View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Fuel Costs 

Fuel at Barkly Homestead today, 2/8/09, is $1.719 ulp and $1.779 diesel - time to watch the travel speed and the fuel consumption.
KevandBev

Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:33 pm

Post Fuel costs
We paid $1.95pl for diesel in the Kimberleys the other day! Watch out for fuel availability in some of the remote areas..some of them sell diesel only. At Nanutarra Roadhouse not only were pies and sangers $8.00 but a plain hamburger was $12.00 and one with the lot $17.00. a 1.25 lite bottle of drinking water was $6.50. !!!!! Diesel was $1.58pl and at Paraburdoo ,further away, $1.35 pl.
Generally, sad to say, in Western Australia, we found the mentality of people connected to the tourism industry, was to rip the tourist off for as much as they can..including 3 star type caravan parks charging in excess of $45.00 anight simply because they are full and can get away with it.
Beautiful places to see in W.A. but bring plenty of money.
Jock.

Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:52 am

The cost of things North of Perth always was way up there even before the tourists started to make their presence felt.

An item ex eastern states and there are many, do a trip across Oz then clock up another 725K to get where we are on the south coast. That is one big freight component on a can of beans.

When we wander over east we really notice the lower prices.

Then again it is worth every extra dollar to live where we are. I can hear the surf rumbling on the beach and headland as I write this. Got it all on our doorstep.

Take it easy.
SD

Yeah I agree there are some rippoff places about.

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:59 am

Jock,
The cost of things North of Perth always was way up there even before the tourists started to make their presence felt.

An item ex eastern states and there are many, do a trip across Oz then clock up another 725K to get where we are on the south coast. That is one big freight component on a can of beans.

When we wander over east we really notice the lower prices.

Then again it is worth every extra dollar to live where we are. I can hear the surf rumbling on the beach and headland as I write this. Got it all on our doorstep.

Take it easy.
SD

Yeah I agree there are some rippoff places about.

Shaggy,

I too can hear the ocean and smell the fresh salt air. but that's right I am on the East Coast (Port Stephens, NSW)!!!!

Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:20 pm

Enjoyed my years in NSW.
Left Perth when I was 15 (1958) and served my time with Qantas at Mascot as a snork.
Effectively grew up in Sydneys eastern suburbs, lived at Bondi and Tamarama.
Great years.
Eventually made my way back home to WA.
Had a good look around NSW while I was there and a few times since.
Take it easy.
SD

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:17 pm

Post re gas
Back in "98 we did a trip round the "block"...with a Falcon wagon on dual fuel , there were very few places then if any where we could not get gas...4 yrs ago we did a half trip..up the centre and down the west coast and back to Vic....again gas was readily available just about anywhere...sometimes you may find that a service station has run out but not very often...it did happen to us on the first trip.... at Barkly homestead , but we just kept going and used our petrol when the gas ran out and filled up at 3 Ways...cheers

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:53 am

Post Fuel price search site
To save on fuel costs Google www.motormouth.com.au click on price search, then the state that you want.
Then you can compare fuel prices between towns. Worked quite well for us on a recent 11,000 kms trip to Darwin etc.

See you 'round my campfire

Geoff & Bev

Nissan + Millard

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:18 pm

Post Saving on fuel costs
I had a long range tank fitted to my Mazda BT50 diesel dual cab. Went from 70 liters (standard tank) to 126 liters (new tank). Cost quite a lot and will take a long time to recover the cost. HOWEVER, it gives much more freedom of choice when fill up time comes.

At the moment I live in Wagin, 250km S E of Perth in WA. When I visit Perth [ about once a month ] I fill up just before leaving to come home. With a bit of luck I don't have to fill up again until the next time in Perth.

The difference between Perth diesel prices and those in my home town added to the 4 cents / liter 'shopper docket' discount often adds up to more than 12 cpl. That saving makes a big difference to my fuel bill.

Furthermore, tomorrow we depart for Exmouth, about 1500km north of Perth. With the long range tank we will be able to buy fuel where it is cheaper and bypass the more expensive outlets.

Well, that's the plan .... sure hope it works.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:42 pm

I had a long range tank fitted to my Mazda BT50 diesel dual cab. Went from 70 liters (standard tank) to 126 liters (new tank). Cost quite a lot and will take a long time to recover the cost. HOWEVER, it gives much more freedom of choice when fill up time comes.

At the moment I live in Wagin, 250km S E of Perth in WA. When I visit Perth [ about once a month ] I fill up just before leaving to come home. With a bit of luck I don't have to fill up again until the next time in Perth.

The difference between Perth diesel prices and those in my home town added to the 4 cents / liter 'shopper docket' discount often adds up to more than 12 cpl. That saving makes a big difference to my fuel bill.

Furthermore, tomorrow we depart for Exmouth, about 1500km north of Perth. With the long range tank we will be able to buy fuel where it is cheaper and bypass the more expensive outlets.

Well, that's the plan .... sure hope it works.

Once you get a bit north of Perth there is no cheap fuel.

However drop into an Information centre and get a little book called AMAZING NORTH

In there there are discount vouchers for mostly BP stations PLUS the EXMOUTH FUEL OUTLET which is behind the Nigaloo Caravan Park which in turn is opposite the Visitor Centre.

Only 4 c a litre but we used them and Woolworths Discount cards wherever we could.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:00 pm

We have just completed 3 mth LSL trip from Adelaide via Far Out back NSW central out back QLd, Cape York, Gulf country, far west Qld Birdsville then south back to Adelaide, 12103k and ave diesel price was $1.44.
Cheers - Mobi

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next