credit card rewards

Share your hints and tips about saving pennies here!
Old Techo

credit card rewards

Post by Old Techo » Sat May 28, 2016 12:54 pm

I just came across this site :)

Mind you, I do spend a fair bit of time living under a rock :oops:

I found it quite interesting. Some cards show a clear loss. We use the card for 99% of expenditure and around $55k per annum averaged over the past 4 years. Of course I keep a spreadsheet 8-) ;-)

Some large medical/dental bills pushed up the average.

Not interested in flights, only cash back and the Coles card we have came up trumps topping the list at an annual saving of $461.

https://mozo.com.au/rewards-credit-card ... s-revealer
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

A'van

Re: credit card rewards

Post by A'van » Sat May 28, 2016 4:35 pm

55K per annum that's a lot. We certainly don't spend that much.
We got 4 accounts, my pension account, my wife's pension account, visa card and i got an overseas pensions savings account. The last one would pay for my beer, if I drank.
We live off my pension account every day or we starve. My wife's is for special things (She paid for the car). The visa card is mainly for if we buy something on the net and then only if there's money on the other accounts. It also get's paid on time in the bank, not over the net.
Then we got the Fly buy's card and the Woolies rewards card I don't know how much we save there, not much, I try to only buy fuel when it's at the cheapest.
Simple, it's got to be otherwise I get lost.

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A'van Aliner

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sat May 28, 2016 4:54 pm

Hans, I mentioned some large medical/dental bills pushed up the average. They total over the 4 years about $40k so make the total normal house spend about $45k per annum. Even this lesser amount easily exceeds our income :(

I used the $55k figure to get an accurate rewards savings on the credit card site.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

A'van

Post by A'van » Sat May 28, 2016 5:38 pm

OT. We haven't had any medical bills, where we have had to pay, so far everything has been free.
We haven't got private health insurance, but for anything important, we get the same treatment i think.
My wife got a prescription the other day, not on the free list, they wanted to charge her $75, she refused to pay. We will see how it goes, we may have to pay for that one.
Medical bills can certainly be expensive.

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A'van Aliner

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Sat May 28, 2016 6:45 pm

I dont get any rewards on my credit cards but as a reward my fees are very low. Even gave me a card to use in O/S ATMs that lets me draw out in $AU but pays in local currency so I dont get hit with "exchange fees".
Try the ME bank they are pretty good unless your one of the people who has to transact business at a branch but we pay bills via our phone which works for us...

I dont have to pay for medical because you taxpayers are paying for me but the conductress has her own health insurance through NIB and what we found is that if you find a NIB "preferred" supplier then you pay nothing usually but if you go to a public hospital you do pay a gap...

The whole system is specially designed to be as confusing as possible much like phone plans and energy supply plans...

If you reckon that is confusing wait till you have to deal with aged care...
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Murray & Anita

Post by Murray & Anita » Tue May 31, 2016 6:09 am

We had 2 cards on the one account with Commbank. The annual fees were getting a bit high and speaking to the bank one day they said, if you aren't worried about the points, why not have this card.

They gave us a Gold Card - no annual fees, few points accumulate, free travel insurance.

Proviso - must send at least $10000 pa on the card.
No problem here as we booking almost everything to the card and pay the card off monthly.

A big saving to us. The annual fee being a small part of that. We travel a lot (doing it while we can!), with 3 overseas trips this year alone so no travel insurance costs.

This type of card is around - just need to find one to suite your situation.
[font=Georgia][i]Murray & Anita[/i][/font]

Return to “Money Matters”