View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Bank charges 

we have a small petrol station so we get a better deal than a milk bar i would guess,because of the bigger turn over.
But $1.00 is enough to get up your nose,
i know i would not like this to happen to me,you want your customer to leave happy and return,than feel overcharged and go elsewhere.

Rod

Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Post bank charges
Hi everyone,
I reckon banks have got a bl**dy hide charging for our own money. Remember when you used to get your pay in cash(yes the real stuff) the banks used to fall over each other to get your money and there were never any fees.
NOW most ppls pay is direct credit so the banks get your money whether you like it or not now there are fees.

Decent business ppl would be satisfied with the profit they make without charging ppl to spend their own money.

just my thoughts
Ill get off my box now.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:17 pm
Profile WWW

I agree K&FT;, how come i get my pay paid into the bank via a cheque and in this day and age (they take up to a week to clear it?) and I can't get hold of it. Surely they can do this quicker i remember it used to take 10 working days to clear a cheque 30 years ago. What do they do with MY money in the 10 days they have it? I don't get to see any interest they may have earned from it.

Dean and Sandy
Who cares, Just Do It
3ltr turbo diesel Holden Colorado Auto 2008
Jayco Sterling 23' (23.72-1) 2009

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:51 am

Interesting discussion that seems to be feeding on emotions without a lot of facts.

Cheque clearance is up to a maximum of three business days. What that means is the cheque is deposited into your account and commences to earn interest from the date of deposit. The clearance time is the delay in you being able to gain access to the money. The finacial institution does not hold the money you do. http://www.bankers.asn.au/Default.aspx?ArticleID=612 this web site might help better explain the situation.

Where funds a deposited electronically access to the funds is generally immediate.

As I see it cheques have almost had their day. Personally I hardly ever use a cheque and carry very little cash preferring to use cards in most situations generally safer and more convenient than carrying cash especially when travelling outside Australia.

Like everything in life if you want the service you need to pay for it.

Cheers

Graeme

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:32 am

your prompt defence of the banking system makes you sound like a banker current or past maybe ....and at the outset let me make it clear my comments are not meant as offence at you personally .
I hate banks ...every one of them .
by and large they treat their customers with distain ,rudeness and neglect.
they are intent on ripping off every last cent they can from every one they come into contact with...something like one third of all bank income is now derived from fees...and for little or no service to customers.
billions in profits , no staff ??? a few people shuffling papers about ,gambling with our money....obscene wages paid to often inept gamblers , paid regardless of performance.
I hate 'em all
cheers Gordon

Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Slightly off topic but still relevant, the fact that Telstra started charging you $2.20 to pay your bill in person. They reversed this decision after 3 months of customer backlash. It seems they wanted it paid into their account electronically, thereby avoiding fees from collection agencies.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:27 am

Again OT and dont take this as racist BUT

Does the seeming dislike of Indians have anything to do with who you get when you ring a call centre like Telstra or Hewlett Packard.

I find it frustrating MOST of the time. Some are Ok most are not.

No reason to beat them up Just dont call them.

754 Princeton & Cruiser 100ser TD

Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:12 am

well said tassietraveler hit the nail on the head.

Dean and Sandy
Who cares, Just Do It
3ltr turbo diesel Holden Colorado Auto 2008
Jayco Sterling 23' (23.72-1) 2009

Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:36 am

bank fees have changed the way we do business in certain areas.
we have an old farmer who only writes cheques,when he buys $20.00 of fuel for his pump,we make .48c profit and it costs us .60c to bank the cheque dont have it in me to tell him we lose money each time as he is a nice old guy.

on eftpos fees we closed a diesel fuel account recently because they wanted to pay by credit card, they bought $4000.00 per week which is worth $94.00 profit to us but when you take out the eftpos fee of $48.00
we get $46.00. bank just made more than we did with no wages or power bills,

regards rod

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:09 pm

bank fees have changed the way we do business in certain areas.
we have an old farmer who only writes cheques,when he buys $20.00 of fuel for his pump,we make .48c profit and it costs us .60c to bank the cheque dont have it in me to tell him we lose money each time as he is a nice old guy.

on eftpos fees we closed a diesel fuel account recently because they wanted to pay by credit card, they bought $4000.00 per week which is worth $94.00 profit to us but when you take out the eftpos fee of $48.00
we get $46.00. bank just made more than we did with no wages or power bills,

regards rod

Rod, please pardon my ignorance, why does it cost you .60c to bank a cheque?

Cheers

Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next