Good books

Are you a member of a club? Tell us all about it!
Shaggy Dog
An old hand

Re: Good books

Post by Shaggy Dog » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:49 am

Glanyard,

I recently acquired a Kindle and I have found they do lack when it comes to Australian titles.
When Kindle can build in the smell and feel of a real book I will dispose of my collection.
The Kindle is good value though I must admit but I would hate to think it would be my sole source of reading.
I like my books.

SD
Let’s do a three sixty and get out of here !

South East Coast Westoz

odzi
Avid poster

Post by odzi » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:22 am

Take any three books and keep swopping them for another three at opshops in town :)
Experienced in travel, but still a beginner when it comes to a caravan
Up front: 2011 Nissan X-Trail 4 x 4
Behind: Rental van. We were thinking about our own A’van Cruiser or maybe a Windsor Little Shuttle instead but now a Jayco Freedom is our favourite!

GeeCee
Avid poster

Post by GeeCee » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:07 am

My three faves are the Ken Follett Trilogy.

Pillars of the Earth
World Without End
Fall of Giants

odzi
Avid poster

Post by odzi » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:36 am

Shaggy Dog wrote:Glanyard,

I recently acquired a Kindle and I have found they do lack when it comes to Australian titles.
When Kindle can build in the smell and feel of a real book I will dispose of my collection.
The Kindle is good value though I must admit but I would hate to think it would be my sole source of reading.
I like my books.

SD
Like you SD, I got one of these readers but I just can’t get used to it and it is now living in the bottom of a drawer somewhere. There is nothing like holding/reading/paging a real book.
Behind: Rental van. We were thinking about our own A’van Cruiser or maybe a Windsor Little Shuttle instead but now a Jayco Freedom is our favourite!

Crazyhorse
Cracked the big time

Post by Crazyhorse » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:03 am

…harden up guys…move with the times :) I have boxes and boxes of books…no, tell a lie HAD…since the kindle out they have ALL gone… :lol:

Favourites? Anything by David Morrell…some great stories there, just ignore what Stallone did to “First Blood”…Martin Cruz Smith of “Gorky Park” fame and lately I read all the Jim Butcher novels, well one series anyway…

But we all have different tastes, I have a lot of trouble pretending to be “going to” read all the stuff my BIL keeps forwarding me…like the true story of a French Foreign Legion recruit….mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Shaggy Dog
An old hand

Post by Shaggy Dog » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:18 am

CH,

I do a fair amount of referencing and the Kindle is absolutely hopeless for that.
It is good value but chasing back something you have read recently or at a later date is a real pain.

SD

South East Coast Westoz

odzi
Avid poster

Post by odzi » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:27 am

CH, but what do you do with your Kindle when it runs out of battery and you left the recharger at home or the neighbour’s dog used it as a bone? :)

dnsoakeshott
An old hand

Post by dnsoakeshott » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Have about 350 books on my eReader and glad I don’t have to carry them around. Lets me pick and choose what to read without going looking for a paperback. Lots of different authors some of which i’ve never read before. It’s easy to hold and use and has a light for night time. Just need the time to get stuck into it. :razz:
Regards Dean

Dean and Sandy
Who cares, Just Do It
2014 WK Jeep Grand Cherokee Blackhawk 3ltr TD
Jayco Sterling 23′ (23.72-1) 2009 with slideout

Shaggy Dog
An old hand

Post by Shaggy Dog » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:08 pm

Dshott,

Yeah I really could have used an Ereader when I was spending a bit of time away from home.
On occasion had to resort to the Gideons Bible for a lack of something to read in the various hotels and motels I stayed at.
I find the Kindle good to read in bed, apart from that I don’t use it over much.

SD

South East Coast Westoz

Crazyhorse
Cracked the big time

Post by Crazyhorse » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:16 pm

Shags, every day I get better at this “Kindle” stuff…have a look at the referencing tools, bookmarks etc, Odzi, well the battery last a REAL long time…about a month for me, but my mobile phone charger also works on the kindle… :)

“Soak” I kick the ones I have read off the Kindle as soon as I have read them…otherwise I forget which ones I have left to read…I can always get them back of course. I also send any *.pdf files I need to access to the Kindle as well, plane reservations, hotel reservations etc…saves me finding them later when I book in…just open and show the receptionist/check in.

Return to “Club Chat”