Don't trust Coles fuel discounts.

Share your hints and tips about saving pennies here!
dieseltojo

Don't trust Coles fuel discounts.

Post by dieseltojo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:09 pm

I received an Email notice that we were eligible for a Ten Cent discount on Coles fuel.

Beauty I thought, we had empty tanks from our trip to Gippsland. My tanks in the tojo hold 270 litres.

But a quick check on an app which features the best fuel prices and I found out some interesting info.

Sure Coles is giving a 10 cent per litre discount.....but the mongrels put up the cost of their fuel 10 cents a litre as well.
Coles merely brings you to the exact same level as all the other service stations...Its a con for sure.

It turns out if you have a 4 cent discount with say Wooley's you are miles in front.

I have posted the app read out. (Map) It shows some Servo's in my area and their prices. I selected Diesel. With this app, I can compare all the servo's.

The Coles ones are charging $1.36 whilst everyone else is charging $1.26.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

dieseltojo

Re: Don't trust Coles fuel discounts.

Post by dieseltojo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:12 pm

There are a few of these free apps around. Mine happens to be.....
It is good enough for me, you might find a better one. Of course you will need to type in the selected fuel.

https://petrolspy.com.au/map/latlng/-37 ... 5120288085
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:56 pm

How accurate are they generally ?
Who updates them and how often ?

You must be just down the road from us, up here in sunny Knox :)
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

TheHeaths

Post by TheHeaths » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:31 pm

As you say DT, you need to be aware of prices if using the discount vouchers. Same thing as a "tied" service station in Coober Pedy. Stay at the Stuart Range CP, and they offer 4 Cpl off of fuel at the first site in town. Unfortunately, that site is always 6 - 8 Cpl above the sites further into town.

But sometimes you can be lucky. In Kununurra, the CP put us onto the local Co op with its credit card pumps, and that was about 8 Cpl below local sites, just a bit of a drive out of town.

Today in Pooraka (northern suburb of Adelaide), I was happy to find diesel at 115.7 Cpl on the pump, at a Liberty site 4 kms from home, and 16 Cpl below the Shell around our corner. It has also just started taking Drake Supermarket vouchers, the shop we use across the road from our house, so another 4 Cpl off meant I filled for Easter trip at 20 Cpl below local, saving $18 plus on what we needed. Now I can afford SWMBO's Easter egg!

Happy Easter to everyone, and travel safe if you are on the roads.
Regards

Ian

Chaos, mayhem and confusion. Good, my job here is done!

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:34 pm

G'day DT,

I just tried that one. Disappointed to find a number of the prices were days, a couple of weeks or even over 1 month old. Bit hard to get fair relative pricing when the dates vary so much.

I went to a Coles on Sunday and it was 131.9 for diesel and 1 and 2 cents dearer than others in the area. I didn't care as I bought 147 litres at 24 cents off. 10 cents for a flybuy special, 4 cents for the regular coles docket plus 10 cents by spending $20 in store.

We never buy the rubbish in store as false economy, example chocolates you don't need, but toilet rolls and milk are the same prices as in the Coles supermarket. Usually get $20 worth of dunny rolls so that is a genuine saving. Spend $20 on dunny rolls and save $15 on 150 litres so the rolls cost 5 bucks. I only bother with this excercise when I need a lot of fuel, close to their 150 litre limit.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:51 pm

TheHeaths wrote:As you say DT, you need to be aware of prices if using the discount vouchers. Same thing as a "tied" service station in Coober Pedy. Stay at the Stuart Range CP, and they offer 4 Cpl off of fuel at the first site in town. Unfortunately, that site is always 6 - 8 Cpl above the sites further into town.
I bought 80 litres of diesel there 10 days ago (just to get me to Port Augusta). It was 152.9 less 5 cents (displayed on their board for Big4 members i.e. Stuart Range) so a net 147.9 compared to 146.9 for the BP. However the really cheap guy around behind the 'Big Winch' on the edge of town was 140.9 but closed on that Sunday :(

At Port Augusta Shell 129.9 and got 151 litres and with more dunny rolls, paid 115.9
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:04 pm

A regular email just came in from Coles. I reckon these particular Coles deals are not bad.

Save $50 by spending a min of $40 each week for 4 weeks at the supermarket. We (she in fact) just does her regular weekly shop and after 4 weeks collects 50 bucks.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:37 pm

I used to get coles or any other fuel that I could with the discount docket but starting about 4 months ago coles started goingbup in price and as you pointed out up to 14c dearer

since having fuel issues my mechanic suggested caltex or bp diesel only as their fuel burns cleaner, I have noticed a slight difference in consumption and performance
their price is the same as others so no problem, $1.23 (Shell up to $1.35) up our way but $1.17 on Marion rd and in the hills which we get to regularly, I fill up the car and 3 gerry cans

A'van

Post by A'van » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:57 pm

https://www.fuelcheck.nsw.gov.au/App/

I use this in NSW, it does give you the cheapest fuel around where you are, less whatever discount you can get.

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A'van Aliner

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:08 pm

Lance wrote:How accurate are they generally ?
Who updates them and how often ?

You must be just down the road from us, up here in sunny Knox :)
On the one I use it said updated 9 min ago. I don't know how they follow their info. I check on the day of purchase though. It has always been correct for me.

A mate joined Costco in Moorabbin they sell their fuel to members for around 15 cents a litre below most outlets. I reckon you could recoup the up front $60.00 over the year on fuel.
1929 Pop Top

Return to “Money Matters”