View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 CreditCards.. Pin or Sign 

So no security whatsoever on the visa card with the micro chip in it. so check yours out, very scary.
bob

Struck 1 the other day. Wave the card in front of the scanner. No pin no signature. Not impressed. Prefer to use pin to sign.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:41 am

While true that banks don’t check signatures for each transaction, the problem becomes the merchants when a card holder disputes the transaction.

This happened to me, my visa card was stolen from under the seat of my locked car one night, I dint realise the car had even been broken into, I thought I had just not locked it correctly.

Any way that happened on a Friday night and on Saturday the bank calls and asks if I had used my credit card in the last 24 hours.

I say no and ask why, the reply was the card had been used and had been tagged and frozen after 4 sus transactions and ask me to look for my card, surprise it was gone and that was when I found the scratch marks from the wire they used to unlock car.

Anyway they said it was used at a adult book shop, a petrol station, a grog shop and a attempt for more fuel at which point they refused and locked card, around $800 in about an hour.

They advised they would request signed dockets from the successful transactions and reverse all that couldn’t be provided or where the signatures didn’t match.

I didn’t have to do any thing more and when the next statement came in not only wehe they reversed there was no sign of any of these transactions, just like they never existed.

The only one the lost was the slack merchants that didn’t check the signiture.

I don’t use PIN #s I have only ever sighned.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:00 am

Struck 1 the other day. Wave the card in front of the scanner. No pin no signature. Not impressed. Prefer to use pin to sign.

yer great if someone steals your card. How do you prove it wasnt you using it.
Nothing quite like having to sign.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:02 am

Along similar lines do not use Internet Banking cannot rely on my anti virus/Firewall or the banks set up for that matter and do not use the token that changes my password every 6 seconds.

Its Telephone banking for frunds transfer and if have to buy something over the net its Paypal or I fax them my credit card details. Using the credit card if I do not recieve the goods, Credit card company will reimburse me with the cost. Hoever have never tested this out.

Peter

Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:06 am

i only use an 8 digit pin number as i notice that 9 times out of ten the shop assistant never checks the signature. Pin for me

Dean and Sandy
Who cares, Just Do It
3ltr turbo diesel Holden Colorado Auto 2008
Jayco Sterling 23' (23.72-1) 2009

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:31 pm

I prefer PIN and it is more secure than signature which is easy to copy. The local merchant can do that but only the bank can read your pin.

Further, I am surprised it has taken so long to get established here. All cards in UK when I was there in 2006/7 were 'chip & pin' as they call it and I was quite disappointed when I came back and had to sign again.

Anyway people, you had better get used to it because soon, there will be no other way. Happily, both my CBA Credit & EFTPOS cards are now PIN type.

Toyota Landcruiser 200VX TTD
Jayco Sterling 24-75.2 CD
[url]http://kwaussies.blogspot.com[/url]

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:16 pm

Only way to go - far more secure.

DennisN

"If you don't change direction - you'll probably end up where you're going" ;)

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:22 pm

PIN, & 'Photo ID required' written on the back of my card.

Cheers,
Bev

Most people spend their healthy years trying to get wealthy, only to spend their wealthy years trying to get healthy. :)

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:00 pm

I just recently changed my card from sign to pin as I was fed up with making purchases and the retailers never checked the signature....could have been anybody's card for all they cared. Besides, if I lost my card, it would more than likely be in my purse with my drivers licence and other cards that all have signatures on them - way too easy for a fraudster. Pin for me.

How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole darn box to start a campfire?

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:54 pm

yer great if someone steals your card. How do you prove it wasnt you using it.
Nothing quite like having to sign.

Hawkie,

If they steal your signature card, all they have to do is copy your signature and, as most have noted, nobody checks very well, or at all.

They don't know your PIN number though and it certainly isn't stamped on the card for the thief's convenience like a signature.

Toyota Landcruiser 200VX TTD
Jayco Sterling 24-75.2 CD
[url]http://kwaussies.blogspot.com[/url]

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next