View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Fueling up across the Nullarbor 

Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:33 pm

Went through Cape Crawford in August - Petrol $1.85 - Diesel $2.35.
Cant tell me they are not ripping off tourists and the locals alike.
The cost of transporting petrol and diesel has got to be the same so they cant claim cartage as the reason for the difference.
I used to think the same as Shaggy and supported the small towns and Service Stations whenever I could but am getting "P"d off with places that blatantly overcharge as above.
If some-one can explain re Cape Crawford example I will gladly re-asses my attitude.

Jeff.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:43 am

No argument.

You will always get some that go overboard with charges, not only fuel, but that applies to everything not just remote road houses. Plenty like that in the cities ,you do not have to go remote to get ripped off.

I retain my faith in human nature that the majority do the right thing. My experience over the years of people helping me in the bush when I needed it has reinforced that.

I tend to remember the good ones rather than the ratbags. We would all be better off if we utilised our breath for praise rather than griping how hard done by we are.

If we can afford to wander around this country with a van in tow we have not got too much to whinge about.

Quite a few I know cannot even afford to get out of sight let alone travel around Oz.

Time for me to wander off, things to do.

Take it easy.
SD

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:20 am

This is why we carry gerrycans and fill them when necessary so we can bypass the roadhouses that take advantage of us struggling travellers.
We only had to top up a bit at Mundrabilla on our way across this year, their diesel was 154.0 - we had heard that the others were charging 165.0-170.0.

Jeff.

Jeff, Mundrabilla was the roadhouse where I fueled up after recieving good advice from a truckie. That got me through to Norseman, where there's cheaper fuel & competition.
Prices : Mundrabilla 154.0 , Cocklebiddy 185.0 , Balladonia 185.0
another good one is Nundroo 1.49 to 155 range.

Regards Geoff

Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:35 am

I rest my case.

We filled up at Nundroo at 124.0 on 2/10/09 & Ceduna was 123.0.
I didnt look at those others along the way but at 185.0 my gerrycans may have saved me $12.00 each or around $60.00 on that section alone.

Jeff.

Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:00 am

Yeah you can get ripped off, though I have to say it has happened to me far more often in the city than the country.

My support of some of these places is from no form of elevated benevolence, it is not a matter of driving around the countryside administering alms to the peasantry. It comes down to a few less services in remote areas and people will suffer.

I live in a country town and our fuel price is around 133 for ULP right now, around 750k from the city. Cheap for us.

Any reduction of service in the country is a bad thing and I see it happening all the time. Hence I support as much as I can, within reason of course.

I damaged an eye recently and drove a solo round trip of a 1000k in a day to get some laser surgery. Our town does not have those facilities. Hence I do not whinge and whine too much about a few bobs worth of motion lotion. Prefer to retain the sight in that eye. It is part of the brief.

People will always have differing viewpoints but having lived country most of my life I guess I have a slightly different aspect on cost. I have helped unload many injured people from accidents out on the Nullarbor, seen the results up close and heard how the local people pitched in until an aircraft could be organised to get to them. An extra $12 bucks is bugger all if the bloke at the pump is the man you now rely on for the next few hours until the aircraft arrives.

These people also have the unenviable job of looking after the uninjured survivors of a fatal until something can be done for them.

I have also experienced their assistance first hand. Fortunately not on a medical basis.

Anyway I withdraw from the discussion. I know when I am out numbered.

Take it easy.
SD

Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:12 am

Post fuel costs
I can see where you are coming from shaggy dog and the ripoff certainly does go on in the city.
I have a 03 Mazda Bravo utility with a fuel tank capacity, according to the book, of 56 litres, I recently filled up at a service station at Colyton near Penrith, NSW, and guess what, I managed to squeeze in 60.4 litres, now I know that the fuel level was low but I did not think I could go into the negative.
I would also say that there would be no way that you would fit an extra 4.4 litres in the tank.
So I did"nt get ripped off price wise but obviously the meter had been tampered with, unfortunately I cant prove anything so I just wont go there again, and have told my friends the same.

Hank

Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:52 am

Bunch of us from our 4WD Club did the Canning Stock Route last year.

$3.20 a litre for diesel at the community half way down. Petrol was the same price.

Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:40 pm

That price is scandulus. thanks for letting me know. I normally take a couple of jerry cans with us.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:38 am

I may just have to put my tug on a diet across the nallabor and drive it at its maximum efficiency, mean and lean.
guzzling some 20l/100km

80S Land Cruiser 40th (petrol)[1998]
20ft Jayco Sterling C/V (20.64-2)[2006]

Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next