View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Fuel Costs 

The WA fuel-watch site has a trip planning link that can help you work out where to buy fuel at the best prices on your trip legs. Not sure about a national scheme
link below
http://www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:42 pm

You are correct in your calculations re saving on fuel cost and gerrycans etc.
However, we already have the gerrycans from several other trips through the outback and will use them again on a future trip on the Canning Stock Route in 2010.
Therefore, for us, the cost of the gerrycans have already been saved, so from now on we are in front.

Geoff & Bev,
You have to start somewhere - so why not on this trip??

Jeff.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:08 am

Post fuel costs
hi guys
we have installed LPG gas. especially for the 360 trip, will use gas wherever possible,

we will be travelling from perth up the north coast of wa to darwin,
left turn at tennant creek and the up to north q`land

does anyone know is lpg available in these remote places, if so do you know the prices.

many thanks Den & Dana
will be flying the yellow ribbon

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:32 pm

Ive gone with option 2 buy oil company shares. Since Friday my $10000 worth of 10c shares are NOW worth $14000 and the oil price hasnt changed.

I havent sold them yet so they could go back down in price.

I saw a broker report today that valued the shares at between 56c and $1.27. This means the $10000 COULD reach between $56000 and $127000.
Yeah right. This broker is probably pumping up the shares so he can sell at a big profit.

But already if i sold the shares and petrol was $2, Ive covered the extra cost for 5700 litres of fuel. Thats quite a few YEARS caravanning, in less than a week investing!

WHO NEEDS JERRY CANS! Who cares about petrol prices...NOT ME!

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:58 pm

Another way of saving on fuel is to only take enough fuel to get you to a major town or city, when you have to stop at a high price roadhouse.
Why cart expensive fuel into a cheaper town.
This works out well if you have a dual fuel vehicle, you take enough lpg to see you into town and you have petrol as a back-up.
Cheers,
Colin

Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:55 pm

Post 200 litre drums vs jerry's
Back in 2002 we travelled from Melbourne to Perth and past a couple towing a caravan (several times as we were travelling solo and we stopped to look at lots of stuff) that had a 200 litre (44Gal) drum bolted to his drawbar in front of his gas bottles. We past this drum sometime later, standing alone on the side of the road in the middle of the Nullarbor with what looked like a note on top of it. On the way back 4 weeks later we saw said 200 litre drum still on the side of the highway. Because it got the better of me I stopped and went back to check it out.
On top of it was a note held down by a large rock to say that he would be back to collect his drum on the return journey. I do not know where he got the rock from as there where none around for miles. He must have brought that with him as well.
It got me wondering on how much money he spent carrying all that extra weight to get the fuel to where he needed it. Not to mention the legal risk and the tow ball weight on his vehicle (it was just a ford fairlane).

In my opinion. Buy the fuel wherever. These people are providing a service and are probably making no more margin that the city servo guys. Take them out of the economy and you all would have to carry jerry cans and bolt on 200 litre drums to get to you next refuelling point.

I saw a sign once in FNQ that said – stop and buy some lunch before we both starve!

Cheers,

BUSTER

Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:40 pm

Bussy i'm with you' support the little bloke, they are the backbone of this country, when I pay a little more I don't think of it as being ripped off just helping out

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:18 pm

Post Extra Fuel
I wonder what Mr. Plod would say, if you were stopped for any reason and he found 200 litres of petrol, in any type of container in or on your vehicle? Surely, in the case of an accident, your insurance would also find an excuse to not pay.
Note that if you travel to Tassie on the 'Spirit', NO flammible liquids, except in the vehicles fuel tank, are allowed. This includes mineral turps, meths, petrol etc. but does not include diesel fuel.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:38 am

We are a lot more cautious these days.
I used to carry a 44 in the back of the ute and siphon the motion lotion out as needed, occasionally did it on the run.
Better if you had a drum pump.
This was in the scrub of course.
Not uncommon back then.
The things we did!!
Take it easy.
SD

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:26 am

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1980 Jayco Songbird 15' poptop
hi guys
we have installed LPG gas. especially for the 360 trip, will use gas wherever possible,

we will be travelling from perth up the north coast of wa to darwin,
left turn at tennant creek and the up to north q`land

does anyone know is lpg available in these remote places, if so do you know the prices.

many thanks Den & Dana
will be flying the yellow ribbon

G'day Loredana,
Only just saw your post, check out this link, we used it on both our trips

http://www.nowwhere.com.au/lpga/locator/default.aspx?category=Outlets

http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next