View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 gas cylinder levels 

Post gas cylinder levels
:confused: :roll: howdy all, has anyone got any old type ideas of checking how much gas in left in ones gas cylinders??, i know u can buy various types of gadgets from camp/van suppliers but always on the lookout for other ideas
cheers
crocodile

Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Post Re: gas cylinder levels
Gday Croc

The only old method that I Know of is to pour some hotish water down the side of the bottle. The liquid gas will frost up, up to the top liquid level.

This depends on where the bottle is positioned. If it is inside the caravans boot, then it may be a no no.

Otherwise if you know the weight of a full bottle compared to an empty bottle, you could weigh it with bathroom scales, however carrying bathroom scales in the van adds weight!

2007 Pajero DID

Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:50 pm

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop
You can heat soe water and run it down the side of the gas bottle wait about 15-20 seconds then feel the side of the bottle the remaining gas should be cold enough to keep that part of the bottle cool, especially if you have heated the water with gas as use makes the remaining gas cooler.
Frank

BLOGS
http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com
http://thewesternadventure.blogspot.com/

Also member of Travellers chat

Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:52 pm

vwillis wrote:
Gday Croc

The only old method that I Know of is to pour some hotish water down the side of the bottle. The liquid gas will frost up, up to the top liquid level.

This depends on where the bottle is positioned. If it is inside the caravans boot, then it may be a no no.

Otherwise if you know the weight of a full bottle compared to an empty bottle, you could weigh it with bathroom scales, however carrying bathroom scales in the van adds weight!

I'v got fishing scales, however the disadvantage to this method is I have to take the bottle off to weigh it.
glanyard

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:47 pm

I agree with Frank (yes, that does happen occasionally :lol: ). You can actually buy a magnetic strip that changes colour when you tip hot water over it while it's stuck on the gas bottle. As Frank says, the liquid stays cooler and the strip will show where the liquid level is. However, it's just as easy to run your hand down the bottle to feel for the temperature change.

Cheers
Gerry

Member VKS737 - mobile 3535

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Hot water works for me. :)

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]