View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Jayco info 

I've been talking about one of these taps for a while but I'm a bit concerned about the power requirments.
Have you ever had any hassles with fuses/c.breakers when using the tap ?

Lance and Anne

Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:52 pm

Post Rv Hot Water Tap
Hi Lance and Anne,

We've had no trouble with fuses, circuit breakers tripping or anything whilst using the tap. I know we've used it whilst the telly, aircon, lights, fridge of course, and microwave have been on and no problems at all. I'm not sure if we've used it with the kettle on at the same time, but we probably have. It's really great. No hesitation in recommending it. If you don't have a shower/hot water system, it's the best. Check out the website for all the specs.
Hope that helps you!
Best Wishes,
Sally

2009 PAJERO PLATINUM AUTO DIESEL....AWESOME!

2005 CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

"OUR WEALTH IS OUR HEALTH"

Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:52 pm

Post RV Hot Water Tap
Sally,
I bought one of these taps but on opening the box found that it was a 15 Amp model and cannot be fitted to the caravan 10 amp switches. Did you get a ten amp model or have you a dedicated power supply.

It is not indicated on the packaging whether it is a 10 or 15 amp model and haven't found a 10 amp in WAust yet.

But I agree that after trying it on a dedicated power supply, it was good, now if I can only get a ten amp one..

Has anyone any contacts?

Regards

Tripping Away

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:37 pm

Post Rv Hot Water Tap
Hi Tripping Away,

Ours is definitely a 15 amp model. I think that is all they sell.
Not sure if it is wired with it's own dedicated power supply. It's plugged in behind the pull-out pantry, at the front (kitchen) of our van. Perhaps the newer vans are easier to fit them in? Our is a 2006 model. We got the authorised Jayco repairer to fit it on the Gold Coast (Carafix). I don't know much at all about van electrics, sorry! I'd email or ring the people that manufacture the unit. Perhaps even a van electrician would be worthwhile, too.

The instructions say it needs a "double pole power point GOP", a 15 amp circuit and must be connected to ground. As I said, it only took Carafix a very short time to fit it and we've had no problems with tripping or fuses at all. Camec sell them so they might know more about the installation, too. We leave the installation of our new "toys" to the experts!

Hope you find the info you require re the unit.

Best Wishes,
Sally

2009 PAJERO PLATINUM AUTO DIESEL....AWESOME!

2005 CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

"OUR WEALTH IS OUR HEALTH"

Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:10 pm

Sally,
I bought one of these taps but on opening the box found that it was a 15 Amp model and cannot be fitted to the caravan 10 amp switches. Did you get a ten amp model or have you a dedicated power supply.

It is not indicated on the packaging whether it is a 10 or 15 amp model and haven't found a 10 amp in WAust yet.

But I agree that after trying it on a dedicated power supply, it was good, now if I can only get a ten amp one..

Tripping Away

You cannot buy a 10A unit. They do require a 15A outlet. Majority of these are getting fitted ILLEGALLY aftermarket. I do not know all the States electrical regulations, but I fail to see how you could legally fit one of these aftermarket. I would go as far as to say that the installation of Sterling Sal's would not comply to the required State electrical regulations and could/would be illegally wired. Anybody can fit them, but wiring is another matter. I have been involved with these hot water systems while they were being sold illegally without necessary approvals, and I was the person responsible for blowing the whistle on these units. They do now have the required Australia approval certificates.
To comply with Victorian electrical regulations the only way you could fit one of these hot water systems would be to have the electrical wiring fitted while the caravan was been constructed. It is rare to be able to get to the caravan wiring after the caravan is built to change the wiring to fit one of these hot water units after the caravan is finished.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:04 pm

It also has Australian Approval, which is good piece of mind for safety's sake. Sally

This type of electrical equipment cannot be sold without the necessary Australian approval certificates. If they were selling them without correct Australian approvals they would be in deep manure - very deep. This type of equipment comes under the prescribed list and gaining certification and approval certificates are mandatory - NOT optional.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:22 pm

Almost every van is pre-wired for 15amp for two reasons, the aircon and the hot water service. Most plugs inside the van are 10amp though. Wiring in an additional 15amp circuit is not as difficult as you would think. Panels are removable. It is altogether conceivable that the new 15 amp circuit was done to code.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:10 pm

Wiring in an additional 15amp circuit is not as difficult as you would think.

Dunaruna you may like to explain how you could wire in an additional 15A circuit into an existing caravan in compliance with the code. I *eagerly* await your informed reply.

Dunaruna wrote:
Panels are removable.

Which panels in a Jayco or any brand of caravan are removable? I can assure you, I am eager to find out!

Dunaruna wrote:
It is altogether conceivable that the new 15 amp circuit was done to code.

Dunaruna please explain how you could do this to code.

Dunaruna you may also like to explain how you are going to suck 30A through a 15A cable.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:32 pm

I'm with Motorman. You must be looking at different caravans than what we do. I haven't seen any removal panels to reach the wiring. The only removabe panels I have seen are in camper trailers to get to the winding mechanism. But please point us in the right direction if you have other information. Always willing to learn.

15amp circuits have been around longer than air conditoners and water heaters. The reason that caravans and other mobile accommodation units have a 15amp circuit is the fact that there is only one supply line available and one internal circuit. Yes there is power and light but only a single over-current circuit breaker.

In a domestic situation there are several circuits all protected by individual circuit breakers or fuses so 10amps is usually sufficient. We don't have that luxury in caravans. I doubt that there would be too many electricians who would add another 15amp circuit to a caravan or similar and issue a compliance ceirtificate. There have been cases where two 240v 15 amp inlets have been provided on a caravan, usually when there is an air conditioner fitted. This is pretty useless if you can only access one supply point in a caravan park. The exception is certain sites that are specifically set up for permanents where there may be two or more supply points for those with large mobile homes or accommodation units.

The heater referred to can only be installed if a separate 15amp double-pole power point was installed that is wired back to the power inlet. But before turning on the tap you would still need to check that no other electrical appliances were operating.

The comments you make are not very helpful to those who hope to onbtain useful information fro a forum like this.

Cheerio Tom

Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:14 pm

Hi Dunaruna,

I'm with Motorman. You must be looking at different caravans than what we do. I haven't seen any removal panels to reach the wiring. The only removabe panels I have seen are in camper trailers to get to the winding mechanism. But please point us in the right direction if you have other information. Always willing to learn.

I gotta admit, your comments surprise me. The aluminum sheeting is only stapled and glued, we remove it everyday to get to various components and to carry out repairs/mods.

Motorman stated -

" To comply with Victorian electrical regulations the only way you could fit one of these hot water systems would be to have the electrical wiring fitted while the caravan was been constructed. It is rare to be able to get to the caravan wiring after the caravan is built to change the wiring to fit one of these hot water units after the caravan is finished."

That is simply not true, it is a common and regular job. As for the power requirements, I'm not disagreeing with you or MM, all I said was that the job is easily doable.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next