Good books

Are you a member of a club? Tell us all about it!
mist
Been here for a while

Good books

Post by mist » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:44 pm

As mentioned in another thread, I have just read A Fortunate Life, great book. Shaggy Dog, I am interested to hear of your connections, anything of interest that you can tell us?

Also would be interested to hear if anyone has read any particularly good books lately.

Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Mist,

My current bedside read is A History of Europe. Second start on this book, had to put it aside for a while.

Not only bedside but I was reading it under the eucalypts when camped in the bush a day or so back.
It did not seem at all incongruous as there is a sense of timelessness in the bush and reading of Europes ancient civilisations in such an environment sat quite well. Plus it was quiet, just a slight breeze stirring the tree tops, what more could you want?

I did not realise it for years but it would appear I have a historical bent when it comes to reading.

Nothing of interest Mist I lived in Kalgoorlie and Narrogin near Wickepin and my dear departed friends were market gardeners in Gosnells where Facey was a member of the Roads Board (Shire Council).

The NSBs dad was a prospector in a mining scene in the movie. I grew a beard with the thoughts of joiniing him in a bit part but work got in the way. I shaved the beard off shortly after as I think there was other things living in it beside me.

Take it easy.
SD

Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:58 am

Mist,

If you had to go away for 6 months but were only allowed to take 3 books what would you select.

Others comments welcome.

Take it easy.
SD

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:44 am

Shags, mapbook, cookbook and dictionary.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

knackers
Been here for a while

knackers

Post by knackers » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:55 am

Hi Mist
I read that book a while back , was always in trouble from Barb as i could not put it down (great read)

Cheers Graeme

Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:12 pm

Old Techo wrote:Shags, mapbook, cookbook and dictionary.
Aged Techo,

Is one Shags the author or publisher of this combined mapbook, cookbook and dictionary.

Sounds like a useful tome to carry about the countryside.

Take it easy.
SD

Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:18 pm

Mist,

I cannot think of three myself right now but one would be the collected verse of C.J. Dennis.

SD

mist
Been here for a while

Post by mist » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:11 pm

That sounds good Shaggy.
Sorry but there’s no way that I could manage with only three books, but three of the titles I have really enjoyed are The Good Earth by Pearl Buck; For the Term of His Natural Life by Marcus Clarke; A Collection of Poems by Banjo Patterson.
I also love a bit of historical fiction, namely Norah Lofts titles such as A Wayside Inn, Knight’s Acre, The Homecoming etc.

So you get two more Shaggy, what will they be?

Anyone else have three favourites to offer?

Cheers, Mist

Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:04 pm

Mist,

I agree three books would be impossible for me, I usually have a number books scattered around me at any one time.

Your reading interests sound a bit similar to mine.

I have For the Term of His natural Life in my collection. Banjo Patterson and Henry Lawsons collected works are also there. I have just done a study for an end of term paper on Pattersons and Lawsons early life and the effects it had on their verse. It was an interesting project.

I like early Australian writing and have reasonably large collection. Such is Life by Tom Collins and The Timeless Land by Eleanor Dark are good reading. The Fatal Shore whilst more recent is a brilliant bit of work by Robert Hughes.

Yeah as you say three books would be damn difficult. It is just that the question was presented to me recently and I still do not have an answer.

I shall ponder some more and keep my options open.

Take it easy.
SD

geriatric gypsies
An old hand

Post by geriatric gypsies » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:15 pm

Choose three books to take…..

I doubt if I could narrow it down to 3 authors!

Chuck
[i][color=Black]Chuck & Catriana
Winnebago Leisure Seeker
[/color][/i][b][color=Blue]’Geriatric Gypsies’ [/color][/b][i]
[color=Blue]Blue Mountains[/color]
[b]
[/b] [/i]

Return to “Club Chat”