Car insurance

Share your hints and tips about saving pennies here!
Old Techo

Car insurance

Post by Old Techo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:37 am

When my APIA car insurance renewal arrives I do an APIA online insurance test for comparison.

Recently I discovered 2 things. Firstly, if I use a neighbour's address rather than mine the premium can be significantly different. Presently I have a dispute with APIA over this. APIA take into account a myriad of factors in determining the overall risk level of an individual and the property address.

Secondly, again online, I found when I added myself as a listed driver to my wife's car the premium increased by about $80. I drive it maybe 1% of the time but APIA have stringent rules on who may be a driver. I have challenged the obvious contradiction in their own definition of drivers. Incensed at this extra $80 I challenged APIA on the basis of my official driving record being better than my wife. I've never lost a point, never even had a parking fine in 55 years and not had an insurance claim of any sort in at least 35 years. All of this is completely lost on APIA. They say I am a higher risk simply because I am male.

Using this revelation I decided to add my wife as a listed driver to my Prado (that she has never driven, even when not towing) and 'Yay' the premium went down by around $40. So if you are insured by APIA and do not have any mature female as a listed driver you are likely to be paying a higher premium.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Shaggy Dog

Re: Car insurance

Post by Shaggy Dog » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:13 am

OT,
The word is possibly out on the street that you are a retired Revhead.
Plus your avatar would indicate your eyes are a bit close together.
Not to be trusted.
Take it easy.
SD :D
Let's do a three sixty and get out of here !

South East Coast Westoz

TramcarTrev

Re: Car insurance

Post by TramcarTrev » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:56 am

Yeah.... I know, I know....
So my Dad who is with NRMA got a reduction of $119 when he added me as a driver....

I used to have everything with APIA because I like to be able to speak to a person who spoke English. Ive had a couple of not at fault claims and they have been brilliant, I had an at fault with my van, I did some minor damage on a Service station bollard, lodge the claim online and sorted very quickly....

BUT every year I do a price vs value for money comparison and APIA no longer get top marks for the motor vehicles. I find that if I do an online quote its always much lower than the amount requested in the mailed out bill so I buy online... Rather than try and make a common sense argument on the telephone I find what does work is say "you have quoted me $xxx for $xxx value on my XXXX, (insert name of competitor) have quoted me $xx for $xxx cover, can you BETTER that?" wait for the marketing hubris to subside and if you dont get a sensible answer repeat the question... Then if they cant at least match the price go with the competitor...
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Return to “Money Matters”