$52,000 in 10 weeks from Showground campers

Freedom to explore this great country the way we want to
Tripping Away

Re: $52,000 in 10 weeks from Showground campers

Post by Tripping Away » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:11 am

[quote=”Motherhen”]None on the go at the moment Tripping, but various enquiries come up from time to time eg the Parliamentary enquiries in Tasmania 2011 and Queensland 2010. Western Australia had one on Provision Use and Regulation of Caravan Parks (and Camping Grounds) in Western Australia back in 2009 and the effects are just starting with the recent state budget. That one was aimed at commercial caravan parks, but feedback pointed them clearly in the direction of another need.

I have also discussed the idea of RV friendly with Councils occasionally, and they want ‘proof’ of benefits. My own Council do NOT see the light :-x . We should all start with our own home towns or localities (if not city based). Case histories from other towns are needed to do this. The best I got from ours was a signed caravan parking area (with tight turn around for very big rigs), with free power; day area only. They could not see the sense in having a dump point when the local caravan park has one for guests only, so chose free power as a cheaper option :roll: .

Motherhen, Local Councils know the benefits, and what it would be worth to a town. Local Councils know exactly how much a day visitor estimated spends in a town. That is why they have festivals etc. They just don’t seem to want anymore ongoing commitments.
When we go through Bridgetown, we used to stop and do a bit of shopping but Manjimup provides much easier facilities for parking a car and van so we stop there now and leave our money there. I think from memory, there is only one fuel station in Bridgetown where I can get the car and van in without hanging out on the road and that one isn’t always open so I fill up in Manjimup as well.

Opportunity LOST. Very nice van park there on the river down there though.

Old saying There are none so blind as those who will not see…

Best of Luck.

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:04 am

Hi Tripping

Fuel in Bridgetown is no problem for a big rig if you know where to go (office hours only unless you have a Caltex Card).

Bridgetown Shire bean counters count the beans only for themselves, and have no interest in the fortunes or misfortunes of businesses in town.

They like to think the town is a tourist destination, whereas it is just a pretty town people drive through on their way to other destinations.

Yes, specific businesses know how much they make on festival weekends, but day to day they have no idea how many customers are from out of town. I was the financial person in the IGA store.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Dan and Kerrie

Post by Dan and Kerrie » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:10 pm

Marg, we are at Home Hill showgrounds tonight. There are 22 vans/mh here tonight. Very good option. We’ll be back. We would have stayed longer but family illness means we need to head south urgently tomorrow . Will fill both tanks in town tomorrow before we take off. I also intend writing to local council to commend them. Thanks Marg for letting us all know about this place!

Rob & Marg
Location: Oak Flats, NSW – when we’re not on the highways of Australia!

Post by Rob & Marg » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:00 am

Dan and Kerrie,

What a great idea to write to the council about it. They deserve the pat on the back and it’s all good news for nomads. Makes a difference when you have a caretaker who genuinely enjoys contact with travellers. Liza even made laming tons for Father’s Day morning tea in the Happy Hour shed!
Rob & Marg
Mazda BT50 & Royal Flair
http://www.margandrobcaravanning.com

tomcarm

Post by tomcarm » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:23 pm

An interesting comparison, of ‘free camping’ being important because it brought $52,000 in 10 weeks.
On the Sunshine Coast this week, the The Australian Dragon Boat Championships is officially estimated to bring over $1,000,000 during that week alone.
And all tourists seeking accommodation paid their bills.
And the ratepayers were not asked to pay for any accommodation for any of the tourists.
Marg, be careful that the issue is not damaging in its triviality…

I note that no impact on the existing CP was considered …

Jay&dee

Post by Jay&dee » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:47 pm

A couple of years ago on our trip to Cooktown we overnighted at Home Hill freebee adjacent to the railway.
Next day we spent $$$$ at the local supermarket and the chemist and bakery.
On each occasion I advised the owner or manager of the outlets that we just spent $$$ in their operation due to the friendly free camping.
I asked that they advised the local authorities, so as to ensure that the free camp remains open.
We have done s similar exercise in a number of G.N friendly towns. Hopefully we can win the battle against the powers to be to ensure that we can enjoy our right to free camping v C.Parks.
Take a bow Home Hill. I do not think that there is free camping in the sister town of Ayr. But who cares as Home Hill is only a litre of petrol away from Ayr.
And if one is passing thru stop and support this town and it’s businesses.
Jay&Dee

Jeffie

Post by Jeffie » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Last year was the first time we heard about the Home Hill Showgrounds as we usually stay at the freecamp beside the railway line – not the best- trains a bit annoying.
When there we bought fuel and groceries plus had tea at the pub so probably $200.00 + spent in the town by us.
Home Hill Showgrounds will be on our camp list from now on.
Other towns with showgrounds not being utilised this way should take note.

Jeff.
Jeff & Heather
Isuzu MU-X LST
Coronet Grand Prince.

tomcarm

Post by tomcarm » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:29 am

Is it really true that the gates to the Home Hill Showground are locked at 6.30pm each night and tourists can’t get in or out until morning?
A bit ‘inmate’ rather than ‘intimate’ to me …

bluebus

Post by bluebus » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi.
The gates at the invermay showgrounds in Launceston locked at 9.30pm no ifs or buts there locked and that is all there is to it. :rolleyes:
what if there is emergency who do ring to get the ambulance in & out would you cut the lock off yes i would no ifs or buts.

Karen,Ron and the Girls. :razz:

Just coasting along. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Free Camping”