Free Camping is it a no brainer?

Freedom to explore this great country the way we want to
TramcarTrev

Free Camping is it a no brainer?

Post by TramcarTrev » Mon May 16, 2016 8:21 pm

We are doing some free camping this trip but I see some things that would give freecampers a less than ideal image...
Great free camp (well its $5 donation) at Grenfell so no one puts any money in the box and some people think they are the only campers on the site, parking their rigs diagonally across as many sites as possible just to restrict access to others.

Likewise here at Newey at Cobar, 28 vans here tonight but if people engaged their brain before just stopping and setting up camp there would be room for 30+ vans. 2 rigs decided that its perfectly ok to park across the turning circle at the end of the drive...

Im beginning to wonder about the mentality of some of these folk...
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Shaggy Dog

Re: Free Camping is it a no brainer?

Post by Shaggy Dog » Mon May 16, 2016 8:38 pm

TT,
Fortunately there are no crowds where we camp.
We are either solo or find a location well away from others which is not too hard in our neck of the woods. Except in town of course.
We did the around Oz thing a couple of times and the crowding, and behaviour, at times was something else. I like the quiet of the bush and we did find some gems when it came to quiet camping along the way.
Take it easy.
SD
Let's do a three sixty and get out of here !

South East Coast Westoz

Smokeydk

Post by Smokeydk » Mon May 16, 2016 8:56 pm

you think thats bad.......try backpackers.......why do the insist in parking under your awning.....when they got 300 acres to park in
Just get out there and enjoy

My Blog .. http://smokeydk.blogspot.com.au/

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Tue May 17, 2016 9:07 pm

Smokeydk wrote:you think thats bad.......try backpackers.......why do the insist in parking under your awning.....when they got 300 acres to park in
Because its dry under your awning....
Blogs;

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Wed May 18, 2016 10:01 am

We camped one night at the Devils marbles $5-00 donation per night....The joint was packed out later in the day.
I spoke to 6 people that it was pretty cheap , toilets and bins provided. Not one in the 6 put any money in the box.

They will later, git no change, no envelopes etc etc.
I reckon the 100 envelopes in the box right beside the locked up donation box will just die from UV destruction.

Just plain miserly people, and no one to do a collection either.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

rredbeak

Post by rredbeak » Wed May 18, 2016 10:19 am

im with Shaggy,

we also have our own little known fav spots.that we never pass on.

i know its not nice but im sure all of us have those few spots LOL...if not you will bump into some along the way

Rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

Jay&dee

Post by Jay&dee » Wed May 18, 2016 11:35 am

Hi Tramcar Trev

I'm beginning to wonder about the mentality of some of these folk...

Mate one can on hope that some of these folk represent less than 1% of free campers.
And then they have no respect for follow campers.

I don't geeet it' when campers are to bloody mean to kick a few $$$ into the box to ensure that the camp is there for all to use next time we pass through. Even a gold coin is better than zilsch.

These people I would not invite to my camp fire,

Jay&Dee

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Wed May 18, 2016 8:14 pm

Jay&dee wrote:Hi Tramcar Trev

I'm beginning to wonder about the mentality of some of these folk...

Mate one can on hope that some of these folk represent less than 1% of free campers.
And then they have no respect for follow campers.

I don't geeet it' when campers are to bloody mean to kick a few $$$ into the box to ensure that the camp is there for all to use next time we pass through. Even a gold coin is better than zilsch.

These people I would not invite to my camp fire,

Jay&Dee
What they do not realise is that those upon whose land the freecamp sits and are responsible for its up keep can use the fact that those not paying are causeing a shortfall in costs so the simplest solution is to shut the freecamp down.

Unfortunatley my observations have indicated that is more like 50% refuse to pay but then offer the excuse "Oh we spent money at the next shop" or "Oh we bought fuel from the service station"

Its just plain being miserly....

I conducted an experiment on another forum to see just how lousy and greedy some people are. I wanted to travel overseas with insulin and my Dr organised for me to get a free insulin fridge from Sanofi who make the insulin so I phoned up and got it sorted. Then I thought I'd help out any other diabetics on the forum and posted the details as to how to get an insulin cooler (not the little self contained fridge which is only available to O/S travelers). Sanofi later told me the switchboard lit up with people wanting the coolers and they soon ran out of supplies which told me two things, if something is free then there will be those among us with no use for it but they have to have it because its free and there must be a hell of a lot of closet insulin dependant diabetics on that forum...
Blogs;

Return to “Free Camping”