To join a club or not join a club..? that is the question?

Are you a member of a club? Tell us all about it!
StuC
Getting the hang of it

To join a club or not join a club..? that is the question?

Post by StuC » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:19 pm

Hi All,

I’m pretty new to this life of caravans. Heck, only been camping since 2004 and since then evolved into a Jayco Expanda (16-49-2) in 2008, then upgraded that already into a Sterling 20-64-2 a month ago. Getting ready for the minister for war and myself to get on the road.

Being only 46, we are not part of the brattling brigade, nor part of the Grey’s Group. We’d like to get out there and use the van, but I have to work still.

Most groups or clubs seem aimed at the Grey group. Nothing wrong in that, but I want to find a group that is more in tune where we are in our lives. Thought about the Jayco NSW group, but not sure on the age spread and interests? Not ready to visit all the museums in the country or to sit around drinking grog all the time. Just want a group of people that have fun and want to tour around together. Like a beer and bbq and good old laugh.

So is such a thing out there or is it a case of setting one up?

Club or no club?

So what do you all think?

rredbeak
Major contributor

Re: To join a club or not join a club..? that is the questio

Post by rredbeak » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi StuC,
Welcome to the Forum and Family.

after reading your post its pretty obvious youre a people person. a LOT of us are single travellers and theres nothing wrong with either side.

But clubs to me would be seeing nice places then going with the flow for everything else so clubs arent for me.

Where are you from? That might help you choose a club. Google Caravan clubs,must be dozens out there.

Cheers Rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

jock
Rising star

Post by jock » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Most of the ‘Clubs’ we have encountered are ‘Grey Nomad types. I know this will stir up a bit of a hornets nest but whenever we see a ‘club’ pull in we groan. They have a habit of ‘taking over’ facilities like camp kitchens, amenities etc. usually very clicky, noisy and generally a pain in the axxe to other travellers. Their nightly ‘Happy Hour’ gatherings develop into – Ladies who can ‘cackle’ the loudest..Men who can shout and be crudest the loudest…all gathering momentum as the claret takes effect.
I know I sound like a grumpy old fart but Stu did ask the question.
IMO, I’d stay clear of them..plenty of good folk around to make you welcome without having to join a club and be organised into something and with someone you dont particularly care for.
Jock :evil:

StuC
Getting the hang of it

Post by StuC » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:13 pm

cheers Jock, appreciate the comment, you have hit my concern right on the head, you quite often find people to chat with or team up with as it suits. and you are quite right about the groups who do get together and cackle till the eggs start to lay, laugh so that the other end of the park can hear you and generally make those around feel inferior or outnumbered. So I think for the moment, the club life is out for me?

Thanks for the comment. Keep the opinions coming as everyone has one and is entitled ot put it out there….

ALAN1963
Avid poster

Post by ALAN1963 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi Stu,
I am 47 and my wife is 46, we are members of a caravan club over here in the west.
We really enjoy the club and the people in it and have a good time on rallies.
For us as members in fulltime work and just about sans kids it has given us a social outlet and actually makes us use the van rather than leave it parked up for most of the year. Rallies are approximately once a month.
Certainly we have older members (80 or thereabouts oldest and We are the youngest members) but there is a fair representation from our age up in all age groups.
For us who struggle to getaway more than the regulation 4 weeks a year its the next best thing to long term travel which is our ultimate aim once retirement comes along.
Most clubs would want you to attend a couple of rallies before joining so you get a feel wether it’s for you or not. I would think you would be towards the youngest members as most younger than our age group would still have kids in tow.
Hope my comments help your thought process.
AL

StuC
Getting the hang of it

Post by StuC » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:27 pm

cheers Alan, you have summed up some of the thoughts that I have had and for the same reasons. we are almost sans kids (15 & 19) and are starting to not go with us as much. But each time I look at clubs and look at the photo’s all I see are sorry to say, ‘greys’ and I just think it would be like being away with my parents. Don’t get me wrong, my parents are great, but I want to get out there with my own age bracket.

So anyone in western sydney in a club of mid life crisis wannabe travellers, let me know. I’ll take a look or we can get together.

also not sure if you have seen it but have tried http://www.campanions.com.au and there are a good cross section of ages in there. plenty from over west as well.

Thanks for your reply, keep in touch.

Smokeydk
An old hand

Post by Smokeydk » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:43 pm

I personnelly prefer Groups to Clubs…..Groups are same as Clubs…but have no ties such as Committee and membership fees….you can be involved as much or little you like…..and get away for long weekends..usually within say 200klm from home………you meet all ages and lot have kids with them

saying that I met some great ppl at a recent Caravan Club get together..

Dave
Just get out there and enjoy

My Blog .. http://smokeydk.blogspot.com.au/

Brisey
Been here for a while

Post by Brisey » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:18 pm

ALAN1963 wrote:Hi Stu,
I am 47 and my wife is 46, we are members of a caravan club over here in the west.
We really enjoy the club and the people in it and have a good time on rallies.
For us as members in fulltime work and just about sans kids it has given us a social outlet and actually makes us use the van rather than leave it parked up for most of the year. Rallies are approximately once a month.
Certainly we have older members (80 or thereabouts oldest and We are the youngest members) but there is a fair representation from our age up in all age groups.
For us who struggle to getaway more than the regulation 4 weeks a year its the next best thing to long term travel which is our ultimate aim once retirement comes along.
Most clubs would want you to attend a couple of rallies before joining so you get a feel wether it’s for you or not. I would think you would be towards the youngest members as most younger than our age group would still have kids in tow.
Hope my comments help your thought process.
AL
Sorry to hijack the thread but which club are you in Alan? I am looking semi seriously at a club but like you & Stu I have to work a while longer & am looking for a club with some middle aged people in it.

Cheers

Bri

ALAN1963
Avid poster

Post by ALAN1963 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:13 pm

Hi again,
Stu,
I would add that you may need to try a few different clubs to find the right fit for you regards the age issue. As you so rightly pointed out there is a different age demographic in each club….maybe a family orientated club could be more the go for you due a closer age gap. Our sons at 16 and 18 dont want to go anymore either.
In our club everyone seems to have a youthfull outlook and members dont really fit the pre-existing image of caravan club members being old doddery types. No offence intended to anyone using that desciption but as general rule outside of clubs the general public has that perception.
On the issue of clubs vs groups each to their own….however in my experience not having a more formal structure of a club, groups as such dont really work for long despite best intentions. All the work left to one or two etc and gradually they get peeved off etc and it dies in the bum.
Again there are most likely groups that do work well but I am only going on my experiences from being involved in 4wd clubs, groups etc in the past.
All the above my own thoughts and i welcome other points of view.

Bri I am going to private message you …hopefully!!
regards AL.

dibax
Getting the hang of it

Post by dibax » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi,
I am little bit older 52, but have been associated with clubs after coming from years of 4wd clubs now to caravan clubs for about 6 years and yes they were all older and mostly retired but we have enjoyed our trips with them – mostly weekends – they get there earlier – but its still fun – yes at times it has crossed our minds to try and form a group of non nomads – kids are grown but still need to work – and would really love to be in a group like this in the Brisbane area. I am sure that there are a lot like us – but we are always made feel welcome at the clubs events.
Some clubs definitely would not have suited – aimed very much at the older set so yes you need to check the clubs out.
We look at it this way – we paid a lot for our van and to use it only 4 weeks a year (if lucky) is not a good investment – now to use it at least monthly – good investment and getting away in the van is the best stress relief from work you can get – Cheers Di

Return to “Club Chat”