WASHING MACHINES WHEN FREE CAMPING

Freedom to explore this great country the way we want to
TheScotts

WASHING MACHINES WHEN FREE CAMPING

Post by TheScotts » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi all

We were wondering how much power does a washing machine pull when free camping??

At the moment we have just the little automatic 2.5kg but in the future when we are full
timers, we will probably get a 5kg model...we know our lights, phone chargers and laptop
chargers will be ok...once we set up with batteries and panels etc. but not sure about
washing machines...

Again we say thanks you ahead of answers because everyone on here is just so helpful...

Gary & Sheree
Gary & Sheree Scott
40th Ann 97 Landcruiser Petrol
2014 Jayco Silverline

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Re: WASHING MACHINES WHEN FREE CAMPING

Post by Frank & Brenda » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:21 pm

There should be a plate/sticker on the back of the machine which will tell you the wattage of the machine, that's how much power it uses plus a margin for the inverter power, unless you are using it with a genny (recommended)
Frank

TheScotts

Post by TheScotts » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks again Frank & Brenda

Ok so I get that now...we will have a Generator so probably best to use it through that - would be daytime when washing so should not disturb people to much:-)

Thanks again

Gary & Sheree :D
Gary & Sheree Scott
40th Ann 97 Landcruiser Petrol
2014 Jayco Silverline

Rick P

Post by Rick P » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Yep all sounds good but you really need town water as well, or pump water from a creek or something otherwise you are going to use a lot of your tank water. Also if you have a heater on your washing machine it's best to switch it off, the generator won't like it one little bit.
Cheers
Rick P

MikeL

Post by MikeL » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:39 pm

One thing to watch out for is that the generator supplies the correct current to operate the washing machine.

Some years ago I worked in the Engineering Dept of Swagman Motorhomes, the Onan generators that were fitted to the motorhomes would not power the front loaded washing machines that were fitted to the larger motorhomes.

This was 8 years ago the newer generators may be better now.
Regards,

MikeL

2011 Pajero GLS 3.2L
Regent "Clare" 17'6" single axle van.

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:42 pm

Hi Gary,
We have just yesterday ordered one of these:
http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/prod ... ts_id=9131
150watt wash and 80watts spin and hope to run it off the battery via an inverter. This is the lowest power user I have seen and most people from other posts are very happy with them.
If you plan on using a generator then there are many other high powered machines and probably even better but as said water could be an issue.

150watts (13amps) is a lot of load on a battery and probably more like 200watts once inverter losses are considered but as it is only on for 15minutes may not be to heavy on the battery with say 300watts of solar behind it.

So bigger is better but will use more water and power!

JR
:razz:

Chonga

Post by Chonga » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi Scotts,

We resisted for a long time buying a washing machine.

Recently the Owner/Trainer saw one operating outside a new neighbour's van and went to inspect. She came back impressed. I spoke to the neighbour's Junior Partner and he used a bucket to carry water a short distance from the dam into the washing machine. The water from the wash cycle was saved in one of those soft plastic tubs and recycled into the machine for the next wash.

This twin tub machine is the same as the Companion branded machine (with different labeling). Capacity 3.5Kg wash load and 2Kg in the spin dryer. This means that you have two spin load for every wash load - Thats OK it works fine.

The neighbour told me that the machine was a bargain at $150 picked up.
The Owner/Trainer hit the internet and got one for $103.98 delivered - neighbour unimpressed!!

I have a submersible bilge pump that was put on the end of a long hose. On the end of the hose I have a particle filter. The generator has to be on of course and I attached an Anderson plug extension lead to run the pump and this supplies the water for the wash and rinse. Haven't used it in dirty creek water yet but time will tell.

The machine only weighs 12Kg and it works better than our expectations. The only other problem was where to put it for transport - it ended up in the shower cubicle and because it only weighs 12Kg it is no problem.

We resisted buying a washing machine for a couple of years. Sometimes you camp a long way away from laundries and this was time and money consuming. Compared to hand washing this machine does a much better job.

Cheers CHONGA

Boroma577

Post by Boroma577 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:36 pm

I have a small 5kg twin tub washer I purchased from eBay delivered for $90 about 18 months ago. I only ever run it from the genny. I only ever use water from an alternate source ie: tap, river, creek, dam etc....never the on board water from the van.

I too was never going to buy a washing machine....could not see the need for it.....until I spent $155 in 9 weeks in washing machines.....soon changed my mine.

There is no room for mine in the van so it rides in the back of my car. It is lightweight and very easy to move about.

nsgnomad

Post by nsgnomad » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Boroma577 wrote:I have a small 5kg twin tub washer I purchased from eBay delivered for $90 about 18 months ago. I only ever run it from the genny. I only ever use water from an alternate source ie: tap, river, creek, dam etc....never the on board water from the van.

I too was never going to buy a washing machine....could not see the need for it.....until I spent $155 in 9 weeks in washing machines.....soon changed my mine.

There is no room for mine in the van so it rides in the back of my car. It is lightweight and very easy to move about.
Hi Boroma577,
Now that you've mentioned the economics of owning your own w/machine, I have to admit it makes sense as well as the other reasons for having your own.
I am thinking about a a 5 kg twin tub also. Is yours a plastic body or metal? How as it stood up to all the moving around and removing it from the vehicle to use and packing up again? Have you ever found disposing of the used water a problem? Have you any idea of how much water it uses per load? :rolleyes:

A'van

Post by A'van » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:37 pm

http://garmentsandgadgets.com.au/shop/i ... cts_id=541

How about this one, it's been tested and tried. Good exercise, no mowing parts and you can play music on it as well .

Hans
E&H
Toyota Aurion + A'van Aliner

Return to “Free Camping”