View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Heating while free camping 

Post Heating while free camping
Was wondering if some one could advise us, as to what does every one use for heating while free camping when in cold places
We are heading off in August from qld, down to Bathurst and we want to free camp
We have a generator, and van is all equipped, but was just wondering what does every one use

Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:21 am

Post Re: Heating while free camping
Hi Bundy,

I started a topic headed DIESEL HEATER INSTALLATION (all capital letters) that deals with the installation of the Snugger heater with pictures. Search for this topic that has installation photos and installation tips etc. Mine works extremely well and the unit size will fit onto a sheet of A4 paper.

All the electrics are supplied and have plug fittings and wiring has generous lengths – the only modification I had to make was the fitting of a different eye fitting to attach to my battery and the cutting of a hole in a jerry can to fit the supplied stand pipe.

If a mug like me can fit one of these heaters anyone can.

With this heater we have been able to travel where we want to in winter without worrying about the cold nights and having to put up with the crowds up north.

We run our heater all night in colder climates and have found that when the set temperature is reached inside the van the fuel dosage is decreased and the fan speed decreases to a speed that is almost imperceptible. When you first start the heater the fuel dosage and fan speed are high but they decrease as the set temp is achieved usually about 10 to 15 minutes.

Cheers CHONGA

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:02 pm

We have a "Little Sun"gas heater that runs off those small canisters you can buy at K Mart etc for about $5.00 for 4.
We only use it when really necessary i.e when having a shower or until we hop into bed for the night.
We do not leave it going when in bed and we set it up adjacent to the doorway and under the hatch for ventilation. This unit has a safety function so if you knock it, it turns itself off.
You can buy these at most camping shops for around $100.00.
The canisters last about 2 hours each, depending on the setting you use.
We have had ours since 2007 and its been great.
I would not recommend those that fit on top of a small gas cylinder as they would be to easily tipped over and no automatic switch off function.

Jeff.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Bundymum wrote:
Was wondering if some one could advise us, as to what does every one use for heating while free camping when in cold places
We are heading off in August from qld, down to Bathurst and we want to free camp
We have a generator, and van is all equipped, but was just wondering what does every one use

Maybe a bit more cuddling at night… :twisted: :twisted:
Regards Neville… :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:53 pm

I could come in for some flack here:-
We have a "Little Buddy" gas heater which " Saved our lives" during the cold months on the New England Tablelands. Yes it could be dangerous, but if common sense prevails, then it is a great item. We would NEVER go to bed with the gas heater on. NEVER. Can use those disposable cannisters, or in our case a small 2kg gas bottle.
Also we have used a couple of small terracotta pots on top of the gas burners in the van. Pushes the temp up in no time.
Risky, Yes!!!! but only if you do not take the necessary action to allow airflow in the van.or tent.
Jay&Dee

Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi Jeffie and Jay&Dee,

I think Bundymum was looking for a heater that will get them through the night in winter in cold places.
I posted the diesel heater way as it is a relatively inexpensive way to have SAFE ALL NIGHT HEATING in places that may have frost or snow.

The diesel heaters (and gas versions) draw air from outside the van and burn the diesel or gas in a heat exchanging furnace. The exhaust from the furnace is then directed back outside the van. This means that you don’t have the worry of toxic gases inside your van. It is a safer method.

We have had the diesel heater for the last two winters and we can confidently and comfortably go south in winter. Being able to travel this way allows us to go to places that aren’t crowded and mostly the daytime temperatures are comfortable. One exception was near Bathurst last winter where the night time temperatures were well into the minuses and the wind and rain didn’t allow the daytime temperatures to get very high. Our diesel heater ran non stop for three days and used from memory about 12 litres of diesel – less than $20 cost to stay in a camp. This stay would have been difficult without a heater that you can safely run 24/7 if necessary.

Our normal heater operation in cool climates is from around 6pm through till 8am – maybe using a couple of litres of diesel per night. We are on the road pretty well all the time and this has been a great option that allows us to travel to anywhere in the country through the winter months.

Cheers CHONGA

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Thank you every one, for suggestions. I will show my better half and see which way he wats to go
Yes cuddles are better, but when it’s really cold, and your just watching tv, or kicking back before bed, just would like some thing to keep warm
When we picked up our van from Melbourne, bringing it hone, we nearly froze, as we had no way to keep warm, while freezing it home. Not doing that again
We actually have a gas heater, and has safety switch, so might take it, and yes it’s common sense, not to leave them on, when they shouldn’t
Thank you so much to every one. We don’t know unless we ask

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Chonga,

I agree entirely with what you say.
If I were going to spend time in cold climes I would invest in a diesel heater too, a friend of mine has one and its great.
However, when we leave home we go express to the warmer areas as quickly as we can – usually 3 days travel and use our little gas heater at night on the way. Same thing on the way back home – express home once we decide its time.

Cheers,

Jeff.

P.S.
I do have a big woolen hat, bed socks, and extra blankets .

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:40 pm

An inbuilt diesel heater such as Webasto (there are several brands) or a Truma fitted gas heater are the only safe options. Portable gas heating is NOT suitable for use in a confined place such as a caravan or tent.

However if you shut the windows, always leaving a the door vents uncovered and a roof vent open, with two people in a small area you should soon get warm. Wear extra track suits and Ugh boots rather than adding heating, and at bed time bed socks with adequate bedding under and over you should be adequate to stay warm.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:46 pm
Profile WWW

Unfortunately, we do need to go south
Have sick grandmother I need to see, and rest of my family, that I havnt seen in long time
So might as well make most of trip, have a look around while we are down there
Think this diesel heating sounds the go
Will get better half yo look into it for me
If I might ask? Where’s best place to buy these?
So again, thank you every one

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next