View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dometic fridge door coming open 

Post Dometic fridge door coming open
Hi all, my mate has purchased a new pop top with the "Dometic fridge." When they travelled down the south coast, you guessed it, door open, food on the floor.
He asked me to help out, and being a toolmaker for the last 41 years I have made him a stainless steel clip that replaces the plastic one. It works a treat. (see photo)
All comments welcome.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:32 pm

An explanation of how it works would help, maybe some other piccies of it in place etc.

Chas'.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:03 pm

As a fail safe we always place a small nail or scew in the hole on top right side of door cabinet. Well we have to date, so no issues.
JayDee

Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:09 pm

I've pondered this trying to imagine the problem. My Dometic 2553 catch is likely typical and is a simple plastic springy jigger. There is no adjustment. It's naturally spring loaded and locks into place with a confidence inspiring loud 'click'. Once 'clicked' it is impossible to open by itself.

It is visually obvious when secured and cannot be left unsecured unless the door is not fully closed. It is difficult to close the door and not get a 'click'. I've never had an issue in 6 years and checking that the door is 'clicked' is on the pre-takeoff checklist. If one fails to check it then it may be possible to drive away with the door not properly closed, but that is operator error rather than Dometic design.

Dometic may anticipate the plastic jigger becoming tired in the long term as my van came with a spare one in the kit of fridge spares, including door hinge changing stuff and instructions.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:40 am

New clip replaces the plastic one, the front lip is 2mm higher than the original, Just undo existing screw, prise up the plastic clip, my one then fits into the recess and then replace the screw.
I will take some photo's of it in place and post shortly.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:05 pm

The Electrolux in the Millard is the same flies open just looking at it , Purchased a clear plastic strap from one of those child proof lock places and just clip it into position and off we go, but yours looks better .

I did workout that the door had sagged so I took the door off and packed two S/S washers under the bottom peg and the original plastic catch now engages but it's plastic and will fail under Murphys Law

Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]