Good books

Are you a member of a club? Tell us all about it!
Ruffnut
An old hand

Historical fiction

Post by Ruffnut » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:47 pm

mist wrote: I also love a bit of historical fiction,
Hi Mist … Ken Follett, The Pillars of the Earth and it’s sequel, World Without End. A good read, hard to put down.

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

[The Pillars of the Earth is a historical novel by Ken Follett about the building of a cathedral in Kingsbridge, England. It is set in the middle of the 12th century, primarily during the time known as The Anarchy.

The book traces the development of Gothic Architecture out of the preceding Romanesque Architecture and the fortunes of the Kingsbridge priory against the backdrop of actual historical events of the time. Although Kingsbridge is the name of an actual English town, the Kingsbridge in the novel is actually a fictional location representative of a typical market town of the time.]

mist
Been here for a while

Post by mist » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Thanks guys,
Gives me a few more ideas of books to look for. Another one I really enjoyed was Wild Swans, about communist China, anyone read it?
Cheers, Mist

Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:29 pm

Mist and Ruffy,

I have read both those books.

I was talking about the Pillars of the Earth to the NSB just a few days ago, read it back a bit but will read it again. I could not recall the title when we were talking about it. Thanks Ruffy.

Wild Swans was or is a very good read, I could read it again.

A well written historical trilogy around the time of Queen Victoria is Pax Brittania, covers the whole of the Empire and how it all came about.

There are some really good reads out there.

Take it easy.
SD

A’van
Rising star

Books

Post by A’van » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:25 pm

Hi there
I don’t keep a lot of books , because i can always go back to the library and get them back or some more and it depend on what sort of mood i’m in , on what books i read . But I keep and read Wilbur Smiths , Alexander Kent , C.S.Forrester (Hornblower),L. L’Amour , Dan Browns and Steele Rudds books and also some of Clive Cussler . Yes mostly fiction , something to escape in to another time or place . Used to get a lot of complaints from my wife , but after nearly 40 years , a lot less , now it’s more about sitting at the computer reading the Forum and playing Farmwille on Facebook .
Sorry , I haven’t got tree favorite books I can name , there is just to many good ones . Hi this is a long yarn , not bad for and old dozer operator ha ha.
Keep reading .
Hans .
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A’van Aliner

mist
Been here for a while

Post by mist » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:25 am

Hi Hans,
Have you read the latest Dan Brown book Lost Symbol? I haven’t but my husband picked it up while in the States last month and has just finished reading it – he said it was gripping. It must have been because I couldn’t get any sense out of him while he was engrossed in it. I thought I might give it a try when he’d finished although I don’t think it’s my kind of book, but before I could turn around one of our adult children and her husband dropped in for a visit and they pounced on it. So I’m unlikely to see that book again for a while – I’ve seen this before. When those two have finished with it they’ll pass it on to another daughter and her husband and so on. That’s what comes of having so many kids! Mind you, if it’s a book that I really want to read, I won’t let them get their hands on it!
Cheers, Mist

Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:02 am

Hans,

You have certainly picked some master story tellers there and they certainly know how to write.

No good having a good story if you cannot write.

I enjoyed the Alexander Kent series, I think I read them all.

This thread is turning into a real memory jogger, a lot of the titles I have forgotten over the years.

I am taking notes so as to organise a reread of a few.

Take it easy.
SD

mist
Been here for a while

Post by mist » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:22 pm

Yes, I’m taking notes too, I’ve got enough fresh ideas for many camping trips to come. It’s a funny thing, I don’t get a great deal of reading time while at home because of all the other demands on my time so I make the most of it while away on a trip. Maybe I just have to organise my time better.
Cheers, Mist

A’van
Rising star

Re: Good books

Post by A’van » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:17 am

Hi
I was reading old topics and found this one.
I’m reading a book called Artemis by Julian Stockwin and its good reading.
I have also been reading books written by Jon Cleary, good Australian stories.
But i am always looking for other suggestions.

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A’van Aliner

Shaggy Dog
An old hand

Post by Shaggy Dog » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:43 am

Hans,

Some Australian titles for you.

Such is Life. Tom Collins
The Timeless Land. Eleanor Dark
The Battlers. Kyle Tenant
The Fatal Shore. Hughes
My Love Must Wait. Ernestine Hill.

Do not be put off by the last title, it is a biography of Matthew Flinders and a good read.

I have a good home library with many Australian titles.

SD
Let’s do a three sixty and get out of here !

South East Coast Westoz

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:47 am

Three books = three Kindles = 10,000 electronic books; no problem.
glanyard

Return to “Club Chat”