another free camp closed

Freedom to explore this great country the way we want to
snow&ree

another free camp closed

Post by snow&ree » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Oakabella camp site between Geraldton and Northampton number 408 in camps 4 has been closed and rock piles placed to stop entry.It is after pressure from the caravan park that it is unhygenic and not safe to re enter the highway.The park prices per night increased as soon as 408 site was closed.There is a site on west side of highway 1km north of old site ok for a few vans.Going south there is a small site 1.5km on west side of highway then a good site 7km south of site 408 on east side of highway 200 mtrs down the Howatharra road on the left [old school site]

Snow&ree
2006 Cruiser & Supreme Territory

dieseltojo

Re: another free camp closed

Post by dieseltojo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi snow&ree,
Good info for the traveller.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:40 pm

I know the rest area has been closed, but thought it was never an authorised 24 hour rest area anyway. Quite a bit further but worth going on to is the 24 rest area at Galena Bridge which is well away from the highway on the Murchison River, and has pit toilets and a dump point. Main Roads WA provide some good 24 hour rest areas along the north west highways.

Perhaps the unhygienic complaint was justified, knowing what some rest areas can get like when toilets are not provided. This is not necessarily from overnight stopping either.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

tomcarm

Post by tomcarm » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:24 pm

MH - excellent answer ...

rredbeak

Post by rredbeak » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:59 am

Snow&ree,
do yoiu by chance kniw the CP name please ?

Cheers Rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Free Camping”