TO SHOW WE CARE

Freedom to explore this great country the way we want to
Billybotswana

TO SHOW WE CARE

Post by Billybotswana » Wed May 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Just a Thought, don't have many,

Suggest if we all say buy a fruit tree and plant in a free camping area, not to close to water, somewhere out of the way.
As you travel if you see it give it a drink(grey Water) in a few years imagine what it would be like to all.
I figure that it would show that we care and MAYBE!!!! people in authority will see it as a give back to there area.
A bit of googling to find sui.table trees for area we all win.
maybe a page to tell all where and when the tree was planted.

I figure to keep it pertinent we keep it to Fruit trees.

do you think.

TramcarTrev

Re: TO SHOW WE CARE

Post by TramcarTrev » Wed May 18, 2016 7:58 pm

Thats an idea along the lines of what I do, find a suitable spot in the free camp and plant some seeds, usually Pumpkins or Watermelons. I started doing this thinking the local birds would eat them but going back along our paths again often someone remarks about getting a pumpkin from somewhere I planted some seeds...

The trouble with planting fruit trees is that unless they are cared for and sprayed for disease the council will pull them out if they last long enough to not be stolen by the freecamper watching you plant the tree...

A lot of these people are not as civic minded as you Billy, if there is anything to steal they will even toilet paper, firewood - anything that they can so your $20-40 fruit trees dont stand a chance...

I think a good way to show we care is to remind and if necessary rebuke anyone leaving a mess, stayed at 3 freecamps this trip and thats the thing I noted, the rubbish left behind, just thrown on the ground when there is a bin 10 metres away....
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog » Wed May 18, 2016 8:09 pm

BB,
Modern day Johny Appleseeds ?
I agree with TT about the fruit trees though carefully selected natives should not be an issue.
We do our bit by cleaning up the sites we visit, pick up the trash etc. We do revisit our sites on a regular basis so it behooves us to do some house work. Sadly some sites we have seen are beyond redemption.
Take it easy.
SD
Let's do a three sixty and get out of here !

South East Coast Westoz

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Thu May 19, 2016 11:25 am

Not pouring cold water on what at first seems a good idea....but. Just coming back from Dargo and there are many free camping river flats there etc, on prominent sign is not to throw apples and fruit about for animals or seeding as they are getting a huge problem with European wasps living of wild fruit.

So they say.....

I don't know the veracity of those claims and sometimes locals post a lot of crap which amounts to a wild idea on their part. These ideas often have no basis in fact.

Just saying that is what they post. It ain't a law just a signpost. I have never seen it any where else in all my wears camping.
Still it is someones point of view so we abide by it.

I must say I used to go hunting deer down Woods point way and there were many abandoned shacks with wild fruit on them.It was the most miserable fruit on the planet and gone to hell. It really would only attract pests. Seen some good ones though. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Return to “Free Camping”