Windsor Royale Caravan

Are you a member of a club? Tell us all about it!
dianne2538
Confident

Windsor Royale Caravan

Post by dianne2538 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:17 pm

My husband and I have recently ordered a new Windsor Royale caravan and I am just wondering if anyone has actually got their new van and what they think of it. :?:

two.ringers
An old hand

Re: Windsor Royale Caravan

Post by two.ringers » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:03 pm

We have had ours 16 years in November, it is 7.3m. with shower @ toilet. If I list all the manufacturing faults we have had with it, without going into the after sales service or lack of it you may wish you had made your request earlier. I found out a few days ago that they still leak. Of course things can change with time and I hope you have a good run with yours. Regards Dave.
Dave n Jen
Otron Van

dianne2538
Confident

Post by dianne2538 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:01 pm

Thanks Dave – not sure if I will show my hubby your answer!!!!!

I believe there is new management at Windsor – hope things have improved.

geoff&glen
Been here for a while

Post by geoff&glen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:31 pm

hi and welcome , we have a Windsor genesis we picked it up at the end of march last ,we are like every body else are not short of problems ,Windsor patched up some of the problems , some we had to live with .but at end of the day the van is very comfortable and very good to tow
Geoff&Glen
2013 Isuzu d max
2014 Jurgens Tooradin j26 series

ozjohn
Cracked the big time

Post by ozjohn » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:48 am

Bit late ansking the question after you’ve placed the order.
Hope you enjoy many happy trouble free years of vanning.
ozjohn.
Holden 2.8 Colorado- 17’6″ Roma Elegance Pop Top.
Retired Engineer – Ex Caravan Consultant and Park Owner.
ACC – V00118

Avan1950
On a roll

Post by Avan1950 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am

geoff&glen wrote:hi and welcome , we have a Windsor genesis we picked it up at the end of march last ,we are like every body else are not short of problems ,Windsor patched up some of the problems , some we had to live with .but at end of the day the van is very comfortable and very good to tow
Hello Geoff&Glenn

We also have a Windsor Genises, could you elaborate on the faults you have found so we can keep an eye open for them
Thanks Avan

geoff&glen
Been here for a while

Post by geoff&glen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:12 am

Avan1950 wrote:
geoff&glen wrote:hi and welcome , we have a Windsor genesis we picked it up at the end of march last ,we are like every body else are not short of problems ,Windsor patched up some of the problems , some we had to live with .but at end of the day the van is very comfortable and very good to tow
Hello Geoff&Glenn

We also have a Windsor Genises, could you elaborate on the faults you have found so we can keep an eye open for them
Thanks Avan
hi ,the problems started with the pipe s under the a frame was joined in the middle instead of 1 piece , our first trip this pipe broke where it was welded on the a frame on rear all they did was weld it up again, the front boot leaked badly which they could not fix I did it my self , the show leaked under the door luckily it don’t seem to have stained the wood on the wall the lights were so dull you could not read the paper at night ,lots of minor things which it seems every body seem to get , my sister bought one the same their table fell over (to small screws )for the money you pay we should not have problems ,I sent back the feed back form they give you when you buy the van all they could say was sorry,thanks for asking i hope having better luck with your van geoff
Geoff&Glen
2013 Isuzu d max
2014 Jurgens Tooradin j26 series

Mike H
Avid poster

Post by Mike H » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:55 pm

My folks have a Windsor Royale which they bought about 2 years ago.

One of the stub axles wasn’t straight which caused premature wearing of one of the wheels on the left side (dual axle).

When it was returned to the dealer, it was claimed that it had been struck hard by something – there was no evidence of any damage, no cracking on the axle, no damage to the tyre, no cracks in any weld etc. My father spent ages trying to negotiate with the company in the Eastern States but they cared about as much as the dealer did.

In the end, he had it fixed at his own cost.

Their shower recess wasn’t sealed properly and leaked like a sieve through the drain, under the recess and out on to the floor.

The dealership’s suggested action to repair – they were going to silicone around the base of the recess which would have seen it still leaking but retained all the water under the recess until the floor rotted and fell through.

They attempted to remove the drain from the recess, in the process breaking the fitting in the recess – tried to bog it up so no one would notice, but it still leaked.

They finally replaced the whole shower recess after my father had to go to Fair Trading and involved multiple calls to the factory again.

As long as his bum points to the ground, my father will never buy another Windsor.

Cheers.

Mike
2008 Holden Caprice V8 towing
2010 Jayco Expanda 16.49-1

ozjohn
Cracked the big time

Post by ozjohn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:30 am

Not the same company it once was.
The previous company set standards that others were judged by.
OJ
Holden 2.8 Colorado- 17’6″ Roma Elegance Pop Top.
Retired Engineer – Ex Caravan Consultant and Park Owner.
ACC – V00118

BandB
Avid poster

Post by BandB » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:01 am

Picked up our new Royale 658s 2 weeks ago.
Picked it up from the dealer at 2.00 pm and were parked at our first stop at 4.00pm then headed up the coast stopping for 2 days at a time. Packing and repacking gear from the tug ( from old van).

The van performed well but was better when the boot was loaded ( the stated ball weight is only 85kg on the Royale)

We returned home last Sunday with everything intact, nothing broken ( see below), nothing leaked while driving or stationary.

We covered about 1200ks in rain and fair weather, roadworks and fast highway touring. Checked wheel nut torques and pressures after 200 ks and 800 ks
The cover on the Truma water heater needs a special way to remove it.
Stupid Al-ko feet on the legs are painted silver and look like aluminium. They are a plastic and we broke one when we were on a slightly uneven surface. I have ordered a set of “Leg Treads” which also have the advantage of keeping ants out.
Make sure the dealer explains the change over from gas to electric for the Truma hot water.
I would go for the fully electronic Thetford 250c next time. the standard 250 only has a red right for ‘nearly full’
At the handover we were given weigh bridge, gas and electric certificates.
All in all we’re very happy with the product.

Return to “Club Chat”