View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Rent/Income. 

Post Rent/Income.
Does any one know how much would be deducted from my Single Age Pension if I rented out my house for $150. per week ?
An exact figure, not just so much in the dollar.

Cheers,
xina.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:09 pm

Post Re: Rent/Income.
Hi Xina,

Click on the link below for the Income Test or phone Centrelink.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/i ... chartc.htm

Tar Trekka

Any day above the ground is a great day.

[size=150][color=#0000FF]Any day above the ground is a great day[/color][/size]

Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:38 pm

xina wrote:
Does any one know how much would be deducted from my Single Age Pension if I rented out my house for $150. per week ?
An exact figure, not just so much in the dollar.

Cheers,
xina.

You may be happy to let a friend rent it for $150 a week but centrelink will go by market rents.

the next problem is if you are away from your home for more than 12 months they will then deam it as a asset

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi Hawkie,
I ended up going in to Centrelink to get the info. I needed. I've warned enough people against renting their property while they're on the road, because of tenancy problems, but some-one made me an offer, and I was thinking twice. Changed my mind though. Not going to do it.

I did find out that if I had Charged $150. per week rent, I would have had $77.
deducted from my [Age] pension.

You are allowed to "Temporarily Vacate" your home,for 12 months. Then, I was told I could do the same thing again after a short period of time. [ The woman I spoke to said at least a week, but I'd double check on that.]

If you don't move back in at the end of 12 months, your home is then classed as an Asset.

Also, 1/3rd [One third] of the Rental you acquire, is deducted for up-keep on the property. Don't know if you get that back as a lump sum at the years' end, or if it comes off fortnightly.

Thought this might answer some questions for some-one else.

Cheers'xina.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:58 pm

Speak to centerlink, but rather than renting your house out entirely check to see what implications a boarder has on your pention.

If it were a friend you were renting to it would make little difference to the nature of the agreement but might get around the 12 month problem.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:32 pm

Sean wrote:
If it were a friend you were renting to it would make little difference to the nature of the agreement but might get around the 12 month problem.

Doesn't make a difference even if you rent to a Family member Sean. You have to move back in for more than 1 day. I only decided against it, as I still think it's too risky for me to leave a Tenant in the house, while I'm off all over the country.

Money-wise, it would be great.

Cheers,
xina.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi Xina,

Make sure you discuss you intentions with your Home Insurer before you go travelling.

Most companies require that you inform them if the home will be vacant for more than sixty days.

Your insurer may require additional security & special conditions if the property is left vacant for an extended period & you wish to maintain your insurance.

Tar Trekka.

Any day above the ground is a great day.

[size=150][color=#0000FF]Any day above the ground is a great day[/color][/size]

Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:24 pm

Centrelink's assessment of rental income CAN be to allow 1/3rd of the gross rental income for expenses, BUT if you have actual costs that are higher, you can claim a greater deduction. For example, if you charge $150 rent to your tenant, then have $20 pw INTEREST on your mortgage (not the whole repayment), around $30 pw for Council Rates, maybe another $10 pw for Water Rates and maybe another $16 for insurance and property management fees (all figures extremely hypothetical here, I may not be anywhere in the ball park!), then your total expenses would be $76 per week. Your assessable income would then have only increased by $74 per week, so the rate reduction would be less.
By the way, if you don't know the other expenses but have a mortgage, the 1/3rd rule would take effect, and then you would subtract the mortgage interest, so you would still have less income assessed - ie $150 income times 2/3rds = $100 less interest of $20 = $80 assessable income.
Your income will not reduce your Centrelink payment dollar for dollar unless you are on Special Benefit or Assets Hardship provisions, so you won't have a huge reduction in your payments if you work out what your actual expenses might be.
I hope this helps to clarify things a little.
Anita
PS: Yes, the expenses are deducted as you go through the year, ie fortnightly from the fortnightly rent along with your fortnightly Centrelink payments.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:30 pm

No Mortgage thank goodness.
Cheers,
xina.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]