Heating while free camping

Freedom to explore this great country the way we want to
Motherhen

Re: Heating while free camping

Post by Motherhen » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:56 am

Do a forum search on diesel heater Bundy. The Snugger is one of the cheaper versions for DIY fitting http://www.caravanersforum.com/viewtopi … =9&t=46082 and http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12628

We don’t have heating and don’t need it, but if we were getting a caravan built would have one fitted. They can be fitted with a separate outlet in the bathroom which doubles as a airing cabinet, and set to come on at a set time in the morning, or have a switch to start is within reach of the bed.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Chonga

Post by Chonga » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:59 am

Hi Bundymum,

You won’t regret fitting a diesel heater. With one fitted your scope for travelling is opened right up all year round.
Last year we ran the heater so that the temperature in the van was about 22 degrees. When the heater first started the fan speed and dosing of diesel was high. As the set temperature was approached the fan and dosing volume decreased to a point where the operation of the heater was barely able to be heard. A whisper of warm air feeding into the body of the van was all that could be heard.

Originally I was setting the thermostat at a lower temperature (about 18 degrees). This setting was easily achieved by the heater and it would shut down only to have to go through the start up procedure when the temperature in the van dropped. At this setting the start up procedure would occur about every half hour and this is where most fan noises occurred.
With the thermostat set to run at about 22 degrees the heater would start and go through the start up procedure once and for the rest of the night the heater could be barely heard as it maintained that temp without shutting down.

My heater is one of the cheapies and by fitting it myself the total cost to me was just over $900.
If you send me a PM with your phone number I will be happy to point out my experiences and pitfalls on installation. The choice of heater is yours as I don’t have any connection with any sales outlets and I can only relate to my happiness with my installation.

Cheers CHONGA

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 pm

We are looking at installing a gas heater. Installation and operation is similar to the diesel units. The down side of the is is it is slightly more expensive to service and requires a licensed gas fitter to connect the gas. The plus is no need for additional fuel tank for the diesel and run much quieter. And for those that say diesel heaters don’t make that much noise read the current thread by rredbeak (things that drive you nuts or wakes you at night)
Sid
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

Chonga

Post by Chonga » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:00 pm

G’day Sid,

I looked up the thread you mentioned with posts by rredbeak. No mention was made by him of diesel heater noise. If set as I said in my thread you will hardly hear any noise right through the night. If set too low the stop/start cycles will create noise regularly through the night.
Gas heaters will probably be quieter but will require extra gas carrying capacity. A fellow camper with a gas heater wondered why the heater stopped through the night. His problem was that he had run out of gas and along with his heater his hot water system and fridge had cut out. I had a spare gas bottle to help him out until he could do the 96km round trip to buy a couple gas bottles and have them filled. With an extra diesel tank at least it can be put in the tug if you are running short.
Both diesel and gas heaters are a worthwhile addition to any RV. Fit either and you will be able to expand your travels all year round to any part of the continent.

Cheers CHONGA

jbrinks

Post by jbrinks » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:50 am

I read on this forum sometime ago the suggestion from an old fisherman who used a terracotta pot plant upside down on his gas stove to heat his cabin in the boat and how good it was . We have used this idea quite a few times and it works really well in the van which is 16′ The heat radiates from the pot and really takes the chill off the van. You don’t need the gas flame up very high at all . We have a vent slightly open and probably don’t use it more than an hour or so before jumping into bed but works a treat for the odd occasion you a free camping in the winter and definitely takes the chill off the van and is actually quite warm compared to outside

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:45 am

NOT recommended in a caravan and can be dangerous :o :shock: :o . Note my bolding in the quote below. It is not the same as boiling the kettle.
jbrinks wrote:I read on this forum sometime ago the suggestion from an old fisherman who used a terracotta pot plant upside down on his gas stove to heat his cabin in the boat and how good it was . We have used this idea quite a few times and it works really well in the van which is 16′ The heat radiates from the pot and really takes the chill off the van. You don’t need the gas flame up very high at all . We have a vent slightly open and probably don’t use it more than an hour or so before jumping into bed but works a treat for the odd occasion you a free camping in the winter and definitely takes the chill off the van and is actually quite warm compared to outside
Ceramic pots
A ceramic device placed over a lighted gas stove for the purpose of space heating is thus liable to held to be an ‘appliance’ that is intended to be a space heating device for that usage – and therefore prohibited.

