View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 how much money do you need 

Cheers Maz & Tez

Maz & Tezza

Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:23 pm

As i pay $120 a week rent at home --the only extra cost are the c/p fees when i use them.
FUEL --we don't travel long distances even over a fortnight ( full pension) so the cost of fuel is not that much more than staying at home, the old sunday drive and shopping fuel costs just about covers us for the pay period when away.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:03 pm

On reading the original post he said How much a week would it cost to do the trip.

Nothing about "how much more than staying at home"

As stated it cost us in excess of $50,000 for our trip of 51,000km so $1 a k is not far off.
This included food, every night in a van park, fuel ( Approx $12,000) at 5.7kpl av, sightseeing , internet and phone costs, our medical insurance and assorted doctors visits along the way. EG ($75) Alice Springs. Car servicing as detailed earlier, 2 tyres for the van, registration and insurances, sightseeing trips and anything else we bought.

It cost us an average of $250 a week for fuel alone. Some weeks more than others and had we not had a rest over Xmas for 7 weeks at Mt Compass would have cost another $1500 or so.

754 Princeton & Cruiser 100ser TD

Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:07 pm

On reading the original post he said How much a week would it cost to do the trip.

Nothing about "how much more than staying at home"

As stated it cost us in excess of $50,000 for our trip of 51,000km so $1 a k is not far off.
This included food, every night in a van park, fuel ( Approx $12,000) at 5.7kpl av, sightseeing , internet and phone costs, our medical insurance and assorted doctors visits along the way. EG ($75) Alice Springs. Car servicing as detailed earlier, 2 tyres for the van, registration and insurances, sightseeing trips and anything else we bought.

It cost us an average of $250 a week for fuel alone. Some weeks more than others and had we not had a rest over Xmas for 7 weeks at Mt Compass would have cost another $1500 or so.

Well Graham.. cant see much point in arguing further. If you wish to factor in all the expenses not relating to the actual trip..e.g. registration and insurances which would be payable even if the van sat in the carport at home..and birthday presents etc..so be it.
I think Iraj and others have got the message and can now reach their own conclusions from the info you and others have provided and make their decisions accordingly.
Jock

Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:48 am

In our case we didnt have a home any more so thats what it cost.
Plus furniture storage costs.

He did say "pack up and go" which can be taken several ways.

We dont give birthday presents so that cuts it down a bit LOL

We started to go for 6 months and use a super payout of $20,000 I had
Didnt last for long Im afraid as the 6 months has turned into 20 months, luckily this last 8 months is house sitting so is much cheaper
The costs were for the 13 months travelling part. We would do it again but age and cost will probably prevent it.
Everyone is different and we dont know the others circumstances or choice of where to stay etc.

Cheers

754 Princeton & Cruiser 100ser TD

Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:02 am

Thought that I would share Just a few stats. re travelling and accom cost on our trip from Brisbane to Longreach.
Travel time 38 days.... Milage 3750 klms. Petrol average price $1.33 per litre. Aver 5.6 klm per litre....Total petrol cost for trip $898.00 .....approx 24cents per klm......
Accom Costs = $ 726.00 for 38 days .....averaging $19.00 per day.....So Total cost above was $1624 equating to $43 per day.

Note we did free camp for about 11 days throught the trip.
I have not included cost of daily living and other normal day to day exps, we would have experience at home.
Also have not taken into account the running cost of vehicle whilst home based.
Still not a bad holdiay for $43 per day. and what an experience it was for us to our our country and meet some wonderful people.

Cheers

Jay Dee

John & Desley.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:54 pm

well, after reading all those posts Im starting to wonder if you have all lost the plot....whats it all about? isnt it everyones enjoyment of this great country to explore in anyway possible whether we eat noodles or lobster, fillet steak.. walk the same tour or pay $$$$ for someone else to tell you what you see and admire.I love meeting all the people out there doing their thing ..someone in a tent camped next to a million dollar motorhome...guess what! we are all doing the same thing and loving it and the cost involved will vary from person to person

now this is the best said

Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:22 pm

Post Dont forget other costs
i also did a check of what its going to cost us for full time travel dont forget things like mob phones, insurance, rego and stuffy things like that
:p

100 Series

Toyota]

[code]

Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:15 pm

sorry...but i wanna say....the more the better...:D:D:D

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8