Good books

Are you a member of a club? Tell us all about it!
Shaggy Dog
An old hand

Re: Good books

Post by Shaggy Dog » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:22 pm

CH,

Yeah, will do.

I do have a big reference library much of which is not on Kindle.
Where Kindle does have the info I still find it quicker to go flick pages to find what I am after.
Maybe I am not trying hard enough.

Habits of a lifetime .

SD
Let’s do a three sixty and get out of here !

South East Coast Westoz

Danield
Avid poster

Post by Danield » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:22 pm

Hi all,
I have a kobo ereader. I read mostly fiction. I love a good fantasy or science fiction story. I have just read Julie Czerneda’s ‘Clan’ series, and Durham’s ‘Acacia’ series. Both were excellent reads.
I also like the old fashioned ‘Who-dun-its’. I’m not so interested in the modern ‘thrillers’
Reading has been a very important part of my life. I’m now 76 years old. When I was 10 or 11 years old, I read my first book. It was called “Gone North”. I don’t know who wrote it, but it opened a new wide world to a lonely farm child and I have avidly read books ever since. I followed Zane Grey’s gun fighters all through the wild west. Authors like Jeffery Farrnol introduced romance into my life. For a while Sherlock Holmes was my hero. Many a time I got into trouble at school because a good book had stollen my homework time, on the other hand I was one of those weird characters who actually enjoyed reading text books. I did pretty well at school, college and university. Thanks a lot to “Gone North”
Cheers,
Dan

Shaggy Dog
An old hand

Post by Shaggy Dog » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:52 pm

Dan,

I read all manner of books.

To try out the Kindle I went for something that required concentration so I tackled a History of the Mormon church and the Formulation of Bible texts, not the titles, that was the subject matter.

I am not religious, just curious. I found I was quite comfortable using the Kindle on such topics. Currently reading a book on the early maritime discoveries of Australia.

I shall drift into something that requires less concentration over the next few days.

Take it easy.

SD

South East Coast Westoz

jessdogster
Cracked the big time

Post by jessdogster » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:48 pm

I’m a bit of a Bryce Courtenay fan. I really enjoyed the Potato Factory, Tommo & Hawk & Solomons Song Trilogy – centred around Hobart, Southern Tasmania.
I found myself trying to interpret the locations in 1800’s Hobart and surrounds where the scenes were set.
Wilbur Smith is a favourite also and I still rate River God as one of the best books he has ever written and I have ever read.
cheers
Jdog

Crazyhorse
Cracked the big time

Post by Crazyhorse » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:38 am

Dan, I just bought (on Kindle) “A Thousand words for Stranger”…to see if I agree with your assessment…you may like a Jim Butcher book…try the first in the series “Storm Front”…you MAY enjoy them and there are about 15 in the series…about 7000 pages… :lol:

Sorry Shags, your choice didn’t get a great uplifting response in me… :lol:

JD, try any Morrell story, I think you will enjoy them…I read Smith and sometimes Courtney.

Shaggy Dog
An old hand

Post by Shaggy Dog » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:13 am

CH,

I am not much of a reader of fiction, historical to semi historical is more my scene. It wasn’t always the case but my reading interests have certainly changed over the years.

I have no problems with anyone wanting to borrow my books, very few are interested, so there is an upside, as I do not like lending books.

It’s all good.

SD

South East Coast Westoz

Crazyhorse
Cracked the big time

Post by Crazyhorse » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:11 pm

As I indicated earlier Shags, we are all different…and I am happy about the fact… :) Nothing bores me more quickly than a historical novel but I easily accept that my tastes are not universal, as I said earlier the autobiography of an ex Legionaire is my BILs….. :roll:

ray smith
On a roll

Post by ray smith » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi all I am not a good reader but do enjoy true stories & history. I have read A fortunate life & enjoyed it immensley. A book that was also excellent reading was “Where dead men lie” by Bruce Simpson. based around the live of early settlers & worker in south west Queensland region. Thanks for those that have listed a variety of books I will have to check them out. Regards Ray

Shaggy Dog
An old hand

Post by Shaggy Dog » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:54 pm

CH,

Yeah it is a good thing that we are all different, it is what makes the world go round and makes us interesting to each other.

SD

South East Coast Westoz

Shaggy Dog
An old hand

Post by Shaggy Dog » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:13 pm

Ray,

I enjoyed Bert Faceys ‘A Fortunate Life’. A family friend of some years ago knew him in his later years, a good bloke from all accounts. As an aside my FIL was an extra in the movie, a brief appearance as a shaggy old prospector. Made the old buggers day it did.

I shall have a read of Where Dead Men Lie.

I have been doing a lot of reading about the Western Australian Goldfields early years in recent times. Interesting stuff. There are a lot of good books to do with Australia, some fictional, some not but good reading all the same.

Take it easy.

SD

South East Coast Westoz

Return to “Club Chat”