Apps for keeping track of fuel consumption, expenses etc

Share your hints and tips about saving pennies here!
A’van

Re: Apps for keeping track of fuel consumption, expenses etc

Post by A’van » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:39 pm

HarryN wrote:Just wondering what apps (or other methods) people are using to keep track of expenses?
I will bring this up again.

How do you keep an eye on how much you spend when you’re traveling. :?:

How much do you spend, on average, daily. :?:

Do you have a budget. :?:

I think it will give others an idea about what to budget for, of course we all have different amount of money to live on and to spend, but i hope we will get a maximum and a minimum.

Maybe tell us if you stay in free camps or caravan parks.

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A’van Aliner

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:47 am

Hi Hans,
My budget is the limit on my credit card. I have set the limit on my card to my weekly spend. I pay my card off every Monday. I only pay off the ballance so if I didn’t spend it it stays in the bank. I use my card for every purchase and get the points. If I have a large bill to pay such as Heath Insurance then I will transfer that to the credit card. Then I pay the insurance with the credit card to get the points. No need to keep track of my expenditure the bank does that for me. My credit card statement is my record of spending.

Sorry how much I spend each week is personal.

Now the points. I cash the points in every Christmas for Myer Cards. I usualy get around $700 each year in points. Give some of the cards to the kids for Christmas and don’t have to worry about Christmas shopping. The rest my wife takes to the boxing day sales.
Sid
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

A’van

Post by A’van » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Cyclone wrote:Hi Hans,
My budget is the limit on my credit card. I have set the limit on my card to my weekly spend. I pay my card off every Monday. I only pay off the ballance so if I didn’t spend it it stays in the bank. I use my card for every purchase and get the points. If I have a large bill to pay such as Heath Insurance then I will transfer that to the credit card. Then I pay the insurance with the credit card to get the points. No need to keep track of my expenditure the bank does that for me. My credit card statement is my record of spending.

Sorry how much I spend each week is personal.

Now the points. I cash the points in every Christmas for Myer Cards. I usualy get around $700 each year in points. Give some of the cards to the kids for Christmas and don’t have to worry about Christmas shopping. The rest my wife takes to the boxing day sales.
Sid
Hi Sid
I think i wrote it out the wrong way, i meant when you go away on holidays.

Do you have a max. that you want to spend on caravan park charges or do you just go there regardless of the charges.

Do you eat out a lot or cook at home.

What’s the cheapest, for 2 people, you think that you could have a holiday in a caravan, not counting fuel costs.

Free camps must be cheaper of course, but if you don’t have a toilet and shower in the van, well!

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A’van Aliner

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi Hans
I do this all the time even when on holidays. If I want to stay in a park than I go in without looking at the cost. Having said that I avoid family oriented parks because they are normally more expensive. And I don’t begrudge them for this people with children need parks too. And are good value for families. I prefer to stay in Showgrounds or bush camps. They are often cheaper and you are not on top of your neighbors.
Buying meals and tea and coffee can blow a budget very quickly. Find a good spot to pull over and make coffee in the van. I am not a big sweet eater so a crispbread with tomato and cheese will do me for morning tea and lunch. My wife also makes Anzac biscuits when we travel. Dinner we like to cook in the van or Webber. We are both good cooks and feel we cook better than most restaurants. I can eat in an establishment any time at home. So when I’m away I like to take in the surroundings at camp and eat there.
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

Fingal

Post by Fingal » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:44 pm

A spreadsheet is a good adaptation of longhand. At least I can read it afterwards!

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:21 pm

Harry I just clicked on the post from OT, and I may be able to help.

It opened up the thread for me and then I clicked onto page one of the thread the complete document is there. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:21 pm

Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

lizard

Post by lizard » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:07 am

Our Dmax LS Terrain has a built in calculator in the multifunction console – you add kms/litres/price per litre every time you fill up – displays all information for you

Return to “Money Matters”