View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 caravan door 

Post caravan door
We will be travelling on lots of gravel roads on our next trip it has been suggested to seal off the bottom of caravan door with cardboard to help keep out dust. Any opinions welcome

Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:54 pm

The vent in the door is the lowest point in the van. It is there to vent the LPG gas should there be a leak. If you block the vent off while traveling make sure you turn the gas off at the bottle. And remove the cover when you turn the gas back on.
Regards
Sid

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:17 pm

It is illegal to block the vent in the lower door. And you should turn the gas off at the bottle before moving, anyway...

Cheers
Numb Thumbs ;)

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:37 am

It's better to use a piece of foam rubber about 15 mm thick between the two doors, to cover the lower vent.

Just make sure you turn the gas off at the bottles when the vent is covered.

[size=150][color=#0000FF]Any day above the ground is a great day[/color][/size]

Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Post Door vent
davenkay wrote:
We will be travelling on lots of gravel roads on our next trip it has been suggested to seal off the bottom of caravan door with cardboard to help keep out dust. Any opinions welcome

Hi Davenkay
Have seen quite a few vans with some A/C filter pad material attached over the bottom vent to stop dust entry to bottom step area, the say it seems to work quite well without restricting air flow.
Just another suggestion & hopeing will help.
Cheers Macca

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:09 pm

If you have a look on the other side of the van you will see a really large opening :rolleyes:, for the fridge vent. A lot of dust gets in this way was well. Check underneath where the plumbing comes through the floor, there are probably ingress points here as well. I stopped most of the dust getting in by fitting a scupper vent on the roof of my golf camper. this is probably the best, and safest method of stopping the dust. As you drag any van down the highway a vacuum is formed inside the van and any dust will be sucked into the tiniest of openings. Pressurising the interior of the van, with something like the scupper vent, will negate this vacuum.

Eric.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]