WASHING MACHINES WHEN FREE CAMPING

Freedom to explore this great country the way we want to
JayDee

Re: WASHING MACHINES WHEN FREE CAMPING

Post by JayDee » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:38 am

Hans,
Great invention and good idea, but our problem is that we do not have enough room for a washing machine item of this massive size. Ha!! ha!!
Jay&Dee

jessdogster

Post by jessdogster » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:45 am

We have a Dometic (Electrolux) 3kg front loader fitted.

It uses 44 litres on a full wash cycle and the Honda 2.0 has no problems running it. If we have the luxury of readily available water when free camping we use it, if not, its bucket wash then into the machine for a spin cycle - very handy.

I wasn't sure we'd get much use out of the machine when we bought the van but thought it might be attractive come re-sale time. After time, I'm sure glad we have it as its paid for itself not only in dollar terms, but in convenience many times over. A washing machine will be one of the first must haves in any future van.
cheers
Jdog

Chonga

Post by Chonga » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:42 am

Hi Baroma577,

When cost savings are being added up the cost of getting to a laundry has to be taken into account.
We were camped at a site where we had a 25 kilometre round trip to the laundry and back. We would always top up the groceries but it is still a cost just the same.

Our machine only weighs 12Kg and the Owner/Trainer can easily lift it. When travelling it lives in the shower cubicle without any problems.

When looking at the various washing machines on E-Bay the load capacities on the same machine vary from seller to seller. e.g. A machine on one site has a 2.5Kg load, the same machine on another site has a 3.6Kg load and another site has the same machine at 5Kg - go figure. Our machine is any one of those 3 figures - the Owner/Trainer is happy and that is all that counts.

The plastic that forms the outer case so far seems durable enough. It has so far stood up to the punishment that living on the road full time can dish out.

The machine has already more than paid for itself. If it breaks down or gets broken we would immediately replace it.

As for waste water disposal we run the water onto the ground with the waste water from the shower etc. Some people would say that this is pollution - tell that to the resident cows that loved the patch of green grass that grew at this point.

Cheers CHONGA

ParamountCruiser

Post by ParamountCruiser » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:18 am

Chonga wrote:The Owner/Trainer hit the internet and got one for $103.98 delivered
Would you mind telling where from ?
Neil

Boroma577

Post by Boroma577 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:51 pm

nsgnomad wrote: Hi Boroma577,
Now that you've mentioned the economics of owning your own w/machine, I have to admit it makes sense as well as the other reasons for having your own.
I am thinking about a a 5 kg twin tub also. Is yours a plastic body or metal? How as it stood up to all the moving around and removing it from the vehicle to use and packing up again? Have you ever found disposing of the used water a problem? Have you any idea of how much water it uses per load? :rolleyes:

Plastic tub with L, M and H water marks inside the wash tub.....I mainly use the M water fill and can wash 2 queen size sheets and 2 pillow cases in it no effort at all.

Disposing of the water.....no issues. Most are happy to have you run it onto the ground but away from any water course. I also use the generic brand of Nappy Soaker (woolies) because it is eco friendly.

Think from memory the M load is about 23 litres and then I rinse in one of those large plastic flexi tubs. Will top up wash water with rinse water and get new rinse water.

It is tied down in the back of the car....so no movement to be concerned about.

This is the same as the one I purchased http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-PORTABLE ... 4377wt_987

There is no pump on it, just gravity fed....so select 'Drain' and drop the hose and the water runs out.

Boroma577

Post by Boroma577 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:01 pm

ParamountCruiser wrote:
Would you mind telling where from ?

Neil, I bought mine from Ebay...less than $90 delivered to me in 2010 at a CP in NQ. Not sure where Chonga got his from.

This is the same as the one I bought. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-PORTABLE ... 4377wt_987

Like Chonga....when mine breaks down......I will just buy another one at that price.

Chonga

Post by Chonga » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi Paramount Cruiser,

We think the above websites were where we got ours from.
We paid $103.98 and are very happy.

Cheers CHONGA

ParamountCruiser

Post by ParamountCruiser » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks Boroma577 & Chonga for those links.
Neil

JayDee

Post by JayDee » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:44 pm

The washing that Boroma 557 bought and shows in the link is the same one we purchased from ebay for around $100. Our new van has a Lemar machine so we are going to sell ours for around the $60 mark pick up from Logan City south of Brisbane. P.M. me if anyone is interested. Excellent working condition.
Well worth the cost and payback is guarantees.
Jay&Dee

Return to “Free Camping”