View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 DIY Allocated Pension 

Post Re: DIY Allocated Pension
Tar Trekka,
Here, Here.

Dentoz, If there is a guaranteed formulae out there and you find it - Well Done, if not, then you will have to take your chances with the rest of us...

Good Luck to everyone on the road to success

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Oh well, thanks guys for posting on this subject.
Two of the posts had some info I was looking for. Mikehannons and Jay and Dees.
The rest kind of missed the point but maybe that was my fault.
I thought this forum would be a good place to get some specific info on pensions, as most of the contributors are probs on one.
Anyway it all helps.
Cheers
Dentoz

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:37 pm

OK, since Oct 2010 I have invested 50% in "Balanced" mix & 50% in "Australian Shares" in an AGEST Allocated Pension and despite ups and downs in the market I am running at 8% pa.

I look to average 6%

Now Cliff & Di AGEST has a very good reporting mechanism where sectors & mixes, both pre-defined and any you wish to make up yourself can be historically traced out over any period you want.

Probably give you a good start if I am reading you correctly now...http://www.agest.com.au/investments/investment-returns/custom-report/index.cfm

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:13 pm

Now I flick in and out of sectors...and lose as much as I win I think...but over the time Balanced paid 7.7% and Shares <1% if I had stayed in these sectors over this time...

Guys this site has quite a lot of info you may like to use...even though "Custom Reports" is my favourite tool.

PS, I don't use a financial planner either...but I was trained in the early '90's to be one by Paul Clitheroe's company. I do think you are doing the best thing, trying to learn as much about this as you possibly can, it is your future and any decisions WILL come back to you and you alone...ask anyone up here who took Storm's financial advice. :rolleyes:

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:35 pm

Hey thanks Crazyhorse.
Yes you are reading me correctly.
That is all really helpful.
You have restored my faith in human nature.
Cheers
Dentoz

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:33 am

some of the best advice i ever had was to study about retireing,
go to as many information sessions as possible,get all the advise from verious sources
get to the point were you can disscuss the info with your chosen advisor an not just belive what they tell you

self managed funds can be hard work some one always charging you for something in the end they get their fees but it is your money they don't care how much you got in the end as long as they get their share

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:13 am

Hi Dentoz,

As you are a new Member to this Forum, I would have thought you would have been a little more choosey with you choice of words.

Just because Fellow Members don’t tell you exactly what you wish to hear, doesn’t mean you should demean them.

Your Statement Below:-

Hey thanks Crazyhorse.
Yes you are reading me correctly.
That is all really helpful.
You have restored my faith in human nature.
Cheers
Dentoz

Does your statement “You have restored my faith in human nature”, indicate you true feeling towards some Members of this Forum?.

It seems to be a strange “Choice Of Words” from a Member seeking assistance from his Fellow Members.

Tar Trekka.

Any day above the ground is a great day.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:25 pm

Oh well
Looks like another win for the FPs.
http://www.smh.com.au/money/super-and-f ... 1w9w4.html
Cheers
Dentoz

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:06 pm

Dentoz the info you are asking for is something a person learns over a life time and to get to retirement and suddenly want all that wisdom is not reality.
Investing and building wealth is something that is learnt over many years.
Like you I don’t trust the advice from banks and insurance companies as all they do is push their employers products regardless id they are suitable or not.

Financial advisers in many cases will push products that give them the best ongoing kickbacks.

They make money regardless if you win or lose.

Many people like to use a professional to move the responsibility onto some one else, at the end of the day the only person that you can rely on is yourself.

I am possibly in a similar position to you in that the wealth has been generated but now how to get the best returns for the least effort.

I invested in property in the 90s, unlike most advise they were paid off.
2001 I started trading the share market till 2008 when I saw it falling in a heap.
Liquidated shares and walked away with huge profits.
Sold properties and invested the lot into at call high interest deposits and been pulling some nice interest since.

Not exactly tax effective but once the income is split between us its not that painful.

What I do gives me complete control and no hoops to jump through, as I am only responsible to myself.

When the share market shows a clear direction I will move back to 50% shares, that will balance me to around 30% property (house + shack) 30% cash deposits, 30% shares

Disclaimer: we are all different and what suits me most likely wont suit you, so you really need professional advice, as a professional is the only one protected by law for giving you bad advice. LOL

PS sorry I know nothing about pensions

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:32 am

hawkie wrote:
........ as a professional is the only one protected by law for giving you bad advice. LOL

Hawkie, you have hit the nail right on the head. Wouldn't it be nice if the FP's would put THEIR money where their mouth is, instead of your money? :rolleyes:

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3