Broken Freezer Door

No longer serviced by Dometic but retained for reference and still open to members
jeffers

Broken Freezer Door

Post by jeffers » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:06 pm

We have a 150L RM2553 and unfortunately broke around the hinge area on one corner of the freezer door.
We rang the Dometic Agent in the town we are in and were told that the replacement door would be $165.00 Come on Dometic its only plastic, and if it is made in Sweden then maybe its time to start making them in China.
You wonder why we buy on Ebay when we can, well heres an example of why.
The door should be available at a FAIR and REASONABLE price Sorry but this is just a rip off.

keith_minky

Re: Broken Freezer Door

Post by keith_minky » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:42 pm

If you find cheaper parts let us know. I had to buy the little clips at the bottom of the door and the only place I could find them was Dometic. I tried some glues and things but no luck.

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:53 pm

I suppose that when the fridge is nearly $1900, that's what you'd expect :???: :???:
Frank

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:10 pm

I saw a video last year, possibly on UTube, of a guy doing a freezer door replacement; quite interesting. So if you get stuck doing the job, do a search.
Or did I see it on the forum here?
glanyard

jeffers

Post by jeffers » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:52 pm

Well Frank even though the fridge is $1900 that doesn't give Dometic Licence to charge absurd amounts for spare parts. Like I said maybe they should start getting the doors from China and I bet it would do the same job.
If I had a Toyota Landcruiser Sahara would that give them the right to charge ridiculous amounts for say a fuse for that model and less for a GXL ?
Yes maybe it did cost $1900 (I don't know) but maybe that cost is related to the refrigeration parts required not a plastic door. after all Plastic aint that dear.

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi Jeffers,
Is it the freezer door or item 7, 8 & 9?
They can be purchased separately but are still expensive but not as much as the door.
Dometic usually make good stuff but spare part prices are atrocious.

I priced a Dometic Diesel Heater fuel pump and was quoted over $700 and in England they are $90 so sometimes it is worth a look overseas.
RM2553.JPG
JR
:razz:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:12 am

jeffers wrote:Well Frank even though the fridge is $1900 that doesn't give Dometic Licence to charge absurd amounts for spare parts. Like I said maybe they should start getting the doors from China and I bet it would do the same job.
If I had a Toyota Landcruiser Sahara would that give them the right to charge ridiculous amounts for say a fuse for that model and less for a GXL ?
Yes maybe it did cost $1900 (I don't know) but maybe that cost is related to the refrigeration parts required not a plastic door. after all Plastic aint that dear.
It costs $77 or $92 fitted, for a chrome exhaust extension for a Mazda Neo from Mazda; $20 from Supercheap! So Dometic are not the only ones. Have you priced a fuse for a Sahara from Toyota? I'll bet it is dearer than from Supercheap or Repco. Businesses who have a captive market charge whatever they like because you need it and they are the only ones who've got it!
glanyard

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:37 am

jeffers wrote:We rang the Dometic Agent in the town we are in and were told that the replacement door would be $165.00 Come on Dometic its only plastic, and if it is made in Sweden then maybe its time to start making them in China.
Caravansplus have them for $145 but the cheapest I could find in the USA was $90 so they are a rip-off around the globe. :shock:
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

jeffers

Post by jeffers » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks J Reeves for the Diagram unfortunately the broken piece was on the end of "6"so the whole door needed replacement but I appreciate your help.
Sounds to me like there are a lot of people who enjoy being ripped off and justifying it.'Well its your $$ so enjoy the ride

jeffers

Post by jeffers » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:04 pm

Hey Glanyard it's a pity that I cant go to Supercheap and buy hey

Return to “Dometic”