View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dometic fridge not working 

Post Dometic fridge not working
We have a Dometic 4601 fridge that is under 3 yrs old and has stopped working. The van was purchesed new mid July 2011.
We have been running the fridge on 240 v for around 1 month while camping, then it started to defrost. I switched the unit over to gas but that didn't solve the problem. I am currently in Vic so the weather is not a factor. When running the fridge on 240 v we hear a sound like running water and none of the pipes at the back of the fridge are warm
I asked a fridge repairer and they said that it would be a major repair somewhere $1600.00 fitted
I feel that the fridge should last more than 3 yrs withoutf having to spend this amount of money to repair it
Regards Vern

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Post Re: Dometic fridge not working
Hi Vern,
The sound like running water is not good and also not working on gas. Can you go outside to the rear of the fridge and smell around the vents for an ammonia kind of smell.

I would think the refrigeration guy is thinking the refrigeration unit has failed and that is usually due to a leak and the refrigerant has leaked out. If the fridge is level then it really does sound like the unit has failed.
Has the van been on many rough roads as that can cause fatigue with the fridge pipe work and you can end up with a cracked pipe somewhere. Usually you should get more than ten years and even much more if the fridge is treated right.

I agree the fridge should last much longer than three years wonder if you have any chance with Dometic doing something. Dometic do have a bit of a bad public relations problem from time to time.

$1600 sounds a bit steep but that would be to remove the fridge remover the refrigeration unit (all the pipe work) and fit a reconditioned unit.
Not wishing to make it sound any worse but some fridges will not fit out the van door and maybe a window will need to be removed to get it out or even the repair may need to be done in the van.

I hope it ends up a simple problem but if not the next decision is will you get it fixed or will you buy a new fridge.

JR
:razz:

Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi Vern,
Sure gets on you goat when these things happen allright. My first thought was to pull the thing apart with a grinder :) but then I looked at the cost of the fridge. It is a beauty. Ours is the small half model.

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/prod ... ts_id=3736

Any way same as JR said and maybe get a second opinion?

Just a thought on re reading your post, this mob has a very good name in the fridge business in Vic.
Dometic fridge service Clayton Vic

http://www.caravanrefrigeration.com.au/
Caravan Refrigeration Services
24 Eileen Rd, Clayton South, VIC 3169 - (03) 9574 1900‎

Sorry but if you can't give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:18 pm

G'day Vern,

My immediate thought was.... not fit for purpose. I don't give a rat's about the 'nominal' 12 month minimum warranty as prescribed by Oz law. Manufacturers choose the minimum. You will find that Oz law provides for a longer warranty dependent upon the nature of the product and cost. There is a reasonable expectation rule.

I would be leaning heavily on Dometic with the threat of taking the matter to Consumer Affairs. Firstly ask Dometic how long they think their fridges should last. Are they going to admit to 3 years? That would be serious acknowledgement of a pathetic product. Tell them you will be advising the world of their product support via your extensive social media contacts. Of course this would include praise if they come to the party and accept responsibility.

All of the above assumes your fridge has been properly installed by the van manufacturer and Dometic may wish to point fingers if they see an opportunity.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:57 pm

Thanks for the replays so far.
JR - Can't smell ammonia, The roads traveled were 90% sealed roads 10% dirt, none to rough and always at low speed

Dieseltojo - The fridge repairer that I referred to was the one that you mentioned Caravan Refrigeration Service. seemed to know what they were talking about. and asked me to do testing to find what seemed to be causing the problem.

Old Tacho - Caravan refrigeration suggested that I contact Dometic to see if they may be able to do something for me. I emailed 2 different departments in Dometic with out reply. My wife rang them today without success. They said that it is out of warranty, when the wife mentioned consumer affairs they couldn't care less.
My son in law contacted consumer affairs and they think that I should have a case to put to them.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi again Vern,
I guess the water running noise is confusing the issue a bit but only three years old and it sounds like the fridge has not been exposed to much vibration and no ammonia smell.

When you say you tried the gas how long was it on gas and have you ever used the gas before and are you sure the gas was running OK.

Could be a case of a failed 240V element (which is not uncommon) and the gas flame is not 100%.
I would get the 240V element checked out, $120 is better than $1600. Also need the flame when on gas checked.

JR
:razz:

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:04 pm

HI
JR mentioned an Ammonia smell
Any sign of ammonia odour inside or outside is bad news
They can leak inside too
Also any sign of a verdigease[greenish /blue] deposit inside the fridge on the evaporator fins or freezer plates is a good indication of loss of refrigerent.

PeterQ

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:50 pm

Bev&Vern,
IF you are not too far away from me I may be able to help you out with the electrical testing part anyway. I too would have recommended Caravan Refrigeration as a likely repairer.

Let me know.
Cheers,
ALLAN

Paulownia Cabinetry, All 12 volt & Self Sufficient
When its finished WE retire.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:07 am

Hi JR, Peter & Allan thanks for getting back to me.
At the moment we are camped in brothers back yard in Numurkak waiting for new house to be built
With regard the Gas operation. When I found out about the problem.we were getting ready to go daughters birthday party in Bayswater so before we left I switched it over to gas. It ran on gas from Friday night to Monday morning without being opened. On Monday took it to Solar City Caravan Service in Shepparton who are the Dometic agents to this area. He checked out the unit both on gas and 240 v . After checking out the gas and removing a small amount of carbon he placed a temp gauge in the fridge and freezer while running on gas then checked it 2 hrs later and the temp was higher by .5 deg than when placed the unit in.
With my usage on gas, normaly we free camp so the gas gets used frequently.
I have checked the fridge and freezer plates and can't find anything unusual.
Saw Solar city yesterday and told him about the water sound and he said that he didn't hear that when he looked at it but confirmed the diagnosis of Caravan refrigeration.
regards Vern

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:36 am

Just an update
Switched the fridge onto gas today put a temp gauge in the freezer and controller set at 8.
Temp at start was 16.1.
Temp 5 hrs later 18.9
I definitely think it stuffed
regards Vern

Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next