Are there enough dump points?

Freedom to explore this great country the way we want to
Joseph vW

Are there enough dump points?

Post by Joseph vW » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:18 am

Hi guys,

As we all know, a lot of free campers have their own toilets on board their RVs which brings up the inevitable question of what to do with the black water. What I'd like to know from you is:
  • Are there enough publically accessible dump points spread throughout the country to satisfy the needs of a growing RV population?
  • Why do you think some towns are happy to provide dump points at no charge while others refuse to provide them, even at cost to the user?
  • What do you suggest people do with their black water when free camping in remote areas where there are no dump points available?
I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Joseph van Woerkom
Former electrical engineer
Now C&M Technical Editor, 4WD & towing instructor
2000 Holden Jackaroo 3L Auto T/D
1993 Prattline Lo-Tow
[email protected]

Motherhen

Re: Are there enough dump points?

Post by Motherhen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:54 am

Hi Joseph

Thanks in part to CMCA scheme there are increasing numbers of dump points, and no lists are all inclusive or totally up to date. You can contact me privately if you what a list of the on line links for dump points (see Please Explain thread for why privately) or Google “Many of the public dump points are listed at the following”. If there is none in a town - ask at visitor centre or Shire office. I have done this and they have said "we have never been asked that before". If they do not get asked they do not know there is a need.

When travelling in the Central Australia there are very few. But there is a LOT of remote red desert sand, we have a post hole shovel and use the environmentally friendly formaldehyde free sodium percarbonate based generic nappy powder which breaks down the cassette contents to a slurry which disappears into the desert sands. Google “Toilets: What types can you get? What about chemical alternatives?” If you find the correct article it will tell you ethical ways of choosing where to bury.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi Joseph ,
1. I reckon that there are never enough dump points available for the travelling caravaner/motor homer. Being a plumber I know that it is not hard to build these things into the existing toilets that are already available. It saves having to use a toilet facility and all the cleaning down associated with that internal dumping.
2. I would say just plain lack of understanding of the needs of the public. The non realisation that these facilities attract travellers.
3. When free camping we just let the water run to some nearby trees, if we are isolated. When in town and having to get mobile, if no dump points are within cooee, I see nothing with stopping in an isolated spot ( out of town and off the road), and running the water to a tree. The purpose of a holding tank is not to flood a permanent or popular area. Letting the water go in an off the beaten track spot wouldn’t be a problem.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Joseph vW

Post by Joseph vW » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks Motherhen,

Some good suggestions there regarding chemical additives and how to dispose of black water when free camping in isolated areas where there are no dump points.

Thanks also for the pointing me to the link for on-line lists on dump points. Other links that people might like to explore are:

http://www.dumppoints.com
http://www.toiletmap.gov.au/find.aspx?type=caravan
http://www.cmca.net.au/pages/motorhomin ... dp_listing
http://www.sanidumps.com/sanidumps_australia.php

However, what I'm really after is people's views on the questions I raised in the OP, especially on whether there are enough dumps points spread around the country (granted, in remote places like the desert country they aren't likely to be found).

The other question is a political one and I'd like to see a debate on and why some towns are happy to provide dump points while others are seemily hostile to the idea.

Cheers,
Joseph van Woerkom
1993 Prattline Lo-Tow
[email protected]

Joseph vW

Post by Joseph vW » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi DT,

Thanks for your input - looks like you snunk in while I was replying to MH.

Code: Select all

When free camping we just let the water run to some nearby trees, if we are isolated. When in town and having to get mobile, if no dump points are within cooee, I see nothing with stopping in an isolated spot ( out of town and off the road), and running the water to a tree. The purpose of a holding tank is not to flood a permanent or popular area. Letting the water go in an off the beaten track spot wouldn’t be a problem.
Do you dispose of black water this way or just grey water? The latter I can understand, not sure I agree with handling black water this way. Can you elaborate?

Cheers,
Joseph van Woerkom
1993 Prattline Lo-Tow
[email protected]

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:30 pm

I started with my own Shire - something local residents are in the best position to do, and if we all do it in our own home towns we should get somewhere. Their answer was "no it is too expensive" when i had already referred them to the CMCA scheme :-x :roll: . They also added that there was already a dump point at the local caravan park - which i know is available to their own customers only. The caravan park operators will not even offer a fee for service to those not staying. My Shire is a brick wall and my bruised head hurts. As a concession for not taking up the dump point suggestion, they have provided a caravan parking area (part of my submission), and have added "free power" with four outlets for caravanners to use when parked in town - daytime access only.

But as said - ask at the tourist centre/shire office when passing through and if they haven't got one, make the point known. They do not know of the need unless we tell them. The network of dump points is growing.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

peter915

Post by peter915 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:49 pm

While on the subject of dump points and as a licensed plumber, my bitch is they rarely seem to be installed correctly.
I've see some were the surrounding ground level is level with the concrete apron for the dump point - any heavy rain would simply enter the sewer. Not good for sewer treatment works.

And - on that vein - there is no reason why a dump point couldn't be some 300 or 400 or 500mm up off surrounding ground level.

A/ this would stop any surface water entering the drain.

B/ but more importantly , it would be more ergonomic for the user to empty the cassette into the drain. With a lot of dump points set at ground level, when you have to lift the cassette up to empty it, over the centre of the drain, whilst bent over - its not very user friendly. I usually get some of the waste splashing back up. :o
With the apron (dump tray) up higher, it would facilitate this operation a lot easier.

Peter

Joseph vW

Post by Joseph vW » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi Peter,

Do you means like this?
dump_point.jpg
Cheers,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joseph van Woerkom
1993 Prattline Lo-Tow
[email protected]

peter915

Post by peter915 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:00 pm

Joseph,
So what the hell is that (in your photo) ??? Some alien receptacle ???

Joseph vW

Post by Joseph vW » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Yeah, I can see why you might think that. It's really a dump point, apparently soemwhere on the Nullarbor Plain. This is what it looks like from the other side.

[img]
dump_point (2).jpg
[/img]

Cheers,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joseph van Woerkom
1993 Prattline Lo-Tow
[email protected]

Return to “Free Camping”