Kogan Coffee pod machine

Share your hints and tips about saving pennies here!
dnsoakeshott

Re: Kogan Coffee pod machine

Post by dnsoakeshott » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Guys, don't forget that 'joe' public sets what happens in the stores. Unless every Australian demands Australian made/manufactured/grown products the big stores will sell exactly what people will pay for. The general 'joe' public will pay the least amount he can with little regard for where it comes from as long as it's cheap. If you are on a limited budget you will source the cheapest possible price and that's what the big chains cater to. Not too many people around that will pay $5 for a kg of tomatoes when you can get them at the big stores for $2.50 (an example).
Then when the little Aussie guy goes broke we blame the big chains instead of ourselves (starting to become typical Aussie behaviour now) for them abusing the system.
You can't argue with people trying to save a quid, but you can't keep blaming the 'giants' as they are only reacting to what 'we' want, regardless of whether it's right or not.
I'm the same as most and need to live within my budget, I own my house and van but have no investments and i try to buy Aussie made where I can but if i can get 15 cents a litre off my fuel bill if i spend $100 at woolies then that's what i will do. If I was really well off it would be Aussie products only.
Regards Dean

Dean and Sandy
Who cares, Just Do It
2014 WK Jeep Grand Cherokee Blackhawk 3ltr TD
Jayco Sterling 23' (23.72-1) 2009 with slideout

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:21 pm

dnsoakeshott wrote:Guys, don't forget that 'joe' public sets what happens in the stores. Unless every Australian demands Australian made/manufactured/grown products the big stores will sell exactly what people will pay for. The general 'joe' public will pay the least amount he can with little regard for where it comes from as long as it's cheap. If you are on a limited budget you will source the cheapest possible price and that's what the big chains cater to. Not too many people around that will pay $5 for a kg of tomatoes when you can get them at the big stores for $2.50 (an example).
Then when the little Aussie guy goes broke we blame the big chains instead of ourselves (starting to become typical Aussie behaviour now) for them abusing the system.
You can't argue with people trying to save a quid, but you can't keep blaming the 'giants' as they are only reacting to what 'we' want, regardless of whether it's right or not.
I'm the same as most and need to live within my budget, I own my house and van but have no investments and i try to buy Aussie made where I can but if i can get 15 cents a litre off my fuel bill if i spend $100 at woolies then that's what i will do. If I was really well off it would be Aussie products only.
I see. So now who is cutting off their nose despite their face.
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

dnsoakeshott

Post by dnsoakeshott » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Maybe Cyclone, but I don't blame the 'supermarkets' or anyone else, I know what i have to do to balance my budget. Coffee machine is still pretty good value for money.
Regards Dean

Dean and Sandy
Who cares, Just Do It
2014 WK Jeep Grand Cherokee Blackhawk 3ltr TD
Jayco Sterling 23' (23.72-1) 2009 with slideout

Post by 1952 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:43 pm

I have a nespresso in the van. Great machine and the best coffee by far. To each their own of course!
Terry
Mit Triton Twin Cab 3.2 turbo diesel
Option RV Tornado

rredbeak

Post by rredbeak » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:05 pm

oh im with Dean 100%. Times are tough and Deans right on the money.

I MADE a mistake.mines not a Kogan but the Aldi one for around $80 but the pods only gives you 2 small servings.thats when we went back to using it for instant boiling water.

Half a coffee mug is equilalent to one LARGE cup on the machine,just add milk n saves 5 mins on a gas stove or 2 mins electric jugs...

Cheers Rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:03 pm

rredbeak wrote:oh im with Dean 100%. Times are tough and Deans right on the money.

I MADE a mistake.mines not a Kogan but the Aldi one for around $80 but the pods only gives you 2 small servings.thats when we went back to using it for instant boiling water.

Half a coffee mug is equilalent to one LARGE cup on the machine,just add milk n saves 5 mins on a gas stove or 2 mins electric jugs...

Cheers Rod
I bought an Aldi machine and after a couple of very small cups of coffee, I realised why men don't read instructions; in this case pictures. They don't give the full "picture" so to speak.
So after taking away the spacer that the small mug would sit on I was able to fit a 250 ml cup ready for filling.
The other thing I found was that after the machine had dispensed half a cup of coffee, I pushed the button again and put another rinse of hot water through the pod. This second lot filed the cup to a level ready for the milk.
I didn't find any reference in the instructions as to this method of "making a cuppa". All is good now and so is the coffee, however our van is not big enough for it to come with us on next years' excursion, so it will have to baby sit the house for three months.
glanyard

rredbeak

Post by rredbeak » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Glanyard,
i THINK thats what i was trying to actually say.
Even with the cup size adaptor either IN or removed my coffee mug will fit right in either way.

And after pressing the FULL cup button it only half filled the mug,i like mine with lots of milk so its not an issue to press the button a second time.

My point was after the pods were finished including the flavoured tea pods [that came with it],i couldnt justify $6 refill of PODS for only a few cups. I just reverted back to our dry coffee granulated in the regular jars.

we can make it as strong or weak as we please,or choccy,or tea etc. WITHOUT the expensive pods.

i DO like however is its ability to produce NEAR boiling water instantly in the CORRECT amount,or 2 pushes for a full [250ml] cup. NO soggy HOT plastic pods to dump ,ONLY you MUST keep an eye on the builtin water container on the rear of the machine.

So Glanyard,if thats what you said then i agree and NO i never read the instructions as thats what adult daughters are for after i stuff things up... LOL...

Cheers Rod

ps,we DONT put pods in anymore.just the front mug with a teaspoon of dry coffee and just use the boiling water from the macxhine,YES,it will produce water irreespective of having a pod in or not.
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

Chonga

Post by Chonga » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:25 pm

G'day All,

We had an Aldi pod machine at home and we thought it was great. Unfortunately in the van it was not successful. We camp as much as possible and when the generator was used to work the 240 volt pod machine it worked but not satisfactorily. The reason was that the heating element works on only a small amount of water as it is processing through the machine. As a result the thermo was turning the heating element on and off in rapid cycles totally confusing the generator.

We now have an Aldi espresso machine that heats the water in larger quantities and now the generator, she and I are happy.

We purchased a small coffee grinder that works off the inverter and the smell of coffee certainly attracts neighbours that are in nasal range. Once the coffee is made the generator is shut down and the coffee enjoyed. The operation of the generator seems to be a signal to the neighbours that coffee is on and people seem to wander over. Ah what a life.

Cheers CHONGA

rredbeak

Post by rredbeak » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:43 pm

that sounds better chonga.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Money Matters”