View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Free campsites that you consider unsafe 

Post Free campsites that you consider unsafe
Hi everyone,

Just researching for an article for the magazine, is there anywhere in Australia where you would never recommend a campsite as being safe due to a bad experience?

Cheers

Glenn Marshall

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:34 pm

Post Re: Free campsites that you consider unsafe
theres 2 kinds of unsafe.

as in ground conditions making it unsafe.

and have a bad experience in a freecamp.

i dont think ive seen a blocked off freecamp on ground conditions from memory.

that leaves bad experiences.gad experiences always happen because of other people,its NEVER us is it!!

but having said that its a one in a million chance you both ended up in the same campsite ,and even more remote you’ll meet again in another camp.So its not the camp but the chances of you meeting undesireable ppl.

As for ACTUAL bad as in safety,ive left a couple of camps before darl because i didnt like what i was seeing.there was NO actual violence but rather a precaution.

I say left in daylight so the next camp i still get a good daylight look at the camp.

So theres NO unsafe or bad camps around OZ.its the chances of meeting undesireables IN that same park,n if you do thenleave before dark.otherwise you’ll be hearing funny noises all night wether thats your imagination or not you wont get a good nights sleep.

rod

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:13 pm

No specific campsites but just things to be aware of when choosing your site.

If it is close to a town, and the gravel pit is littered with cans and burnout marks, don’t choose it on a Friday or Saturday night. Better in excess of twenty kilometres from a large town. If it feels good, it will be.

Flood danger: Be aware of weather conditions, particularly when camping near water courses, in seasonal flood plains, or on ground which could become boggy if wet. Flood waters can occur from rains upstream hundreds of kilometres away. As a general rule, do not camp in dry water courses.

Animals: In the north where Saltwater Crocodiles may be found, do not camp on the ground (eg tent camping) near water courses, and do not venture out in darkness or when you cannot see clearly around you.

In many inland areas, dingoes will come around campsites looking for food. Do not leave any food scraps outside, and bring all shoes inside overnight and keep a close watch on your pets.

Feral animals such as pigs or bulls can be dangerous. When camped near the Western Australia/Northern Territory border, the Overseer from an adjacent station came around warning campers of a rogue wild pig which had killed a dog and attacked a person in an Aboriginal community nearby.

Avoid mosquito bites as mosquito borne diseases can be contracted in any part of Australia.

Bushfires: Never camp in bush when a wildfire is burning in the vicinity, or at times of high fire danger. Do not light campfires where it is not safe, in areas where campfires are not permitted, or during times of the year when campfires are banned.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:27 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks Rod and Motherhen, your replies are much appreciated.

Cheers

Glenn

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:17 pm

I actually have never camped at any free camp that worried me as regards safety.
But we certainly have had our share of noisy neighbours.That however also applies to van parks so it sort of cancells it self out. :)
The first rule to me is to check out the camp and never critisise people. Never had a problem. Clean up my own camp and every thing around my immediate area and no problems.

Sorry but if you can’t give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:38 pm

Kempsey NSW
there is a parking area at the VIC that is available(or used to be) for overnight stays. I read a newspaper article about an elderly couple being attacked in their motorhome in that park.

I would never stay within 30km of that town anyway but I suppose some do not know it’s reputation.

frank

30+ years maintaining Electrical/Security/Duress/Voice/Data systems in Public hospitals. retired to go caravanning for much of the year.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:13 am
Profile WWW

Thanks Paul and Frank, much appreciated

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:03 pm

Thanks everyone, my article has now been completed and submitted and should be in CM202.

Cheers

Glenn Marshall

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:04 pm

Once request please Glenn; if you use the information I have given you that you acknowledge the source. http://www.australiasomuchtosee.com/index.html as it has already been published on this website.

C&M magazine editors have always done this for me before.

I answered the question on open forum in the interests of public safety.

Cheers

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:48 pm
Profile WWW

I find striking up a friendly conversation and showing them over the van , usually makes close friends.

Sorry but if you can’t give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next