The reason why it is so dangerous to do this with (say) a ceramic flower pot or steel or cast iron plate, is that the flame is trapped within an area where air may not flow freely, and thus the gas is not fully burned.

Then, that seemingly innocent setup is a carbon monoxide generator – and in some cases exhibits that by burning with that tell-tale yellowish flame, or forming and depositing soot.

This was confirmed to me unequivocally by a Gas Regulator in mid June 2009: when asked specifically if placing a ceramic pot or steel plate over a gas ring, or leaving the door open on a lighted oven, with the intent to heat an interior space, it becomes, by definition a space heater, he responded ‘my bloody oath’!

References to local usage are in Australian Standard AS 5601.
http://www.caravanandmotorhomebooks.com … risks.html
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

villatranquilla

Post by villatranquilla » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:26 am

we have a small (1500w) ceramic fan heater which runs easily on the generator. We put it on about 6pm , only needs to run on low (750w) then turn on electric blankets an hr before bedtime. We turn it all off the genie about 8.30, then watch TV in bed from the batteries using the inverter till 9.30-10.
we use a -5 degrees sleeping bag as a doona and are warm as toast. Never had to turn the electric blankets on through the night (they can run via the inverter).
We had a week of frosts (-3 to -5) and survived very comfortably when bush camping near Bendigo in June.
Suitable clothing and bedding is a must. Could not justify diesel or gas heating when heating is only needed occasionally or for short periods. We also have a small oiled filled heater for use if power is available – it can be run all night if needed
[i][/i]Jenny and Barry – On the road indefinately
2013 Colarado / 2009 Roma Elegance

embi

Post by embi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:01 pm

We have a Truma Gas heater. Yes, they aren’t cheap ($1600) and you need to have a licensed gas fitter to sign off on the install but I would never have a van again without one. We have two daughters 7 and 5 and apart from keeping us comfortable it’s much better being able to keep them warm and toasty. We often send them to bed with the heater on low taking the chill off the air and we get to relax outside under the awning enjoying a drink.

Would i recommend one…. YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT!

Some pics here. http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic … 22#p148422
’13 XTR BT50 Mazda.
’11 21ft Jayco Sterling. “the englands”
2 kids, 4 & 6,
Trying to start our retirement before we retire.

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:16 pm

I am going fo the gas heater in our new van. A freind has the gas heater. I have seen it in use and am quite impressed with it.
Sid
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

oldtrack123

Post by oldtrack123 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:12 am

Bundymum wrote:Thank you every one, for suggestions. I will show my better half and see which way he wats to go
Yes cuddles are better, but when it’s really cold, and your just watching tv, or kicking back before bed, just would like some thing to keep warm
When we picked up our van from Melbourne, bringing it hone, we nearly froze, as we had no way to keep warm, while freezing it home. Not doing that again
We actually have a gas heater, and has safety switch, so might take it, and yes it’s common sense, not to leave them on, when they shouldn’t
Thank you so much to every one. We don’t know unless we ask
HI
I would suggest you do not use the terracoota pot option

While using any unflued gas method in confined spaces is ALWAYS dangerous,
THAT would have to be the worst!!!
The flame becomes oxygen starved & emiits excess CARBON MONOXIDE

That gas is undetectable by odour, & can lead to sudden sleep

If you must use unflued gas forheating, even short term, get a CARBON MONOXIDE detector
Remember DEATHS have occurred in vans /confined spaces due to unflued gas appliances being used!!

PeterQ

Return to “Free Camping”