View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Bicarbonate of Soda 

Location: Shellharbour, NSW - when we're not on the highways of Australia!
Rob is also a fan of baking soda for everything... I must point him at this thread!
Next time we clean the awning... guess what we'll be trying.
I like the sound of running it through the washing machine, too.
Marg

Sat May 29, 2010 11:18 am

Post roy & sandra
Deke wrote:
Old housewives tale, modern invention???

Do any of you have trouble cleaning those annoying spots off your awning?? I know I did and bought that 'Hi Tech" awning cleaner which, even on the label, warns you is carcinogenic...lovely, and it doesn't work very well in my opinion and you have to scrub like hell.

However, my wife uses BiCarb for all manner of cleaning and I have always written it of as a 'housewives tale'. Well, from now on I am going to look at a few more of these old remedies because it has cleaned up our awning like new with minimum effort. Fantastic!!

Rupert, who we are travelling with, was next door struggling with stains on his awning so I gave some to him to try on those stubborn stains and bingo!!

Only a couple of dollars for 350g and that will last ages unlike the RV awning cleaner which from memory costs about $35 a bottle. Absolutely no comparison for performance and you can use BiCarb for a multitude of other things for example:

Cleaning the fridge
Deodorising the fridge
Stain removal for clothes
Stain removal for wine stains and other spills
Skin softener
Insect sting relief

The list is endless hell, I reckon it may even cure cancer...!!!But anyway, I'm a convert and it is a caravanners best friend I think after today's cleaning effort.

But I suppose most of you already know all this, it is just me that is behind the times..and maybe Rupert as well!!

Hi all Just a newby to this forum I use bi-carb mixed with icing sugar to keep ants at bay Mixed 50/50 we place it around landing legs,wheels and any obvious tracks or spots where ants are and bingo no more ants it even gets rid of those big green tree ants that were in plague proportions in Cains.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi all Just a newby to this forum I use bi-carb mixed with icing sugar to keep ants at bay Mixed 50/50 we place it around landing legs,wheels and any obvious tracks or spots where ants are and bingo no more ants it even gets rid of those big green tree ants that were in plague proportions in Cains.

that's go me intrigued... how does it work ? I would assume that the icing sugar attracts the ants. Do you notice ants at first, or do they just stay away altogether?

Sparrow

" What the heck, die in debt!! "

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Hello Were new but I had to share I got the recipe from a lady in Canada apparantly the icing sugar attracts and when they return to nest the bi-carb kills I have been using it for 4years and have had no trouble only fault is it can get a bit sticky on hoses but its easy cleaned off I use it if I see a trail. Give it ago can't harm anything Safe travels

Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Hello Were new but I had to share I got the recipe from a lady in Canada apparantly the icing sugar attracts and when they return to nest the bi-carb kills I have been using it for 4years and have had no trouble only fault is it can get a bit sticky on hoses but its easy cleaned off I use it if I see a trail. Give it ago can't harm anything Safe travels

thanks for sharing, will certainly give it a try. Last year when I was " greener than I am today" ( in experience) I baked a cake and left it out to cool down overnite, then I learnt the number 1 camping lesson.... " thou shall not leave cake out when ants can find it !!".... took me ages to get rid of the ants in the MH that found my cake !! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sparrow

" What the heck, die in debt!! "

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:24 pm

good luck next time when you cool a cake place it suspended over a plate of water they cant swim Sandra

Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:55 pm

Or for an even more successful tactic...........call me, and I'll collect it and leave it on my bench for overnight evaluation.:p:)

But sadly, I suspect it may be carried away through the course of the night..............

But hey, ya gotta let me try:D:D

;)
The Signs & Decal Caravan
http://forum.candm.com.au/album.php?albumid=16

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2