that they have stopped the forum altogether.
It has been suggested frequently that this member get legal help because no one has ever been able to satisfy his concerns.
Continually going to so many different forums is never going to be his answer.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:06 pm

Either way Mally, let's wait for the seemingly unlucky and rightfully distressed member's response to our collectively worthy comments and recommendations. I recollect they have already sought legal help.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:20 pm

Sorry we took so long to respond as we have not gotten notifications - firstly we have sort legal advice from ACCC then went to Dept of Fair Trading and still Jayco and Dometic will not do anything and so we have to now go to NCat and intend to do so after this xmas break and yes we have voiced on other forums - because we can get no satisfaction from Jayco or Dometic.

The RMD 8555 AES first came out with the ST rating they were removed from the Dometic site and came back with a T rating - our book says the freezer is 'Not suitable as a means of freezing food' and we would never have bought the van if we had known this - it also states it is not suitable for 'storing medications' - it says it will only operate in ambient temperatures of 10 - 32 degree's - ours in fact is a total disaster as many others that were on the Jayco Forum and we were blocked. We go outside these temps regularly and never had a problem in 30 years of vanning with any fridge. They have all been Dometic.

We had a 4805 in our last van a Sterling for 7 years without fault...we are currently parked up using an on site fridge because ours is like a coffee machine everything is hot.

Now we approached our dealer and he agreed to change out the fridge and have the cabinet redone and we were happy with this and two days later we got a message from his solicitor and said all deals off and only speak to his solicitor and not him - we have multiple problems with the van - but we think he did the back flip because he wanted us to help fund this and also sign a disclaimer to say nothing...we have also talked to Dometic and Jayco Melbourne to no avail. Our local dealer has for months said yep all go lets get this work done, then a few days later no and on and on it goes...What we are asking for from him, is a written confirmation of all work and the promise it will all be done professionally and in a timely manner, plus everything completed as this seems to be a big problem, they only do a few jobs and then you have to book in again... which they refuse to give us. We want it all done at once so we can move on with our 5 year holiday.

In the past we also have had good service from Jayco - this is in fact our 4th Jayco - but this one is a nightmare and nobody will do anything for us and yes we vent - Mally if you could suggest a place to vent where we will get heard - we would gladly go there and we have been to two sites Jayco and Caravanners forum for your information - we have been to Jayco Dealer - Jayco Melbourne and Dometic??? then ACCC and then Dept of Fair Trading and now after the Xmas break NCAT which is the only options we have.

Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:37 pm

Are we blocked on here also??? tried to edit last post and can't??

What we were saying was we also asked Jayco for some molding to have the 4805 fridge put into our van with all the other gas fitting etc etc all at our own cost as we can no longer live like this without a fridge and were denied the moldings from Jayco.

Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:57 pm

G'day Gary,

There is an edit time limit on all posters. I think it is either 10 or 15 minutes. You can't be blocked because you have successfully posted.

I assume you read my post... viewtopic.php?p=179286#p179286

I am confused by the fridge rating change you mention. Can you please post a pic of the fridge compliance label usually stuck just inside the door opening?

Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:16 pm

I feel your pain and you seem like you are doing everything you can. What a mess. Usually Jayco are pretty good but seem stubborn on this problem. I don't know if it is because of your issue but their forum has been down since beginning of December.
I feel that there needs a bloody great shake up in the caravan industry as what they are getting away with is criminal. Jayco has it's problems yes but for the amount they sell is small but talking to people on the road and my service centre some of the very expensive ones are worse. I think it's time these manufacturers were taken to task and the government took action to get them to lift their game. They would never get away with it if it was a car etc.

Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:30 am

Mally, yes it is a terrible situation we are in not only with the fridge...we paid $70,000 of our hard earned money and they could not care less...today for instance we have had 35 degrees and very humid...the fridge defrosted itself as it does and water gushed out everywhere all over the floor again...freezer -9 degrees and fridge 9 degrees but this is normal and of course way out of health dept specifications.

The air conditioner today with a completely locked up van - shades and all up - went from 8 am till now at 10.30 and best we have done 26 degree's...and it roars all day long and does not go off...they have replaced the thermostat and remote and it still will not work...set at 13 degrees. They told us that's good enough??

We are living a nightmare and nothing but going to court is going to get this van fixed - the stress is unbelievable and the list is now 45 items long. We just want to go on our 5 year trip of a lifetime and we can't we are stuck.

Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:25 pm

Hi Old Techo,

Sorry we did read your post and thank you...we have never been able to post pictures on here it just will not work for us...also we do not get notifications even though we have every thing ticked it would seem??

The fridge clearly has T written on it - though on the Jayco forum which we and quite a few others where blocked it was a hot discussion in that the fridge came out with a certain ST rating and then went off and now have a T rating??? On your information you have T works 18-43 degree's our book says 10 - 32 and neither of those are suitable for Australia...we regularly go outside either temperatures. All series 8 fridges have been pulled from the Dometic site.

Our book clearly states the freezer is not for freezing food and it does not - it has a large Warning not to store medications in it (1 diabetic and 1 hypothyroidism) both need fridges to store medication.

Dometic claim - 12 degree's the freezer will achieve - Dept of Health states -15 and lower and frozen solid to be food safe - Choice say -18 degree's but ideal -20 to -24. This fridge/freezer is defective and does not even achieve -12 freezer so it is in fact a Major Failure (ACCC Major Failure) and if we had known the two door fridge freezer in our new van was not in fact freezer we would never had bought the van - it is reasonable to assume you are getting a deep freezer as we have had in our last 12 vans??? The other problem is these fridges are only 590 wide whereas nearly every other manufacturer of similar size fridges and the one we had in our last van (Jayco Stirling) are 632...so one side of the cabinetry needs moving over and the front needs some longer mouldings to finish off the front...they will not even let us have these. We were going to pay for all this ourselves as we cannot go on anymore without a working fridge - we have bought an outdoor fridge to try and get through and at the moment are parked where we have use of a full fridge/freezer - which is great but we should not have to go to these lengths. :cry:

Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next