View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 park vip memberships 

There are a lot of people that travel without pets and really couldn't care less if a park accepted them or not. There are also others that won't go to parks that accept pets. they hate em with a vengence.
We promote responsible pet owner behavour and recommend that our parks accept pets even if it's only on a limited number of sites. So far it's worked well for Oz Parks without to much stress or inconvenience.
ozjohn.:confused:

Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:45 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks Ozjohn, I was hoping you might reply, Do you see it as cutting off a valuable part of the market, not your chain, but big 4. Have ever stated a reason for their decision. I would imagine the percentage of oldies with dogs would be pretty high.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:53 pm

Big4 took a vote from there member parks a few years ago on this very issue.
Around 75% of their parks voted against accepting dogs. Majority Rules.
There was however a rumor floating around the traps last year the Big4 were looing into some basic economy parks and maybe high end specialty Dog friendly parks with dog run enclosers etc. Haven't seen any of this come to fruition though. That suits us fine.
Big4 know their market and cater to that market sector very well.
The other chains can say what they like, but Big4 are the main innovators in the industry and market leaders. Not cheap though.
A small number of their parks unofficially take dogs. The Big4 in Thagomindah in QLD held a Caravan Club Rally a while ago and I believe they accepted dogs that weekend.
ozjohn.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:33 pm
Profile WWW

We are also travelling with a child & have found that you can't judge the cheapest park by the lowest price, as this is based on 2 people. The cost for the child varies & this will make a huge difference when comparing park prices. We've consistently found that Big 4's child price is lower than that of Top Tourist's.

Also look @ what special activities are included: free BBQs, pancake brekkies, billiards table, show, talks, etc.

We also joined the different park chains as required; you don't need to buy them all now. After 4 months on the road (it's been 8 now), we ended up with all 4 memberships: Big 4, TT, Fam Parks & Oz Parks.

We do 50% free camping & NPs, but have still saved heaps with the passes.

Cheers,
Bev

Most people spend their healthy years trying to get wealthy, only to spend their wealthy years trying to get healthy. :)

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:47 pm

We are also travelling with a child & have found that you can't judge the cheapest park by the lowest price, as this is based on 2 people. The cost for the child varies & this will make a huge difference when comparing park prices.

I totally agree. You cant base the price when travelling with kids on the two person price. We have even found a couple of parks that have not charged for the kids at all!

We have two kids and we have found it very worth while to ring around the caravan parks before arriving in a town to get the best price (We use skype so don't pay much for calls). Often we find at least one park who offers to only charge us for 1 of our kids.

On a recent 14 week trip our average costs for when we stayed in caravan parks was $30 per night for a family of four. Overall the average cost was actually much lower as we free camped when ever we could.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 am

I'm still curious as to what you do with your dog in National Parks or is this the info in your travelling with dogs? We're looking at going to Tassie next year and the dog issue is at a bit of an impasse. The wife will agree to the mutt going into a kennel here, only if I do equal time, so it looks like we're taking her with us and I don't want to miss out on NP visits.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:47 pm

rayw1 if you are not planning on staying in the National Park, only visiting, you can keep the dog in the vehicle. Most of Forestry Tasmania camping sites allow dogs and many of these border on Nat Parks anyway. http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=494
http://www.tasforestrytourism.com.au/

Our blog. Distributor and volunteer for Operation Photo Rescue

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:02 am
Profile WWW

Big4 know their market and cater to that market sector very well.

ozjohn.

Well said Ozjohn. I've got to admit, I'm a Big 4 member, but it is up for renewal this year and I am in 2 minds about whether to renew or not.

They do cater for their target market and when it comes right down to it I don't think we really fit into that target. There's only the 2 of us and quite frankly I couldn't care less if a park we visit has a flash pool, playroom etc or not.

The only thing that may sway me in favour of renewing is you at least know you are going to get a certain level of quality with their facilities.

When you are unsure if you may not get in somewhere in peak times, you can book ahead with Big 4 and know the park should be OK.

In saying that though, normally we only stay in them around a quarter of the time we spend in parks.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:29 am

Have you ever tried one of their Jumping Pillows?
When I was coming down, parts of me were still going up.
Not a nice feeling. LOL :confused:
We're doing our best to cater to those that don't want all the bells and whistles, just clean amenities at an affordabe price.
ozjohn
www.ozparks.com.au

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:53 am
Profile WWW

"We're doing our best to cater to those that don't want all the bells and whistles, just clean amenities at an affordabe price."
ozjohn

SWMBO and I went for drive the other day to Rutherglen and booked in at the Caravan Park for christmas. Sue showed us around pointed out our site and invited us to their New Years Eve party. That's what I call good PR. I will be joining OzParks then.
Went to pay my Family Parks renewal, they told me price is up to $40 BUT you get membership in "Tribal Rewards Program". Told em they were dreaming and threw renewal in the bin.
armo

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next