View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 G'Day Everyone! 

Location: Shellharbour, NSW - when we're not on the highways of Australia!
Post Re: G'Day Everyone!
s82 wrote:
Hi Rob and Marg,

This is my very first post on this forum and I am absolutely enjoying watching your trip on the DVD's and reading the magazine articles. In fact I travelled through the top end on a school trip in 1999 and watching those episodes in particular brings back some great memories, even doing Kings Canyon (one girl in our group rolled her ankle!!) and doing a flight in a light plane (my mate threw up, thankfully in a paper bag and was white as a sheet for the rest of that day)

I must admit I am a 28 year old male, who drives a 1993 vintage VR V6 Commodore sedan and does not own a caravan, nor was born into a nomadic family but I enjoy reading about other people's experiences on the road, and how their vehicles perform.

In fact the only memory I have of anything to do with a caravan is one summer visiting a caravan park as a seven year old in the family's Holden Camira (we have always had Holdens) and making great friends with the kids in the park and getting up to mischief.

But hopefully in the future I might get the bug, get a better Holden and a van and begin my life on the road, when I retire perhaps. I have subscribed to the magazine and look forward to learning about the industry and the ins an outs of caravanning.

Regards
Scott

Thanks Scott,
When the time is right I'm sure you'll enjoy travelling about the place - best of all you meet up with some really great people.

Cheers
Rob & Marg

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:27 pm

Hi Again Rob & Marg,
Been a while since I last posted, but continue to buy the mag.& Dvd which my wife & I enjoy.
Looks like you are having a ball & enjoying all this country offers the RV lifestyle.
I see from an earlier post that you may already be in SA West Coast?
What can we look forward next after Darwin part 2 ?

Take care & safe travels.
Geoff

Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi Rob and Marg,
We have a D Max towing a Jayco Tandem Discovery. This makes a great combination. Good economy but we are considering a bigger fuel tank for when we do the central of Aus. We have just completed part of the East Coast from Melbourne to Coloundra over 3 weeks as a shake down trip. Both tug and van were great. Looking forward to hearing more about your travels with the Dmax combo. :razz: 8-) 8-) 8-)

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Geoff.Regent wrote:
Hi Again Rob & Marg, Been a while since I last posted, but continue to buy the mag.& Dvd which my wife & I enjoy. Looks like you are having a ball & enjoying all this country offers the RV lifestyle. I see from an earlier post that you may already be in SA West Coast? What can we look forward next after Darwin part 2 ? Take care & safe travels. Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Yes, we're hooked... it's the RV lifestyle for us. Eventually we plan to spend roughly half the year at home and half the year travelling (not necessarily 2 six-month blocks... whatever takes our fancy!) And if we feel like going out for longer... well, we will!

After Darwin #2 is the Kimberley (that was a huge stretch! Kununurra to Broome) and then the Coral Coast, Exmouth to Geraldton. But we've moved on from there, too (the mag and the DVD require quite a bit of lead time) and we're currently in Mildura before starting to film the Great Ocean Road next week. Well, we'll film it if the weather allows us to and we can get across all the roads!

Happy travels,
Marg & Rob

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:47 pm

GrumpyRassy wrote:
Hi Rob and Marg,
We have a D Max towing a Jayco Tandem Discovery. This makes a great combination. Good economy but we are considering a bigger fuel tank for when we do the central of Aus. We have just completed part of the East Coast from Melbourne to Coloundra over 3 weeks as a shake down trip. Both tug and van were great. Looking forward to hearing more about your travels with the Dmax combo. :razz: 8-) 8-) 8-)

G'Day GrumpyRassy
I'm guessing you aren't really all that Grumpy :lol:
I certainly agree about the economy of the DMax. Given we are towing nearly 3tonne, the average consumption is around the 18 to 18.5 ltrs per 100kms, a pretty reasonable result.
We have found the larger 120 ltr tank is almost essential as it saves a lot of those "extra" frustrating fuel stops along the way.
Although I haven't kept detailed records re fuel consumption for the full journey, I kept details of the trip between Albany & Renmark, some 3800kms (including a mix of towing & non towing). Best I got towing ( with a tail wind, Port Lincoln to Whyalla, was 16.9 per 100kms, worst with Nullabor headwind 21.3 per 100 kms
What is the weight you are towing?
Enjoy you travels.
Cheers
Rob

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12