Fuel Price Ripoff

Share your hints and tips about saving pennies here!
Chonga

Fuel Price Ripoff

Post by Chonga » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:28 am

G'Day All,

Pulled into a BP servo to fuel up a couple of months ago.
The fuel price on the bowser was 3 cents a litre dearer than on the price stand out the front.
The operator said the cheaper price was for the high flow pumps around the back . He also said that the fuel in the high flow pumps didn't have the same additives as the Ultima fuel at the bowsers out the front. I later found out that the fuel was drawn from the same tanks. I don't think the truckies would want second rate fuel in their expensive rigs.
I have observed this practice at every BP station I have visited since. I march into the servos and complain that the price advertised out the front is not what the bowser says and therefore it is false advertising. To no avail of course.

Cheers CHONGA

A'van

Re: Fuel Price Ripoff

Post by A'van » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

And if you go around the back Chonga.

You may find that the nozzle will not fit in your tank.

Not fair.

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A'van Aliner

Chonga

Post by Chonga » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:25 pm

G'Day Hans,

I can carefully fill my Land Cruiser with the high flow nozzles but I am reluctant to hold up any interstaters.

This does not alter the fact that the people out front are being ripped off.

Cheers CHONGA

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:46 pm

I challenged a Shell service station manager once where there was a price difference and he gave me the fuel at the lower price because someone had stuffed up when setting the pump and advertised prices.
Chonga,
If it happens again photograph both prices and then tell the manager what you have done and that they will most likely be hearing from the Dept of Consumer Affairs/protection. The resultant photography can be used as evidence as the date and time is imprinted on the files associated with those images. You are entitled by law to be sold the fuel at the lower price!
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:58 pm

One of our local servos, a Caltex, advertises out the front the price of diesel, and also truck diesel, which is advertised at 2 cents a litre cheaper.

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:01 pm

Draw it to the attention of the ACCC Chonga. It is bait advertising and false advertising.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Chonga

Post by Chonga » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:56 am

G'Day,

Yesterday I went back into the local BP and yes the diesel out the back was cheaper than the fuel out the front. The price on the outside signs displayed the cheaper price around the back leaving the ordinary motorists to be conned when buying at the normal bowsers out the front.

Have a look at your next BP and see if you are being conned as well.

I will look at recording the advertised price and the front bowser price and send this information to the relevant authorities.

Cheers CHONGA

Legendts

Post by Legendts » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:44 pm

Must admit I always go to the truck bowsers for two reasons, one which you mention, cheaper and 2, quicker fill with high flow. I too am very mindful of not holding up the "working man". I believe the reason for the difference is a discount for bulk quantities.
You only have one shot at life so make it an enjoyable one.
Jeff & Me Darlin'

Chonga

Post by Chonga » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:35 am

G'Day,

Went into the same BP servo the other day. Same story - different day. The price on the large roadside display was 2 cents less than the price on the public access bowsers. The Truck bowsers out the back of the servo were indeed the same price as the roadside sign. I believe that this was bait advertising to entice motorists in by advertising a cheaper price.

I then got out my camera to photograph these varying prices as evidence to send to the ACCC. I was approached by a person who appeared to be a management person from the large servo. I told him what I was doing and why and he left.

Drove past yesterday and the large price advertising sign out on the main road had been changed. The word truck had been placed in front of the word diesel on the sign. The word truck was all bright in colour and the word diesel was old and weather beaten. In other words the word truck has been added as an afterthought.

To me this is still deceiving advertising designed to fool the motorist who is driving down the highway and doesn't have safe time to fully analyse fully the description on the sign - all he quickly sees is the word diesel and the price as advertised.

We are being charged too much as it is and I feel the motorist is ripped off extra by this false advertising.

Cheers CHONGA

joe2006

Post by joe2006 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Good on you Chonga
Cheers Joe

2009 Evernew E900 & white car

It's run in- A moment in the indeterminate future or past represented by a nanosecond of peak efficiency immediately succeeding the running in period and immediately preceding the running out period

Return to “Money Matters”